Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Roadster is Finally getting painted this week.

Post Thanks / Like

My Roadster is Finally getting painted this week.

I have an airconditioned garage available and my son an I are doing the body work and paint. He is doing the buld of the work and I am his "Helper". So, earlier this week we drove the car about 5 blocks over to where the paint will be done, a large air conditioned garage with plastic sheeting setup to control the air flow.

We rolled the car in on tuesday, The doors hood and trunk are getting painted first.

The "Before paint" pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcwho; 08-17-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like

tuesday aug 16th

The doors, trunk and hood were painted with basecoat yesterday.
    Last edited by mcwho; 08-17-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add pics
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. What color is that?

I like the adjustable height paint stand (rolling work seat) for the trunk. That is a good idea. Wish I had thought of that. Saves room in the booth.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! It looks like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to get to that point, making a lot of dust right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its only been 7 years and 1 month. Yesterday we sanded the body and cleaned it for more primer, then the basecoat. My son and I are doing this and taking our time. the lids as my son calls them (doors, hood and trunk are now up to clearcoat and they look awesome. so far its two coats of primer, 2 base cats, two mid coats and two clearcoats.
    Baghdad Bob

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    Its only been 7 years and 1 month.
    That's 7 Years & 1 Month Worth Of Memories!

Looks Good & Is That A Metallic Red?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, the main body got primered today, we will finish the primer on the main shell and move on to basecoat tomorrow.

primer 1.jpg
    Last edited by mcwho; 08-19-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: add pic
    Baghdad Bob

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your going to sand the primer and put sealer on all in one day? Took me two days to just block sand the main body.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, I was a little eager in the last post. We re still working on the primer at this point.
    a couple pictures.

That was yesterday. today we are doing basecoat.
    Last edited by mcwho; 08-21-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add pics
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Nice color choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for no pics the last couple days. Here are a couple with the first coat of midcoat, which has a blue tint and makes the red more crimson. At this time we have 4 basecoats, 4 midcoats and 2 clear coats. So its a 4-4-2 for you oldsmobile fans. 2 more coats of clearcoat and we should be done. More pics to follow...

these pics were yesterday !
    Last edited by mcwho; 08-23-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add pics
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    It's coming along really well, Bob! Thanks for sharing the pics. Keep us posted. It is going to be really nice looking.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mk4 #7287 paint is complete

Today we took the paint booth apart after the car being in the paint booth for 9 days. we put 2 coats of primer and :

4 coats of Sherwin Williams base coat
    4 coats of mid coat
    4 coats of clear coats.

It is Ruby Red, a 2016 / 2017 Ford color
    Last edited by mcwho; 08-25-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add pic
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful color!

I bet you're getting antsy to put her back together!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! Mine is at the painter for the next couple of months so we're in the same boat assembly wise.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    My Mk4 #7287 paint is complete

Today we took the paint booth apart after the car being in the paint booth for 9 days. we put 2 coats of primer and :

4 coats of Sherwin Williams base coat
    4 coats of mid coat
    4 coats of clear coats.

It is Ruby Red, a 2016 / 2017 Ford color
    Man mcwho. I really like that. It looks great. That is the color I originally chose but decided a 3 stage paint job was too much for me to take on. Kudos to you. You did a beautiful job. You should be proud.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Kudos, I am extremely happy about the paint...

My Son Kevin did the paint, he worked for a paint shop in Chicago for a while and has his own SAGA gun. I am really happy about the paint, 7 years in the making. He has a work gig and a wedding and will be back here on Sept 14 or so and he will buff the car and then we get to reassemble. You sure have to have a lot of patience building one of these.

if you look at some 2015 to 2017 ford trucks and Mustangs with a deep red color, that's the color, called Ruby Red, code RR.
    Last edited by mcwho; 09-03-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Can't wait to see it all back together.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    After letting the paint sit for a couple weeks, son Kevin is back from Chicago again, now buffing and polishing the finish, it is looking really great. Pictures do not do it justice.
    Baghdad Bob

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking Good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob-

Holy smokes, what a great color! Please tell your son he did a terrific job!

I look forward to seeing it all together. It looks like a really deep finish, and it is polishing up nicely.

I am sure you are quite proud of your work and your boy!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Yes, if you go to your local ford dealer and ask to see a "Ruby Red" 2016/2017 mustang or truck, that the color. It has a metallic in the base that really looks great in the sun. The metallic just does NOT come out in pictures.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Now we are reassembling the body and all the parts. here is wgat it looks like now !
    Baghdad Bob

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the color, I bet if you color sanded then buffed would look like a show car.

Kenny