FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Documenting a partially built kit

Post Thanks / Like

Documenting a partially built kit

I am going out Sunday to document a roadster kit purchased in 2000. The owner is not available to answer questions because of health reasons. Does anyone have a good parts list that I can use to verify that it is all there? I have the assembly manual, but want a more detailed inventory.

Also, does anyone have experience completing a kit this old? Any major things to look our for?

Thank you. I am new to the community and appreciate any advice.

Michael Johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Michael, If you can't find one, and think that it would help. I have a parts list from a 2009 Mk3.1 Basic
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dave! That would really be helpful. Based on the year, it is probably a Mk1 or 2. My email is [email protected] if you have an electronic copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

I went and saw the car yesterday. It is basically a complete redo. Here are some specifics:

1) It was ordered in 2000. All major pieces are there. It is the old fiberglass body. The body has been on a well made body buck and I could not see any cracks. The car has been inside a Texas garage.
    2) The motor is installed, but had not been sealed. The spark plug holes and manifold are open. None of the accessories are installed. It will have to come out and be redone or replaced. The transmission is a rebuilt T5.
    3) The front suspension is from Pole Position and the rear is three link.
    4) It has the old Smiths gauges which are about half done. The wiring was started but will need to be completely redone.
    5) There are random parts in various boxes. I assume that everything is there but did not have time to take inventory.
    6) The owner does not have the manual or any documentation.

A few questions for the group:

1) Is this car worth saving?
    2) if so, what is a fair price?
    3) Anyone out there interested?

I have pictures and will post later today.

The car is a time capsule and will need a lot of love.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    That is sad. I don't know if it is worth doing. The time and $ will be nearly the same as starting w/ a new MkIV kit. As you realize the engine is questionable, and to me, so is the trans. There is a wide range of the meaning of the word 'rebuilt'. All your time and $ and you will end up w/ a MkI or early MkII. Personally, I wouldn't do it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, thank you for the advice. Here are the pictures https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2vqxlh6cx...YsZ7ksZja?dl=0

Sad indeed. The parts are worth more than the car, but even they are questionable given the advances in the last 17 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manycars

What style of car are you looking for? Lets assume you get this for a good price.

Even poping the trans and motor open to check everything, you still have them from the start or included.

I think the fun in building may be the same for this compared to a new car.

If you want to build a current show car with as much as possible period correct, start from a new kit.

You want a hot rod that looks like a cobra and the price is right build this one. Look through old build threads for complaints that people had, you will have the same and probably more.
    I have no idea the changes from mk1 to mk4 but those were made for a reason!

It all comes down to the price of the car and what you want to end up with.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like there is a lot to work with, depending on the price.
    Those parts specific to an FFR, are the ones you need to make sure you have, although it might be possible to use items produced for the MKIV, to cover for any that are missing.

If the price is good, you could budget for anything that may need refreshing. Age can take it's toll on things, even if they were never put in use. Rad hoses for example. Might need to overhaul the M/cylinder, calipers, or wheel cylinders, as the seals may have dried out, likewise with seals on the engine, tranny, and rear end. Not big dollars if you can replace them yourself, rather than farming them out to a mechanic.
    Certainly it could be built to completion with time and patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one of these "started but sitting for a long time" roadsters brought to me to build a few years ago. It too was a roller (a MK3) with an allegedly rebuilt short block and was purchased from out of state sight unseen aside from a number of photos. After the first inspection upon it's arrival it was clear that nothing could be trusted and I did a complete teardown then built from the ground up, just as if it had been delivered from FFR as a base kit. In the end it became a great car and the owner might have saved 3-4 grand vs. beginning with a new Mk4 base kit. Question is whether the frustration/inconvenience of the inevitable missing parts and ending up with an earlier version of the roadster will be worth it. Only you can answer that.

1) Worth saving? Sure, so long as you can get it for the right price and don't mind the fact that the build will take substantially more time than beginning from new.

2) Fair price? Not a penny over $5K

3) Interested? Nope.

Oh, by the way...you mention that the owner "doesn't have any documentation". If he does not have the FFR issued Certificate of Origin it may be difficult if not virtually impossible to title and register.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Oh, by the way...you mention that the owner "doesn't have any documentation". If he does not have the FFR issued Certificate of Origin it may be difficult if not virtually impossible to title and register.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Even if he has the COO, it will be in his name. From reading threads here over the years, that can be a problem. This may be a good time to contact the DMV in your state to see how the car could be registered. Having a car w/ a salvage title reduces it's value.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to give a big shout out to Michael for taking the time to travel to the Texas outback to evaluate this car. Also thanks to the responses. It may be a good candidate for a high school automotive class, in the form of a donation. On the other hand,as has been pointed out, it could sure be a great, raw bear bones hot rod, for someone with the talent to complete it. Hmmm, how long would it take to drive from Maine to Texas??

Post Thanks / Like
    The Gum Ball Rally guys did New York to Long Beach in 33.1 hours (in the movie) . . .

You should be able to do half the country in about the same (figuring you don't have a Ferrari chasing you - and - you're probably in a daily driver).

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    IF you could get it for close to 5k I would do it

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for your advice on this build. The owner, unfortunately, has unrealistic expectations about the value of the 2000 MK1 kit. I would love to save it, but I am going to pass.

I will keep looking for one to save or order a new one when FFR has their next sale.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, what was he asking ?

Post Thanks / Like
    $8,000. Should still be available if you are interested.