Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: side pipe muffler question

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like

side pipe muffler question

I have been hearing a noise from the right side of the car, Thought was a loose belt, nope. Tracked it down to the side pipe.
    This is a FFR sidepipe. Even with car not running if I kick the muffler I hear what appears to be the same noise but not as pronounced as when car is running. The car has the heat shields and they are not loose.
    I have read posts about putting a screw threw the pipe to stop the muffler from rattling. I searched and cannot find he posts.
    Where do you put the screw ?

Thanks
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing is to determine which end is rattling. Then drill a small hole through the shell about an inch or two back from the welded insert for a 10 or 12-32 screw. Don't drill through the perforated insert as you want the screw to press against it. Use a little high temp silicone on the threads of the screw to keep it for working loose and prevent an exhaust leak.
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same on my pipes, but ground the tip flat to only push on the core and not try to pop a hole. Worked great till I built a stainless set with flowmasters.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check all the exhaust hanger bolts. I had one loose near the front end and it sounded like it was coming from the back end.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a photo of where the put the screw ?

Thanks Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I am having the same issue with a rattle in my FFR exhaust. I have checked the hangers and all is good. In the last post, Kenny asked for pictures of the screw placement. I would be interested in seeing those as well. Even a hand drawn diagram would be helpful. Also, any tips to determine the location within the muffler would be helpful.

Thanks Jim.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.