Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trans Tunnel carpet question!

Post Thanks / Like

Trans Tunnel carpet question!

Not sure why my photos are being rotated during upload but nonetheless....... I've spent quite a bit of time fabricating the trans tunnel top which I plan on wrapping in the same material I did the dash in. My question is in the details of the last pic. If I wrap the cover (glue) over the edge of the rear lip, will I have interference of any kind when I install the carpet piece back there?

My fear is if the tunnel top rests on top of the carpet, the rear lip may bend and create a unsightly wrinkle in the cover, which is a vinyl material. A small detail but I would like to cover the top now while I have time and not have any worries after I install carpet (which is a long way away from now).

rear lip of tunnel top

Post Thanks / Like
    If the vinyl is firmly glued to the cover (e.g. 100% adhesive coverage) it shouldn't wrinkle if the aluminum should deflect a little when pressed into place. The vinyl should just flex. Once you get the carpet in place, you can trim the pile on the carpet where the cover contacts it. That will allow it to sit down pretty well.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wrapped my trans tunnel top and had no issues with its interaction with the carpet. I'm not sure of your install plan but my carpet was on the back wall area first and then I did the final install of the trans tunnel over it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gents. I shall press forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the cup holders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Where did you get the cup holders?
    From Eddie motor sports. They are billet aluminum anodized clear- medium. Fits a 3" hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this isn't an option for everyone. If I cover the tunnel with anything but carpet, I make a new one that is wider by about 1/2 inch. Then I carpet up to the top of the tunnel. Then the cover can slip over the carpet hiding the raw edge.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I know this isn't an option for everyone. If I cover the tunnel with anything but carpet, I make a new one that is wider by about 1/2 inch. Then I carpet up to the top of the tunnel. Then the cover can slip over the carpet hiding the raw edge.
    Mike
    Hi Mike. I think you may have addressed another concern I have. I saw somewhere someone did the same thing and when the cover was installed over the carpet where it meets the tunnel top edges, the sides of the tunnel looked bowed out. I don't have the skill or tools to make my own tunnel top (this one is FFMetals no hole offering) but my thought was to run the carpet just short of the tunnel top and finish it with a carpet edging. Not really clear in my head how that will look though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Hi Mike. I think you may have addressed another concern I have. I saw somewhere someone did the same thing and when the cover was installed over the carpet where it meets the tunnel top edges, the sides of the tunnel looked bowed out. I don't have the skill or tools to make my own tunnel top (this one is FFMetals no hole offering) but my thought was to run the carpet just short of the tunnel top and finish it with a carpet edging. Not really clear in my head how that will look though.
    I wrapped the FF supplied transmission tunnel cover on my #8674 build. So cut the provided tunnel carpet and had edging sewn onto three sides. Gives a clean look. Shows pretty clearly on these pics from final assembly.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I wrapped the FF supplied transmission tunnel cover on my #8674 build. So cut the provided tunnel carpet and had edging sewn onto three sides. Gives a clean look. Shows pretty clearly on these pics from final assembly.

Oh wow Paul, that looks very nice. Did you have the carpet edging professionally done? The aft edging really ties the whole transmission tunnel top to cockpit in very nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow Paul, that looks very nice. Did you have the carpet edging professionally done? The aft edging really ties the whole transmission tunnel top to cockpit in very nicely.
    Thanks. Yea, I'm happy with how it turned out. The cloth edging was sewn by a local auto interior shop. He recommended that material because it closely matches the edging on the FF floor mats. All ties together nicely. He also did the pieces by the door sill so that raw edge is covered as well. Visible in both of the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how this ties into the dash. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned to do my tranny cover in vinyl to match the dash as well. I was warned by another builder, that black vinyl can get extremely hot. It can be sticky hot and uncomfortable, as you tend to rest your arm on it. Not the case with carpet.
    Just thought I should mention it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I've given that issue some thought. No doubt vinyl gets hot in the sun. I plan to apply heat barrier underneath and some padding on top but no doubt it will get hot. How hot? Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I've given that issue some thought. No doubt vinyl gets hot in the sun. I plan to apply heat barrier underneath and some padding on top but no doubt it will get hot. How hot? Time will tell.
    Yes the tunnel cover gets hot with vinyl or leather covering. Just like the seats.

I keep a couple of towels in the trunk and throw over everything when needed. Especially before climbing back in for a drive. The snapless touneau cover also works well.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-18-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the tunnel cover gets hot with vinyl or leather covering. Just like the seats.

I keep a couple of towels in the trunk and throw over everything when needed. Especially before climbing back in for a drive. The snapless touneau cover also works well.
    What is this "snapless toneua cover" you speak of Paul? Tell me more!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is this "snapless toneua cover" you speak of Paul? Tell me more!
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...s-tonneau.html

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/138-har...illip-kay.html

BTW, in my previous response about the transmission cover getting hot I was only talking about it while parked. Obviously the sun is still shining while driving. Ideally anyway. Probably gets a little warmer than carpet then too, but I haven't noticed it as a problem at all. There's apparently enough air movement to keep the temp down. Having driven mine now all this season with the leather cover, nothing about it would prevent me from doing the same again.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...s-tonneau.html

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/138-har...illip-kay.html

BTW, in my previous response about the transmission cover getting hot I was only talking about it while parked. Obviously the sun is still shining while driving. Ideally anyway. Probably gets a little warmer than carpet then too, but I haven't noticed it as a problem at all. There's apparently enough air movement to keep the temp down. Having driven mine now all this season with the leather cover, nothing about it would prevent me from doing the same again.
    awwww gee whiz Paul, here we go again........

I had to ask, didn't I? You guys love spending my money. Phillip & Kay's cover is a no brainer.

Yep, I'm not really sweating (no pun) the heat thing. Like you said, it can easily be managed with a cockpit cover/towels/park the car in the shade, etc. Black leather seats, black carpet, yadda, it's going to be hot. Not like I'm going to change gears at this point in the build and top the trans tunnel in carpet. I'm sticking to the plan!

Thanks for the tip on Phillip & Kay's cover. Not the first time you have spent my money and I know it won't be the last!