Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR's TS/Reverse bulbs - what type are they?

Post Thanks / Like

FFR's TS/Reverse bulbs - what type are they?

What is the bulb type of FFR's Turn/Reverse bulbs?

On the left in the pic is a std BAY15D - 1157 bulb and on the right is the FFR one.
    Notice the pins on each sides of each bulbs, the one from FFR is at the same height whereas on the 1157 one pin is mounted higher.

The only ones I could find similar to FFR with dual connectors at the bottom are 1076. But those use a + connector at the bottom and a - connector, whereas those of FFR are both + connectors, like 1157.

I need to test new bulbs to troubleshoot the weirdest electrical issue I've ever seen but I can't find the bulb types. In the short term I have ground off the higher pin on a 1157 bulb to test but it's not ideal.
    I mailed FFR last Friday to place an order, no news. I need them quickly, without fixing this issue I fail inspection. I'm not sure the new bulbs will fix the issue, but I've tried swapping sockets and terminal connectors, need to check on bulbs.

2017-08-16 13.51.08.jpg
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    The led FFR bulb is correct other than pins at same height. Ground is in center so all that happens if u put in "wrong" is wrong color turn sig. I put paint dab on bulb and socket to fix.

FFR supplies 1157 reg bulbs for stop/tail for some weird reason. I threw them out on bought 1157 leds on Amazon. They have correct offset pins.

Post Thanks / Like
    You got regular incandescent bulbs for TS/Reverse lights? I got LEDs, weird. FFR replied I should know soon enough.

There are 1157 with offset pins and 1157 without offset pins, if I understand?

Yes if I flip around the bulb it will have amber reverse and white TS.

What did you fix by putting paint dab?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    You got regular incandescent bulbs for TS/Reverse lights? I got LEDs, weird. FFR replied I should know soon enough. xxx

I SAID I got the FFR supplied leds and they had even pins like u said. you can put them in 2 ways, one gives correct white backup and yellow t/s. Paint dab identifies the correct orientation in socket for the FFR led bulb

There are 1157 with offset pins and 1157 without offset pins, if I understand? No need, who wants 1157 for anything. I threw them out and bought led versions of 1157 on amazon. Now all my lights are led

Yes if I flip around the bulb it will have amber reverse and white TS.

What did you fix by putting paint dab?
    My answer in your message above.
    Last edited by frankc5r; 08-16-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, in a nutshell you threw out FFR's LEDs and got LED versions of 1157 with even pins from Amazon, cuz offset pins won't fit unless you grind off a pin.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    No I already said the Ffr led is fine. just have to install correctly
    I bought led 1157 with regular offset pins just like
    the 1157 you buy at auto parts store.
    iIf still not clear, call or pm

Post Thanks / Like
    You put the even pin led from ffr in small round
    light with ffr supplied socket. fits fine.
    1157 or led 1157 goes only in big red light where
    the reg 1157 fits fine !!

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing Frank. As I recall, you do not use the lamp pigtail that comes with the white t/s//backup but use the black socket that FFR supplies that fits the FFR supplied led bulb.
    Do not try to use the FFR supplied led in the big red stop lamp. It only fits the small white lamp with FFR black socket.

FFR wants to use a reg 1157 in big red stop lamp but as I said I bought a led version of 1157 from amazon and used it in red big stop light setup FFR supplies.
    Hope that helps, FFR manual, even the latest r version I have does not even mention the leds- not any help to figure out..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc5r View Post
    No I already said the Ffr led is fine. just have to install correctly
    Absolutely. My problem is not related to which side I install the reverse/TS bulb.

You put the even pin led from ffr in small round
    light with ffr supplied socket. fits fine.
    Yup, they physically fit fine, that's not my problem.

One more thing Frank. As I recall, you do not use the lamp pigtail that comes with the white t/s//backup but use the black socket that FFR supplies that fits the FFR supplied led bulb.
    The only pigtail I got where old square VW-style black terminals that I had to crimp the wires in and some black sockets.
    Terminals are part #80011
    Sockets are part #80374
    LED bulbs are #80580

Do not try to use the FFR supplied led in the big red stop lamp. It only fits the small white lamp with FFR black socket.
    Exactly, I have never tried the TS/reverse LED bulbs elsewhere than the reverse sockets.

I'm only focusing on reverse LEDs here, no stop light or anything. Trying to find what type they (reverse) are, as 1157 have offset pins and dual + contacts and the FFR reverse LEDs have *even* pins with dual + contacts. All I could find were even pins with + and - dual contacts (1076), which will not work in the reverse lamps. Maybe they are type 1142, I'm looking into that and oh no they aren't, 1142 use + and - dual contacts at the bottom like 1076. Won't work.

Currently testing a ground off pin (1 pin left) 1157 LED in the reverse socket (not stop lamp), I'll see if that holds up. But it doesn't physically secure as well as having 2 pins.

I am testing that modified bulb cuz that is my problem, I have a super weird intermittent issue on the reverse lights (I don't use TS there) and so far it does not seem to be terminal or socket related, neither power/ground. Wanted to buy even pins dual + contacts LED bulbs to test it out properly.

FFR wants to use a reg 1157 in big red stop lamp but as I said I bought a led version of 1157 from amazon and used it in red big stop light setup FFR supplies.
    Yeah that's true, they use regular glass 1157 there. But that wasn't the object of my question in post #1, which is why I got confused. All clear now, although I still don't know the bulb type they use for the reverse/TS lamps.
    Last edited by Frank818; 08-16-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    See what FFR says. I got a black socket that fits FFR led and it works fine on both t/s and reverse. Maybe they can send you the sockets I got.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR didn't tell me what type these bulbs are, so the original question remains a mystery. Well the answer is, the question is not. lolll

But I cut off the offset pin on 2 LED 1157 bulbs to make them fit in the sockets and so far they work perfect. The others would have fail again many times by now so I think I fixed it. It means my 3 FFR LED bulbs (I don't have 4, not sure why) are glitchy, if I can use that word. Unreliable. The modified 1157s I'm using now are not as tight in the sockets cuz they only have 1 pin now, but it'd take a lot of force to take them out. And they are brighter.
    Frank