Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cockpit Sheet Metal Fitting Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Cockpit Sheet Metal Fitting Problems

I have spent the past few days placing and drilling the cockpit sheet metal. I have followed the assembly sequence in the manual and am on the last piece, the back wall. It is giving me some problems. First the seat belt slots in the sheet metal are not even across the back with the chassis cut outs. It varies a little more than 1/16" passenger side to driver's side. Is this common? I don't think I can get it closer.

As well, see the pictures below, the rear corner piece and the back wall sheet metal at the top do not match up. It's about 1/4" at the top to 0" where the bend starts. Again, is this normal? Is it going to create a problem later? I can't get it closer without distorting other pieces.

Help!!!

Bulkhead RS 1.jpg
    Bulkhead RS 2.jpg
    Bulkhead RS 3.jpg
    Bulkhead RS 4.jpg
    Bulkhead RS 5.jpg

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is about normal IMO. You should not incur any problems, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, mine were wanky like that, to where I had to trim the lower section of the rear panel at the joint on drivers side tunnel. I have not noticed any body fitment issues yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Pete. How is the 289 coming? You may or may not know my build is the same as yours. I am glad to know that my fitment issues are within the "normal" range. I guess if it all fit perfectly, it would not really be hand built!

Post Thanks / Like
    I slightly raised the the back panels up so the belt slots would better line up then added spacers at the bottom.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    You actually want the seat belt slots partially blocked by the 3/4" frame tube. This allows the belt to rest on the frame instead of the sheet metal edge. Mine look just like the photo in the OP.

This looks good.

I actually reversed the cockpit panels on the passenger side. Not sure if it's a good idea but it fit perfectly this way.

Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    I slightly raised the the back panels up so the belt slots would better line up then added spacers at the bottom.

George
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 08-22-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    Thank you Pete. How is the 289 coming? You may or may not know my build is the same as yours. I am glad to know that my fitment issues are within the "normal" range. I guess if it all fit perfectly, it would not really be hand built!
    Hi Joel,
    Yes, I remember that yours is also a 289. It's coming along the very dusty trail of fill and block sanding, repeat, repeat etc..Body is on the chassis, it's maybe 60% finished, still have to fill and level the passenger door/fender join and the passenger sill, and hood. The passenger side is the worst area on the car that I can see. Anyone who thinks these are a bolt together plug and pay affair is entirely misguided in their perception. I have run into a few who seem to dismiss the whole thing as a simple paint by numbers thing. I just smile.
    I'll see how I can get some pictures up of the areas that needed filling and block sanding to give you an idea what to look for, I'm sure the 289 bodies share similar, if not the same fitment issues, dips and waves.
    I plan to get everything as close as possible before applying the slicksand hi build primer and guide coat. The body will come off once more to finish up all the edges. Then remount body, and more dusty block sanding. I sand a bit, and vacuum, repeat. It's tedious, but I will get it dead straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pete,

I cannot wait to see pictures that you might post of your progress. Seems that you, Chris Nutting and I are all on a similar track with the 289. Lucky for me, I am a few stages behind both of you and so have the great fortune to learn from your experience.