Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Making Braided Brake Lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Making Braided Brake Lines?

Just curious how many have made there own braided brake lines? Specifically the flex line from the frame to the caliper. Wanting to know because I'm unable to get my rear lines to fit the way I want. A line with a 45* banjo would solve the problem but I can't find pre-made lines with the angled banjo.

Making them doesn't seem to hard, just want to make sure it's safe. I don't have to have my car inspected so I don't have to have DOT approved lines.

Joey

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it is super easy. The best way I found to cut the braided line is with a sharp chisel, a mallet and a piece of hardwood or old Formica counter top. Wrap the braided line tight with electrical tape in the location to be cut. Place in on the hard wood or Formica, put the chisel square to braid in desired location and smack the chisel firmly with the mallet. Voila a super clean cut and no debris from a cut off wheel.

That said you should be able to get a good fit with premade lines , perhaps you are trying to make them too neat and or too short. Slack and wheel clearance are the keys to success hear. Try to flex them in a lazy "S" and don't go at it in a straight shot. You might have to roll them 180 to get the flex just right.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've made lots of braided hoses for automotive use and the hardest ones to make are the smaller sizes like you use for brake lines. If you plan to work with braided hose and AN or JIC fittings do yourself a favor and spring for the correct tools. It makes the job easier and the results will be better. I've read of all sorts of ways to cut the hose but the absolute best way is to use a cutter designed for that purpose. Tools are expensive but without the proper tools you will be fighting the work and may not be happy with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have pin drive wheels with t-bird calipers. The e-brake setup is right in the way of where the line wants to go. The pre-made lines I have are 16". I think a little longer will work, but I'm 99% sure that a45* banjo will solve help. The problem is I can't find pre-made lines with 45* fittings.

I can snap some pics tomorrow of how I have the lines mocked up right now.

Moral of the story here is... my first upgrade once the car is on the road is rear brake setup. I hate the t-bird setup.

Joey

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you can safely pressure check the new lines. I think I recall seeing 1200 as max brake pressure somewhere... if thats true, I'd plan on testing to at least 2000 psi, preferably 2400. I have 3500 psi Nitrogen at work, but I have no idea how I would do that at home in my shop. I would never depend on a home made line that isn't pressure tested.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest way it to have Fragola make them for you. Any size, length, and fitting. http://fragolaperformancesystems.com/

EDIT: They have a massive selection of premade so you most likely won't need custom, but they do custom too.
    Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 08-24-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Snapped these. One at ride height and the other at full droop.

IMG_4136.PNG

IMG_4137.PNG
    Last edited by daltmcintyre; 08-24-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some banjo-to-AN fittings from Summit or the like, combined with some premade AN lines, would solve that awkward fit.

I guess you could make the lines yourself, but it's probably more hassle and legal risk than it's worth. I like to buy critical parts like this from an established, financially responsible company, so that if the lines failed, through no fault of my own, I would have some recourse against that company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just NAZ said, making the smaller lines is the hardest. I own a hydraulic sales & service shop and we make SS hoses from 3/16" to 1 ". Most of the ends swaged on are JIC or SAE, to include female swivel flares as well as pipe (NPT) and a few inverted flare. Unless you have the necessary tooling and know-how, don't make your own brake hoses. They won't be DOT approved and if you have an accident resulting in serious injuries, you'll regret that move. Use approved DOT brake hose suppliers, pay the money and you'll be safer on the road. Even though I can make my own, I don't because they wouldn't have the necessary DOT "J" standard. I can and do make hoses for the steering systems on a number of off shore race boats running 150 mph but not brake hoses on street legal cars. Be safe, use the right supplier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I would rather have someone else make them. When I was searching the other night I didn't see where Peagasus or Fragola made custom lines. I'm going to measure everything out this weekend and order a rear set. Thanks for everybody's feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now would be a good time to swap sides for knuckles and calipers to get the calipers on the front side of the axle.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.