BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body to firewall fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Body to firewall fit.

Has anyone tried to perfectify (is that a word?) the fit if the firewall to the body? The gap is not even all the way around and the firewall sits below the body lip (deeper). I want it to fit flush with the flat body face and have little to no gap (and be even!) all the way around. I am thinking about fiberglassing in this area (putting release agent on the firewall) and mailing it fit much better but worried about what happens after paint thickness on both body and firewalll (mine will be painted body color).

Has anyone tackled perfecting this fit?
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Has anyone tried to perfectify (is that a word?) the fit if the firewall to the body? The gap is not even all the way around and the firewall sits below the body lip (deeper). I want it to fit flush with the flat body face and have little to no gap (and be even!) all the way around. I am thinking about fiberglassing in this area (putting release agent on the firewall) and mailing it fit much better but worried about what happens after paint thickness on both body and firewalll (mine will be painted body color).

Has anyone tackled perfecting this fit?
    There has been all sort of things done with the firewall. Yes they do not fit perfectly. It does sit down in the recess and really with the hood and sides on it is really not very noticeable, IMO. I make it fit best as possible and engine turn the firewall. This distracts the eye from imperfections. One of the neat things about kit cars is you can do what ever makes you happy. I say go for it if having it the way you envision. It will make it worth your time. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the steel 33 they lapped the body flange in front of the firewall, too bad the glass body one isn't done like that ;>)
    Like Tom said, do what makes you happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    do what(ever) makes you happy
    Oh I plan on it! Was just wondering if anyone else attempts what I'm envisioning. Thinking I could learn something before I take the (what could be) expensive lesson!

I like your solution, Tom. Except I'll be painting the firewall body color. So I really do think I want a perfect or near perfect fit. I think I'll tackle it by filling the gap with chopped glass (and plenty release agent on the firewall). I'll wet it in good then bolt the firewall back up. Once cured, I'll sand the front down to match the firewall height and radius the edge. That should make it all flush just gotta solve my paint thicknesses issue for final assembly. Maybe I can take a hair off the firewall edge once removed from glass evenly all the way around. That'll give me paint room then.

Thanks, guys!
    Last edited by Svtfreak; 08-14-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfectify...

The act of rectifying that which was never perfect? I knew I used riv-nuts vice rivets for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that definition. Let's submit that to Webster. Better than anything kids are coming up with these days.

I intend to use rivnuts and the same bolts that hold my firewall in. One day I'll remove the firewall and install the rivnuts and drill the proper size holes and all, probably when I do the glass work to "perfectify" it.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster