Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Avon CR6ZZ tires

Post Thanks / Like

Avon CR6ZZ tires

OK, I have been struggling with the best quality tire I can get that will be good off the line and good for handling. Very limited in options since I am going with the vintage look 15" wheels.
    The Avon CR6ZZ tires (245/60/15 & 295/50/15) have been recommended. Aside from being VERY expensive, does anyone have them on their car and have comments they can share? Pics would be great if any.
    Thanks!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, love them. Very sticky for a street tire (I think they are tread ware rating 80), quiet and they don't track lines in the road like the original billboards were known to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where to order them?

Thanks,

JBM

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them on my car - this is the third summer with them and over 8,000 miles. I've noticed that as they age, the original stickiness goes away, but they have exhibited much better wear resistance that I ever would have expected.

They are available from Roger Kraus racing and Sasco Motorsports (West coast and East coast, respectively). Not cheap, but great period correct looking tire and outstanding performance. I'm running 225s on the front and 245s on the rear. Note that the sidewalls are a bit taller than the 15" tires recommended by FFR, so your suspension height and speedo gearing may need adjustment.

I made stencils for the sidewalls out of cheap cardboard lettering that I found at the local office supply big-box store - the paint I used was "parchment" interior dye and has held up very well.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    they look great!
    Although on the sizes I was recommended to go with the 245/60/15 and 295/50/15 in rear.
    Compared to the tire sizes of bfg 245 & 295 the fronts area the same height and width and the rears are same width but about 1/4" taller which equates to 1/8" taller ride height.
    I have the MK$ so 295 width in back is cool. see any issue with fronts... 2.7 height and 9.8 width?

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally had 275s for the rear and the 245s we're going to be the front tires. After mounting them, though, I thought they were both a bit too wide for my old school look and a bit too tall. Sold the 275s, moved the 245s to the rear wheels, and bought the 225s for the front. Very happy with the results.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074