BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rocker arm noise

Post Thanks / Like

Rocker arm noise

This is for the Fe guys, do y'all have rocker arm noise. When I drive the car I can hear the rockets , not sure if I'm supposed to. I have a 390 bored .030 roller cam and zero decked.
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you have solid lifters where you need to adjust the clearance, your valve train should be silent.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same issue with a 5.0L from a 2000 Mountaineer. I swapped out the valve springs for stiffer springs and the cam for a Ford Racing 'E' cam. I did not change the lifters, push rods, or the rockers. The valve train sounds like a sewing machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ in Cbus View Post
    I have the same issue with a 5.0L from a 2000 Mountaineer. I swapped out the valve springs for stiffer springs and the cam for a Ford Racing 'E' cam. I did not change the lifters, push rods, or the rockers. The valve train sounds like a sewing machine.
    JJ, We have almost the same set up. 01 mountaineer motor but with a b cam. went with stiffer valve springs. Does yours sound like this? Cause not sure if I have the same noise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHYcHrT6gM0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKSPNU4DBXo

Post Thanks / Like
    There shouldn't be much noise from a hydraulic setup, especially a roller lifter. My 302 is silent with hydraulic flat tappet cam and roller rockers, and the 289 with roller lifters and roller rockers is also silent. The rockers should be 1/2 to 3/4 turn past 0 lash. This places the lifter plunger about .030" below the snap ring.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you also have roller rockers ala Harland Sharpe etc they are not silent. If not and this is a recently built motor there will be some valve train noise initially that will quiet down once it has been run in. It would also be a good idea to go back and re-set lifter preload. I prefer doing this hot with the engine running, but can be messy if you're not well prepared.

Franl
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    REFRAIN from revving during valve adjustment while running. It amazed my how much and how far the splashes went. it was one of those, "well that was a stupid thing to do" moments.

Post Thanks / Like
    A old trick is to take an old steel rocker cover and cut the top open just enough to expose the adjusting nuts. That will help keep the oil where it needs to be and not on the ceiling.
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old school guys that have worked on 260-289-302-351-400's will have a set of the wire plugs that slip over the oil hole in the rocker to eliminate the "splash". Easy-Peasy when you have the right tool(s) for the job.

Just sayin' . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.