Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shop safety ideas-pls contribute yours

Post Thanks / Like

Shop safety ideas-pls contribute yours

In another thread a poster suggested a safety thread and I thought that was a great idea. That thread was about aluminum sheet fabricating but let's open this to anything having to do w/ building an FFR.
    My two are these;
    1- Actually I was using a radial arm saw on wood many years ago when my wife came into the garage and yelled my name-loud enough I could hear it over the saw. I jumped, fortunately w/o injury. Turned off the saw and had a short conversation w/ her explaining how it was easily cutting through a 2x6 so what it could do to me. I asked her from then on, to come into the garage, and flash the lights off and on until I got the message, and turned off whatever tool I was using. She still does it.
    2- When cutting something on the band saw saw I don't push the piece w/ my hands and arms. I set my hands out at the edge of the table, so part of the rear edge of the palms are over hanging the table, and I push w/ my fingers. This way my hands and arms are somewhat locked into place so, if something happens, I don't have my arm muscles pushing my fingers into the blade. I also use any variety of scraps of metal or wood between my fingers and the piece being cut.
    3- Ok a third one. If you are figuring out how to do something and your plan has the little guy in the back of your head saying something like, 'a little scary but it will be OK', STOP. Find another way.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig,

This is a great thread. Since I catch myself being haphazard from time to time. Here are my tips.

1. HEARING PROTECTION. I'm 29 years old and have tinnitus. It started a couple years ago. Power tools and hammers are loud.

2. Don't wear safety sandals. Because a piece of glowing hot aluminum you just cut with your grinder would land in between your toes. Not fun. Wear proper footwear

Post Thanks / Like
    Clamp stuff in the drill press, don't trust yourself to be able to hold it.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep your work area clean, clean your mess as you go and pick up your tools when not in use.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Being single I usually work in my garage alone. I recently installed an a/c unit. I can't take full advantage of it if I'm working under the car so I don't use the a/c and have the garage door open so I can be heard if I need help. I keep my cordless phone close by as well. Naturally I don't get under the car until I have jack stands inplace.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    when working with epoxies, adhesives and paints ventilate area and wear a charcoal filter mask.
    I always wear latex gloves, cheap harbor freight ones, I go through lots of them.
    took a while to get used to them but no fingerprints on anything, and cleanup is quick and easy
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When sanding, drilling, grinding, actually almost all of the time wear eye protection.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've shared this before but it seems appropriate here.

We had a sign in a sheet metal shop I worked in the read:

"It is a scientifically proven fact that fingers on the back side of the panel you are drilling are 25% longer than our think"

Keep that in mind when installing those panels. It's a tedious job. Quit when you are tired.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    FIRE EXTINGHISHER. You'd be surprised how many car guys don't keep one handy, in the garage or car. It's a quick way to lose a lot of investment either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    When working under my car on the lift I was constantly hitting my bare head. I came across something new to me that was called a 'bump cap". It is basically a baseball style cap with a little bit of a hard shell built in. Very nice for protecting your noggin. Just google bump cap and there are lots of options for $25 or so. Love wearing it when I am under the car.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    All great contributions! I'll add these two: mechanic's gloves and a good respirator. I like the HF nitrile gloves, but they aren't thick enough for many tasks. My gloves have saved many a cut finger. Anything dust related (e.g. powder coating) wear a respirator.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the eye protection
    Had to get a metal splinter removed from my eye in my younger stupider days blown in from an air nozzle just cleaning up.
    And a second time a mower kicked up a small rock you think you'd blink but it was moving to fast

Bottom line I've got lots of clear and tinted safety glasses in my shops, truck and in toolboxes

They are cheap insurance Like I've told my kids you can't drive if you can't see

Chris aka Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    X3 on eye protection! It doesn't have to be a power tool for eye protection to be necessary. Hammering, blast of air, shavings or dirt falling....... the list goes on and on.

X2 on the hearing protection. Even use noise isolating earbuds, anything to protect hearing. Goes for driving these cars also.

X2 on the gloves also metal cuts like a knife.

Golly I'm beginning to sound like a shop teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    My shop teacher in high school would always tell us not to have loose clothing on while using power tools. This goes for all types of tools, my sister once got her hair caught up in a mixer when making a cake. Luckily she didn't get hurt other than having her older brother teasing her for a few months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eye protection and gloves. Lots of great safety tips here.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    In another thread a poster suggested a safety thread and I thought that was a great idea.
    1- Actually I was using a radial arm saw on wood many years ago when my wife came into the garage and yelled my
    name-loud enough I could hear it over the saw. I jumped, fortunately w/o injury..
    Craig
    I recently had a discussion with my granddaughter about safety on a radial arm saw. Her shop teacher taught her to
    pull the saw towards her through the work.
    Most people do it that way but it's really like trying to pull a skilsaw backwards towards you. It wants to grab and jump
    when fed that way. Pull the saw all the way out, place the work behind it and push the saw back towards the work, you
    are in complete control of the feed rate that way. Skeudomorphic < sp?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    1: Quit before you get tired!
    2: If things don't seem to be going right take a break and come back tomorrow!
    3: Listen to that voice in your head that is saying "Whoa!"
    4: Always take a second look before using that hammer or power tool!