Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: turn signals weird!

Post Thanks / Like

turn signals weird!

I have standard FFR front turn signals and LED rectangular rears. I followed advice and fitted a trailer module to allow for taillights/brake and turn signals to do what they are supposed to. And I replaced the flasher for an electronic type. Everything worked good, and it still does with ignition on. But when engine is running the fronts flash ok, but the rear stays on on PS and when I change to DS that flashes erratically. Brake lights work fine, as do tail lights when headlights are on.
    Could the trailer module be faulty or flasher unit?
    It's going to be a right pain to get to the wiring to remove the module, but it is something I will need to resolve! Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had no ends to the problems I had with that module on my 289. I even bought two more identical units from Amazon thinking it was defective, none worked when wired with inputs from the turn signal switch, and outputs to light wires. I finally discovered that there was no voltage coming out the outputs, only the R&L inputs. So... I tried wiring the R&L inputs and outputs together with the tail light wires, and lo and behold the rear lights work as they should with brake separated from turn and running lights. But... the front turn signals, dash signal lights, and speedometer signal lights, all come on with the brakes. Very strange indeed. I don't know if I can see enough to fully describe how I connected the wiring together with the body on. I will be taking the body off again in a few weeks for final body edge trim and finish and I'll be able to see clearly what I did. It doesn't make any sense, that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the converter powered? I never had any luck with the non powered units. Uhaul sells a nice powered unit. Give it a try.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, it is powered but it wasn't expensive. Do you have link for the uhaul one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I need a 4-wire to 3 wire module? I gotta find one that is reliable and recommended!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike.
    Been looking at RF wiring diagram. Do I not need a 4 to 3 wire module?
    The car has Rt Turn, Stop, Left Turn and Tail.
    The other side of the module has stop/turn right, stop/turn left, tail

Post Thanks / Like
    All you need is the U haul part
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that everyone forgets that the "tail lights" and the "turn signals/brake lights" are two separate circuits and should in no way be connected???
    Any time you connect them together, even thru a "module" of some sort, you are asking for issues, especially in a NON-Conductive car that needs numerous grounds to make sure everything works properly.

Just my opinion. but TS/Brake modules are way too much trouble and rarely work 100% of the time - powered or not ---> Again. just my opinion.

Two relays will cure your problems forever, especially if you've done the "rectangular mod" and are dealing with a single bulb.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doc,

I'm not too knowledgable on electrical stuff, so if you are able to send me a wiring diagram I could probably follow that.
    My LED rear lights have two wires with two banks of LEDs, so the same as a two bulb arrangement.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am confused though as to why it works 100% when the engine isn't running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question why it works with the engine OFF . . . maybe higher voltage overriding the internal diodes in the LED modules backfeeding??? I've never had any one tell me it works with the key turned on but if I start the engine i goes bonkers.

Here's the RF cut-in points if you choose to switch to the Radio Shack [type] relays to control your rear lights. It doesn't care what type of lights you run, incandescent or LED. This is the circuit for either two bulbs in the rear or four.
    It is shown with toggle switches for activation but can be used with Russ' turn signal stalk.

If you have any questions, pm me.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 08-20-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I try any serious modifications I will add a 12v regulator to the feed to the tail light module. Maybe you're right Blocker and the module doesn't like over 14v. Seems odd of that's the case though as it is intended for automotive.