Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build thread #491

Post Thanks / Like

Build thread #491

Well been really quite since the motor was the primary focus at the time. Took my LS1 motor to get beefed up and when they went to compress the last sleeve the block cracked. Started the time clock all over again which sucked. Got a great surprise that i got upgraded to a LS7 motor instead and patiently again waited for all the upgraded changes to get done again. Finally the other day i finally got to see it after all this time and waiting. Will start to have more updates now that the motor is ready to go in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXqh47nl1-F/

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Look forward to seeing more.

Are you in Houston?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to organize the pictures i have so far since everything for this site needs to be resized. Around the Tomball area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building an 818 in the city around the Heights.

Also, I use imgur.com for my pictures. Free hosting and you can easily resize them in the editor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh nice. I been fan of those just haven't seen them in person yet. Ty for the heads up I'll check that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a few pics nothing crazy just yet. I did like how well the Kevlar came out on the panels.

When it was delivered

Work station

Shane side window scoops

Test fitting some wheel (not the final ones)

Had the panels sprayed with Kevlar
    Last edited by T4Twins; 08-16-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "Kevlar" looks great, but I thought I should point out to you that "Kevlar" is technically a trademark name for a fiber that is usually used in fabric that is used to strengthen composites or layered for its toughness for applications such as bullet resistant vests. Maybe the company you had coat your panels was just calling that particular coating "kevlar" and not actually referring to "Kevlar"?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he is referring to a product that is being used mainly as bedliner. Supposedly it does contain actual Kevlar... http://www.awtmotoring.com/custom-kevlar-coating/

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    The "Kevlar" looks great, but I thought I should point out to you that "Kevlar" is technically a trademark name for a fiber that is usually used in fabric that is used to strengthen composites or layered for its toughness for applications such as bullet resistant vests. Maybe the company you had coat your panels was just calling that particular coating "kevlar" and not actually referring to "Kevlar"?

Post Thanks / Like
    T4twins, looking great so far! Sub'd

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, it looks great, so who really cares, but I did find this on the internet reviews of "Kevlar" linings...

"We tested Bed Armor and were very disappointed in the consistency for a roller applied material. Not very uniform.
    The Kevlar content we think is all hype. That stuff is in there to make the texture as an alternative to crumb rubber
    which gets too rough and the word "Kevlar" is far more impressive than "used tires"."

That said, there are much cheaper and more durable alternatives to Kevlar to add texture, and so I have to believe that it is not much more than a selling "hook".

Sorry for the thread drift, I just had never heard of a "Kevlar" coating, and it looks like I am not the only one questioning not only it's reality but also its functionality.

Again, looks great and it is an actual marketed product so who cares? Let us know how it works over time.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes its the same material they use when spraying the bed liners and entire trucks. The shop just recently installed a spray booth and that's when i asked if i could get the panels sprayed so the aluminum doesn't stick out so much. When i felt it i was relieved because it wasn't super thick. Figured the thicker it would be the more road junk would stick to the panels. These are the wheel that i plan on purchasing that i placed next to Dave(Fraser D) car when i was still waiting for my kit to arrive. So i wanted more of the attention on the wheel versus the glare from the aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the coating you chose should work great for this application, it will make the aluminum not stand out as much and also protect it. If it's anything like the more traditional bed liners it should be extremely strong!!!

What size are the wheels??

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are 20's off the shelf but i dought i'll go that big cause of the clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some wild wheels! I like them!
    Did the panel coating add much weigh?
    Sounds like your build is off to a great start!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Those are some wild wheels! I like them!
    Did the panel coating add much weigh?
    Sounds like your build is off to a great start!
    Thank you. I know I'm not as far as everyone else who has had their kits before me. Hoping to start catching up soon. The motor taking so long and Hurricane that came by didn't help the cause but in the end i think it will be worth the wait. After all the panels are completely sprayed its adds about 8-10lbs total. Its not a thick spray like your old conventional bed liners would normally be. Took a few pics of some ready to install toys. Especially one that made it all the way from Canada from our fellow forum member and site sponsor.

Old LS1

New fully built Iron block LS7

Edelbrock ready for install now that the fuel injectors are in finally (Waited 4 1/2 months for the manifold to get in because it was on backorder)

LCDi-200 Procision-Auto

Last edited by T4Twins; 09-22-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look like you are off to a heck of a start. My kit will be delivered within the next week and I can finally get serious about this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    That dual screen setup is going to be awesome. Is there a standard location for mounting the 2nd screen?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Look like you are off to a heck of a start. My kit will be delivered within the next week and I can finally get serious about this thing.
    Congrats on pulling the trigger. As you start to read the forum thread everyone story is never the same other then parts of the build of course lol but always interesting to read.

That dual screen setup is going to be awesome. Is there a standard location for mounting the 2nd screen?
    Yes i will also agree especially all the hard work that went into it especially him creating the digital HVAC for me but that is the million dollar question. When i ordered the kit it was to be with a 7 inch screen tablet then Tino had to change things up abit cause of a a small road block. Now the screen is a 9inch screen. With that change i will also need to make a headunit change to have my radio and then the secondary screen below it of almost equal size. I'm still waiting to have my meeting with the audio installer to see of some recommendations. I almost thought to have them create like a small cockpit similar to the supra. Where the center wall curls in towards me abit. I wanted to put a Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX but I'm going to upgrade that to Alpine X009-WRA which is a 9inch screen. For right now the tricky part is making sure about clearance with the Edelbrock since i have not seen anyone install this one yet and i know there is a lot of tight issues for space.

Last edited by T4Twins; 10-07-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a small update. The previous fuel injectors was to long and new ones needed to be ordered. These smaller 1065CC injectors fit just right. On one side of the manifolds there was one bolt that wouldn't slide in without shaving a small hair around the bolt hole for it to fit. Other then that looks like a straight bolt on.The manifold was bolted up to start begin taking measurements with the motor inside the chassis.

Last edited by T4Twins; 10-07-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's some beautiful hardware you got there. I'm envious!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a dual-MAF setup? Or single MAF with a dummy MAF on the other side (like we ran on our high HP twin turbo vg30dett z32's)? What ECU are you running? Looks awesome as Crash noted...
    Last edited by beeman; 10-09-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    That's some beautiful hardware you got there. I'm envious!
    Oh you mean the bike ya that's there to distract you from the green tape on the motor lol. The guys at the shop started to fist the openings of the manifold so ya they kinda lost me at that point hahaha.

Is that a dual-MAF setup? Or single MAF with a dummy MAF on the other side (like we ran on our high HP twin turbo vg30dett z32's)? What ECU are you running? Looks awesome as Crash noted...
    From what I'm understanding there is no MAFS that are going to be use cause they are wanting to run a speed density system. The ECU and harness is still going to be the original LS1 stuff to see is they can make that work without going another more expensive crazier route. The motor was test fitted and it looks like it will fit with minor modifications to the motor mount locations. I will post pictures up this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edelbrock claims their twin throttle manifold fits the Gen IV engines with LS3, L92 and L76 rectangular port cylinder heads. Does that include the LS7? I see that it fits. Any modifications? Also that there are 2 controllers available Ozmo Engineering and Holly Dominator EFI ECM. That manifold looks great.
    Just an old man with a great hobby