Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you know when to stop filling gas?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know when to stop filling gas?

I have gen1 tank (33 rod).
    I have a 5/8" vent line from top of tank to inlet of fuel filler cap so that air can be pushed out of the tank and back to atmosphere when filling fuel.

Question is, how do I know when the tank is full? Will the gun click and stop automatically like it does with normal cars? Or do I have to watch through the filler tube and once I see gas I stop?

I do not know approx how much gas I have in the tank now. The sender is useless and I don't know my fuel consumption, so my guess is anywhere between 1/4 and 2/3. If I go at fuel station and fill her up, how do I know when to stop?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think both generation tanks have the fill pipe lower than the top of the tank. My guess is that they did this to clear something on the 33 rod... and I can't remember on the 818 if there is a frame tube in the way of where you'd put the fill neck if it were on the top of the tank.

The issue with having the fill neck below the top of the tank is that when the tank level reaches a point parallel with the top of the fill tube hole (where it connects to the tank), the gas is going to start sloshing up the fill tube. If you slow the pump way down, the tank will continue to fill but you'll end up filling the fill pipe to the very top. So unfortunately the answer is: You really don't know. If you fill it full speed, or close to full speed, it will click off when the fuel reaches the top of the fill tube whole where it connects to the tank. I think that's like 2/3 full or so? From there you can just leave it be or you can slow fill it while you watch the gallons on the pump and only add in another 3 gallons or so and that should be basically full.

I actually ran out of gas in mine a few weeks back. My gas gauge doesn't work either. It used to work quite well but when I added my surge tank and hydramat, I must have got the float arms hung up inside the tank when putting everything back together and now it just reads full all the time. So I just reset my trip odometer every fill-up and ensure I get gas by 150 miles on the odo. That's considering filling it only until the pump clicks off the first time (probably 2/3 mark).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's more 1/3 at the top of the filler neck's hole. Cuz it's lower than the fuel level sender and the sender is about at half.

That must be really annoying to do all this and watch all that just cuz the tank is poorly designed. But I understand when it clicks off now, I thought it was clicking too early cuz not enough air escapes from the tank when filling from the bottom. But that's not it. So even with a 5/8 vent to let air escape while fuel fills up, it won't click when it reaches full "tank".
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that's right.... no matter the vent size, it will click well before full. But the vent helps... without it, it will would click off on empty, and just constantly click off unless you fill super slow. So you did good by adding that.... it just can't make up for the bad fuel inlet port placement on the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had the same question Frank.
    I filled the other day and it clicked off after 30 litres. I didn't bother trying to fill more, and I don't have a vent for the fill tube, only the tank vent FFR supplied.
    I'll try again and see how it fills.
    My tank reads pretty good. when it shows empty, its empty. Got to check that out the other day when I had to empty the tank for the dunk test.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    30L is about 55-60% of the tank so that's quite in Jeff's territory, maybe there is more fuel than I thought when filled just over the 2" drain (that's how I call it).

I'll keep that in mind, 30L is still acceptable to drive with and prevents fuel leaks on the pump ring. lolll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    when I fill it up I'll monitor the fuel sender seal.
    How many gallons or liners is this 33 tank supposed to hold?

By the way, you can purchase new rings with a round section. Not sure who posted, but I did buy some a while ago.
    Let me know if you are interested and I'll look it up.
    Harley
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    49.2 Litres (13gals).

What are those rings with round section? I'm very very very very interested!!
    They are leak free?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the thread on the O-Rings: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post214070

See post #9. I tried them and they worked for a while. After a bunch of heat cycles, they leak slightly (mostly on hard right turns when all the gas is pushing against the fuel level sender). I see a Boyd tank in my future over the winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frank,
    Here is a thread on fuel leak....
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...till-fuel-leak

some guys the ring worked, others used RTV.

In hindsight... now i wish I bought the boyd tank..... even though I don't have problems.
    Just thinking about reliability.

Here are the orings I bought just in case. I haven't installed yet. I'm thinking about installing a hydramat. If I do, or if i develop a leak, I'll use the new orings.

oring.jpg

I think I have 5 or 6, so if you want to try them I'll send you two.
    Last edited by Harley818; 08-15-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Harley
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey tnx guys, 5mins apart on the replies. lolll

I found those o-rings at my local store, will order some, I'll keep you posted Harley in case they tell me I need to order a minimum of 100 (at 40 cents each, a lot more expensive than at the o-ring store).

Probably these rings along with RTV fuel resistant would last for a long time. That's what I'll aim for.
    Frank