Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bulb Seal VS Foam tape

Post Thanks / Like

Bulb Seal VS Foam tape

Just removed he body for paint finally. The bulb seal has all disintegrated to the point that the Bulb or round part no longer sticks to the channel that holds it in. My MK4 kit came with lots of this stuff for the rear members of the car, even the trunk seal has come apart on me.

Whereas, the grey foam insulation used under the front hood rails that support the hood seem to be in great shape. Since this kit has been in the building ohase for 7 years some things deteriorate.

Thinking of ditching the bulb seal altogether in the future and using the foam stuff, or some stuff I found at ace called RV foam tape, whichg isdenser and thicker.

does anyone know of a source other than McMaster carr?

Any suggestions...?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might have gotten a bad batch of bulb seal. I have had some come apart on me. Others have lasted for years.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless I'm actually driving the car, I keep the hood and trunk lid raised a few inches to keep from compressing the bulb seal. Mine are around 5 years old and still in perfect condition.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely use the bulb seal.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    You might have gotten a bad batch of bulb seal. I have had some come apart on me. Others have lasted for years.
    Mike
    I agree. There is some bulb seal on mine that is 10 yrs old and still in good shape.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I agree. There is some bulb seal on mine that is 10 yrs old and still in good shape.
    I believe thats about its life expectancy. I've just finished a 10 yr old kit, all the bulb seal was junk, as soon as you tried fitting it around a curved piece of aluminum it just came apart. When the body comes off for paint, I'll have to get new. Hear that Jeff?

Post Thanks / Like
    My car has been on the road for 11 years and 50k miles without any degradation that I can see. I can't see how any of the bulb seal in the trunk area would even stay in place without some kind of mechanical means. McMaster-Carr is who I'd be calling and get "the good stuff".
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    When you order, make sure it is EPDM material.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bulb seal sold by McMaster appears to be exactly the same as what's supplied in the kit from FF. https://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=18zj4xe. It's EPDM bulb with vinyl rubber and metal gripper. It's sold in a number of sizes other than just the ones from FF. I've used a larger size on the splash guards to improve the seal. Larger gripper when using an .090 firewall. Also the right angle type (McMaster Style C) with the thicker edge that fits the fiberglass trunk edge a lot better then what is supplied by FF. Not sure why you wouldn't want to use the McMaster material. Seems good quality to me.

It is important to protect the bulb seal when taking the body on and off. Especially around the rear corners of the trunk sides. It's real easy to tear it up. I usually cover the corners with a towel or some rags so the edge of the body isn't dragging on the bulb seal.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.