Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear view Mirror

Post Thanks / Like

Rear view Mirror

I took a little different approach on mounting my rear view mirror. At least I think it is new. Maybe it has been tried but I could not find a thread talking about it. Not sure it will work but I will give it a try and let everyone know how it goes. If someone has tried it and had issues, please let me know.

I read quite a few threads about rear view mirrors trying to find something I liked. It appears the three most popular methods are: 1. Mount the mirror on the top of the body as the manual instructs, 2. Mount to the top of the windshield with a custom bracket (Dark Water Custom for example), and 3. No rear view mirror and use better side mirrors. After reviewing options I initially decided to go with option 2 and make a custom bracket to mount the mirror to the top of the windshield. I started by trying to find a bolt and nut combination that would fit in the track on top of the windshield. What I found was that a #8 -32 nut will would fit width wise that would allow me to screw in a bolt without the nut turning. But, the nut was just a little thick to slide down the track. So I put the nut on a bolt (with a back up nut to keep it from turning) and ground it down. I took a little off at a time until it would just slide down the track. Then made two. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the ground down nuts. At this point I was going to fashion up a bracket but thought, why do I need a bracket. Why don't I just bolt the mirror to the windshield without the bracket. So that is what I did. Here is the finished product.

Here is a picture of the mirror from the driver's point of view.

I use a #8-32 stainless steel machine screw and the nuts I fashioned earlier. The screw had to be cut down a little. I bought 1/2" because that was the shortest I could find the local big box store. I probably took an 1/8" of an inch off with my dremel cut off tool. To prevent marring up the windshield (in the event I decide to change it) I placed black nylon washers between the mirror and the windshield frame. Here is the hardware I used (unmodified).

I have two real concerns:

1. I wonder if wind coming over the windshield at speed with move the mirror.
    2. Keeping things tight. I am planning on using a little blue loc-tite on the screws to keep them tight. In combination with the nylon washers I hope this will be fine.

If this is a repeat, sorry. Let me know if you think this will work.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Great ingenuity. Let us know how well your idea works on the road.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up doing the same as you except my concern was having the mirror above the windshield at speed. A lot of guys make their own bracket. Forming metal is not one of my better skills so I found a guy who sells them on Ebay (10 bucks). Same concept as yours but the bracket bolts to the windshield "slot" and the mirror bolts to the bracket turned upside down. Puts the mirror behind the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did almost exactly the same as Rick!
    Srobx, it looks like it is higher than the windshield. Hope wind isn't going to move it. You better drive slow!
    I think you'll have great visibility from it.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    I did almost exactly the same as Rick!
    Srobx, it looks like it is higher than the windshield. Hope wind isn't going to move it. You better drive slow!
    I think you'll have great visibility from it.
    Yeah. Wind is what I am concerned about. I will give it a try and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I will either buy a bracket or make one.

I am starting to like all the custom bracket and fab work. I initially hated that part and wanted to just buy what I needed. Since I am impatient (thanks internet), I have found that if I make stuff not only do I get it faster but if it takes a day or two then I am occupied making it and I am not standing by the front door cussing UPS for taking so long.
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobinsonx2 View Post
    Since I am impatient (thanks internet), I have found that if I make stuff not only do I get it faster but if it takes a day or two then I am occupied making it and I am not standing by the front door cussing UPS for taking so long.
    x2. Preach it brother!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    They tend to vibrate even mounted behind the glass. That position might be worse.

My simple mount using some angle aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    AC Bill,

Man!! I like that idea. That should be easy to make. Thanks for that picture. I think I will try your set up if my simple no bracket mount doesn't work out.

You guys rock! So many good ideas. Thanks again.
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobinsonx2 View Post
    AC Bill,

Man!! I like that idea. That should be easy to make. Thanks for that picture. I think I will try your set up if my simple no bracket mount doesn't work out.

You guys rock! So many good ideas. Thanks again.
    I used square nuts in the top of the windshield for my visors. You do have to sand them down a bit so the nuts slide easily.
    The square nuts will not turn in the track. I need to move my mirror too.... will look at this option

78cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    They tend to vibrate even mounted behind the glass. That position might be worse.

My simple mount using some angle aluminum.
    I did something very similar to AC Bill, but got carried away with the design. I didn't like the way the nuts showed on the forward/underside of the angle, so I covered them up. It's not Powder Coated yet, and I don't have a picture of it on the windshield, but I think it will work out just fine. Remember, if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update. I went on a short drive today and got a chance to check out my rear view mirror mount. It worked out well. I drove about 15-20 miles. About half of it was 35-45 mph and the other was at 65 mph (well some was a tad over 65 ). The mirror stayed really pretty still. I didn't have to adjust it at all during the drive. I think I am going to leave it where it is and see how it perform after some longer drives. My observations:

- The mirror vibrates much less mounted on top of the windshield. I had mounted it on the body while in gel coat so that is my reference.
    - Better view with the mirror higher.
    - The mirror is still little and is not as good as the larger mirrors in our daily drivers.
    - I don't know how the shortened bolts and thinned nuts are going to perform long term. I used some blue loctite but only time will tell. They are holding so far.
    - The wind did not really affect the mirror like I feared. It must be just low enough.

Happy so far. If I have issues I will let you guys know.
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear it's worked out fine.

After driving pick up trucks for more than 30 years, I really depend on my rear view mirrors. The fender mounted bullet mirrors, leave a lot to be desired. I know mounted to the post they are more functional, but they are still pretty small.
    I have though of maybe trying a larger, racing type, inner r/view mirror. Mounting it might be a challenge, depending on how it comes.

FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the mounts and creativity for the mirror. Now, I only wish the mirror was more useful...
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014