Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A/C vent location Mistake!!!!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A/C vent location Mistake!!!!

Do not do what I did! I made the holes in the dash as per the A/C instructions in the manual. They are for cable clutch installs. If you have a hydraulic clutch the master cylinder is where they tell you to put the vent hole. I made my holes in the dash before mounting the body. I will have to make new ones and use the plugs to fill the first ones I made. I hope this helps someone from making the same mistake.

IMG_2027.JPG

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good place for the 5" tach! There are so many things like this. Make one change and follow it with three more. Thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't panic yet Tom! I did EXACTLY the same thing. If you replace the clutch MC with one of the shorter Wilwood units, it will allow you to put the ac vent hose on - with just a little bit of persuasion. It's way cheaper and easier than filling BOTH holes and recutting! If you need more info, give me a call.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, not sure if you remember this tidbit from my build:

...worked a bit on the hot rod to get the new Wilwood 1" clutch master cylinder installed. The new master is about an inch shorter, mounts slightly lower, and everything connects to a different location. That means that it was much easier to slip into place. The bonus to the new master is that, a year or so ago, after I had drilled my dash for instruments and ac vents (body OFF the frame), I discovered that I had drilled the driver side ac vent hole right at the clutch master - so I was going to have to fill the gaping hole and drill another. Well, the new MC is out of the way enough that I was able to attach the ac hose to the vent with no problem!
    I used the Wilwood 1" Compact MC. Can't find my paperwork, but I think it was purchased from Summit and the part number was WIL-260-13622. Good luck with your repair - whichever direction you decide to go.

Eric

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Eric. I really want to move the vents vs the smaller cylinder. I believe it will work out better for me in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand - but I find having the vent hole in front of the clutch MC is actually an advantage. The vent hole acts as a viewing port and access, making it easier to remove or install that smaller MC.

Maybe Hugenics has some kind of magical solution, but generally, trying to patch those holes with the plugs that came out is going to print through "rings" onto the final paint job eventually.