Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Sound System

Post Thanks / Like

My Sound System

I built my MK4 with a power amp in the trunk and an input jack on the console so I could play the MP3 files on my cell phone. That hasn't turned out to be very useful, until now. I abandoned the jack on the console and installed a 12V Bluetooth adapter on the amp. Then I found a text to MP3 converter on the Internet and made a description of my car. Now when people walk up to the car I play them this file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...WppLUZwa2Nrb3c

or this file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...FFOWXlVcVg2UmM

Great for car shows and gas stations.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea but I could not make the second link work ...
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty if I saw a cool car out and walked up to the owner to ask about it and they started playing that i would pretty much immediately lose interest and walk away. I couldn't even make it through the entire audio clip sitting at home on my computer. Maybe that is just me.
    Is this a joke or what kind or reaction are you getting when you do this?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Brian.
    I love talking to people at cars shows and cruise nights. And every stop at the gas pumps is like a mini car show. I'm usually outta breathe and needing a drink by the end. No shortage of questions to answer or stories to tell. I'll be sticking with convention.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. Unique and personal. My first reaction was less than enthusiastic. But when I listen to that voice, I changed my mind.

Now you have to hook that voice up to the alarm system. Like, "If you don't stop touching me, I will scream.)

I couldn't open the second link either.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    In all honesty if I saw a cool car out and walked up to the owner to ask about it and they started playing that i would pretty much immediately lose interest and walk away. I couldn't even make it through the entire audio clip sitting at home on my computer. Maybe that is just me.
    Is this a joke or what kind or reaction are you getting when you do this?
    My thoughts exactly, seems sorta rude, " sorry I don't have time to talk to you, just listen to my prerecorded reply"

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only showed it to a couple of friends who liked the idea but they don't do shows. After reading your comments, I'll stick with using my sound system for the original purpose. Thanks to all for taking time to respond.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpipes View Post
    I've only showed it to a couple of friends who liked the idea but they don't do shows. After reading your comments, I'll stick with using my sound system for the original purpose. Thanks to all for taking time to respond.

Brian
    I didn't mean to sound to critical. Part of the thing I like best about the hobby is how everyone does their own individual things to make their ride unique. I'd just rather hear you tell me about your hard work that the computer voice.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't mean to sound to critical. Part of the thing I like best about the hobby is how everyone does their own individual things to make their ride unique. I'd just rather hear you tell me about your hard work that the computer voice.
    I'm surprised no other senior member has chimed in on this thread in defense of the OP's idea/mod. I personally, would not want to be on the receiving end of your criticism. Take it for what it is, if you like it, say so, if you don't, don't say anything. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion. I'm sure the OP feels like crawling under a rock let alone ever posting on this forum again. No idea is a "joke". No modification is a "joke". It's his car, his idea, his modification, and makes him proud enough to post it on this forum. I'm glad the Ford Motor Company didn't think the idea of shoving a V-8 into a British two seater was a joke else we wouldn't be replicating the car we are.

I for one, applaud the OP's idea/modification as it spawns other "ideas". How about adding an plunger switch to the passenger door and when opened, the voice recording says "Caution, exhaust pipes are hot".

You get my point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I'm surprised no other senior member has chimed in on this thread in defense of the OP's idea/mod. I personally, would not want to be on the receiving end of your criticism. Take it for what it is, if you like it, say so, if you don't, don't say anything. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion. I'm sure the OP feels like crawling under a rock let alone ever posting on this forum again. No idea is a "joke". No modification is a "joke". It's his car, his idea, his modification, and makes him proud enough to post it on this forum. I'm glad the Ford Motor Company didn't think the idea of shoving a V-8 into a British two seater was a joke else we wouldn't be replicating the car we are.

I for one, applaud the OP's idea/modification as it spawns other "ideas". How about adding an plunger switch to the passenger door and when opened, the voice recording says "Caution, exhaust pipes are hot".

You get my point.
    Little tough on Scott aren't you? He wasn't the only one that wasn't enthusiastic about it. This is a pretty civil forum compared to many others. But you still can't be thin skinned. Not everyone is going to love everything you do.

I've gone to a lot of car shows over the years. As a participant and also as an observer. I've never seen (or heard) anything like that. Original and outside the box? I guess. But most people want to look with their eyes. A car show sign is a great touch if you do it a lot. Personal conversations are the best.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-15-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably good idea with a motion sensor and the owner not around. Not for me, too impersonal and commercial.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Little tough on Scott aren't you? He wasn't the only one that wasn't enthusiastic about it. This is a pretty civil forum compared to many others. But you still can't be thin skinned. Not everyone is going to love everything you do.

I've gone to a lot of car shows over the years. As a participant and also as an observer. I've never seen (or heard) anything like that. Original and outside the box? I guess. But most people want to look with their eyes. A car show sign is a great touch if you do it a lot. Personal conversations are the best.
    Probably so.

Post Thanks / Like
    It ok. My apologies to mrpipes for being that way in the first place. One of the best parts of this hobby has been the support I have received from this forum and the helpful attitude of almost everyone on board. I have certainly called out others for acting inappropriately so need to hold myself to the same standard of conduct. At a minimum I could have gone about voicing my opinion in a much friendlier manner. There are plenty of things in the Cobra world that don't fit my personal taste, just as Im sure there are plenty of items on my car that don't fit others taste. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Everyone should do as they like. Sorry again Mrpipes!

Post Thanks / Like
    It ok. My apologies to mrpipes for being that way in the first place. One of the best parts of this hobby has been the support I have received from this forum and the helpful attitude of almost everyone on board. I have certainly called out others for acting inappropriately so need to hold myself to the same standard of conduct. At a minimum I could have gone about voicing my opinion in a much friendlier manner. There are plenty of things in the Cobra world that don't fit my personal taste, just as Im sure there are plenty of items on my car that don't fit others taste. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Everyone should do as they like. Sorry again Mrpipes!
    Scott,

If I was rough in the delivery of my message, I apologize. Your response and subsequent apology to Mrpipes above has earned my respect as a fellow builder and a man.

Post Thanks / Like
    No harm, no foul, Scott.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey mrpipes, neat idea (I'll give you credit for creativity).

I'm just curious what your sound system setup is. Where are your speakers and what are you running? also, what did you use for your bluetooth connected to the amp?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually find this an interesting idea. We have a local weekend gathering that is large enough to spend 2 hours walking and looking at cars. If you park your car and walk away, this could be on while you're not there. Gives people a little bit of info and tells about the car when there's nobody there. Leave the volume low enough so that just those around the car can hear it.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd leave my car when other people can mill around it, lean on it, etc.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Have done a number of Cars & Coffee where I wander off for quite a while. Seems like a good idea for times you are not by the car.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I see this as an audio version of the signs/posters that many builders set up in front of their car. A good idea if delivered properly.
    While I have immensely enjoyed and benefitted from the forums enthusiasm and willingness to share, the added social 'responsibility' of owning and driving one of these cars is one aspect i dread. I am a fairly private, quiet person by nature and would not normally chat it up with strangers.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Hey mrpipes, neat idea (I'll give you credit for creativity).

I'm just curious what your sound system setup is. Where are your speakers and what are you running? also, what did you use for your bluetooth connected to the amp?
    I have the usual 2 speakers between the seats and a power amp in the trunk behind the speakers, The power amp and the Bluetooth adapter are switched on and off together with a switch on my console. The adapter is suspended under the body above the amp. Orientation of the adapter is important to maximize range.

The speakers are Jensen JRX252
    The amp is Jensen 400.2
    The adapter is:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    mrpipes thanks for the link.

I think it would be interesting to see what the reactions of people would be to the recordings. Maybe set up some video to monitor?

Innovative thinking!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)