Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Panel Alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Panel Alignment

I've been installing my aluminum panels and so far I'm very happy with how it's going together, but today I'm doing the drivers foot box and the alignment of the A-panel to the foot box inside panel doesn't seem right. Are the panels positioned correctly in the photo? This is how FFR had the panels when I took delivery of the car. I'm thinking the lip of the floorboard should either be completely on the inside or outside. I did an image search and it looks people have it both ways. Thanks!

A Panel.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That panel was a funky fit for me. If you don't care what side it is on, it really shouldn't matter. I went with what fit best.

Post Thanks / Like
    That area won't be seen once you're done. But I put that small tab from the floor piece on the inside. Looks better and follows the assembly sequence.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went to the garage ... minevlooks just like your photo
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll give it another try tonight. This photo shows where I'm having trouble. You can see the side of the foot box extends past the A-panel at the top. I'm hoping I don't have to trim it.

panel 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I can not remember if it was the drivers side but I had to trim my panel for the same reason shown in your photo.

Before you trim the panel make sure that everything lines up properly first. It is not uncommon to have to modify a panel here and there to get everything to line up correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KegMechanic View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll give it another try tonight. This photo shows where I'm having trouble. You can see the side of the foot box extends past the A-panel at the top. I'm hoping I don't have to trim it.

panel 2.JPG
    Fitting to two footbox sides to the A-panel can take a little finesse. But I haven't had to trim anything on my builds. Are you sure you can't push the edge of the footbox side back at the top so it lines up better? That aluminum bend on the footbox side is pretty flexible. I'd also try to get it a little closer to the 2x2 tube at the top. Moving the floor tab to the inside like I suggested before would probably help.

Also, FWIW, at the top of that footbox panel is typically where the rear wiring harness leg is brought into the cockpit. Previous versions of that panel had a hole there. You typically had to enlarge it, but it was at least started. Interesting it doesn't look like they do that any more? Something to check because it's way easier to get that hole cut while the piece is loose.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Fitting to two footbox sides to the A-panel can take a little finesse. But I haven't had to trim anything on my builds. Are you sure you can't push the edge of the footbox side back at the top so it lines up better? That aluminum bend on the footbox side is pretty flexible. I'd also try to get it a little closer to the 2x2 tube at the top. Moving the floor tab to the inside like I suggested before would probably help.

Also, FWIW, at the top of that footbox panel is typically where the rear wiring harness leg is brought into the cockpit. Previous versions of that panel had a hole there. You typically had to enlarge it, but it was at least started. Interesting it doesn't look like they do that any more? Something to check because it's way easier to get that hole cut while the piece is loose.
    Thanks. Looks like I won't be able to mess with it until tomorrow. Our state fair started this week and the wife wants to go tonight. She doesn't think it would be more fun to fit aluminum panels. Sometimes, I just don't understand her!

Anyway, I looked at the instructions for the wiring harness and I see the hole you are talking about. It is definitely not in the panel. Looks like I'll have to get out a hole saw when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine didn't come with the hole for the wiring harness. I believe I did trim that piece a little bit.

I installed my rear harness and rear sheet metal and then remembered I needed to cut the hole in the foot box panel in the photo. Would have been a smaller hole if I cut the hole and then passed the harness through. Because my harness was already installed my foot box panel hole had to be big enough for the two connectors to pass through.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine did not have the footbox hole for the rear harness. Ron Francis wiring instructions has you drilling a hole in the firewall, then the rear harness slips through the firewall and turning back down and into the trans tunnel to run back. I visited another build local to me, about a year ahead of mine, and their wiring book did not have the same instructions as mine, so it has been changed and updated.

I did not have the funky panel fit that the OP is having.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I was finally able to get back at it today. I put the tab from the floorboard on the inside and was able to get everything lined up. I had to have my daughter stand in the engine compartment and push in a little on the A-panel with a 2X4, while I drilled the holes. I now have everything for the foot box drilled and cleckoed (is that a word? lol)

panel 3.jpg