BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk IV Build Plan

Post Thanks / Like

Mk IV Build Plan

Hi guys, like everybody else on this forum, I've wanted to build a Mk IV for years and am finally getting down to the crux of making decisions and addressing peripheral needs to make this happen. I don't live in a big house, in fact, I only have a single garage but am motivated to make this work. From your experience, is a single garage big enough to build out a roadster?

Cheers,

Rallen

Post Thanks / Like
    yea man i have seen a lot of builds in a single garage,... setup is key..... where do you live?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rallen

I am building my car in a one car garage town house. It measures 10x19 and is less than 8ft tall in some spots. I used harbor freight furniture Dollies for the chassis and built my body buck appropriately. I am not going to sugarcoat it. It sucks as your build progresses. In the beginning there is ample room, but things get more cramped. It is certainly doable though. I am now in the go kart stage. Store your boxes elsewhere and build shelves into your body buck. Stay organized and take care of your back.

Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have a 1 car garage and was very concerned about it going into this project, but it has largely been a non-issue.
    Being organized with your tools and boxes of parts is key. And I planned additional parts deliveries as I needed them, rather than all upfront- especially the engine/transmission. The body storage is the only other factor- mine was just on a buck in my backyard (exposed to the elements).
    Take a look at my build thread for more detail: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It is definitely doable. I've been building since late March in a single car garage. Luckily I have a basement where I put all of the boxes. I you are working alone have someone check on you from time to time to make sure you are OK and use jack stands. Never get under your build if it is not supported by jack stands.
    JR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm in a single bay set up also, but with a little more room on either side of the car.
    All the boxes have been in our Master Bedroom or Living Room so every part installed on the car is a big deal.
    I'm down to the the end of my build so it's a big incentive to work on the car so that boxes can leave our living space.
    While It Is Definitely Doable, You Better Have One Heck Of A Spouse If You Are Married!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-25-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I'm in a single bay set up also, but with a little more room on either side of the car.
    All the boxes have been in our Master Bedroom or Living Room so every part installed on the car is a big deal.
    I'm down to the the end of my build so it's a big incentive to work on the car so that boxes can leave our living space.
    While It Is Definitely Doable, You Better Have One Heck Of A Spouse If You Are Married!

Steve
    haha, I know what you are saying. I'm waiting for my kit show up, but I'm going to build mine in my 2 1/2 car garage. Which should be plenty of room, except I still have to park my wife's car in the garage and my Harley. So that basically leaves me the size of a single car stall to work with. My wife saw a picture the other day of all the boxes that come with the kit. She asked me where I was going to put all of those. I jokingly told her, "well, since we need some end tables in the living room, I was planning on putting some of the big boxes next to the couches and throwing some fabric over them to make them look good." She wasn't impressed. LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gone this route. Hopefully, I can find a way to get it all in the garage or shed.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get most of the boxes on shelves in the garage that I built for this purpose. Others that I wouldn't be needing for a while went into the attic. And a few that were more delicate (windshield, hood) went under the bed. While I'm jealous of those with more space and a lift, I can be done in a small space.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great news - thank you guys! I was quite concerned that this might be the nail in the coffin for the project, but hearing that you guys have successfully got through it with those space restrictions, even if it is a bit of a pain in the ***, is inspiring. I'm up in Calgary, Alberta and have a space that is 19' x 11', so what sounds in keeping with what you guys have dealt with. My wife is hugely understanding and has even offered to allow me to put a car starter in her little Honda Fit for when winter hits. As for the garage, I will likely have to build some more sturdy shelving units, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Thank god we don't have kids yet to compete with the space requirements of boxes etc.

Thanks for sending me your build threads. How did the body hold up in the back yard Jdav?

If you guys don't mind, would you guys mind giving me your two cents on running gear and build specs at some point over the next week or two. Over the weekend I'll compile all of my napkins into an excel spread sheet and post it up here for your guys review.

Rallen

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put the body back on for the first time last week. After a good scrubbing to get all the gunk and bird poop off, it looks like the dat it arrived. Granted, that was over a southern spring and summer and not a Canadian winter.

Running gear is all what your preference is. I went with a coyote (and tko 600 trans) so that once I'm done building, I won't have to tinker with it and can turn the key and cruise. Others want the old school period correct engine. I also went solid axle rear end, mainly as a cost savings, but hear great things about the IRS if that fits in your budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you are building shelves, most of the boxes are 33x23x7
    There are several odd size ones too

Post Thanks / Like
    http://contractorkurt.com/2012/02/18...mightyshelves/

These things made my smallish build space work. Size them to fit the boxes (mine are 26" wide - make sure to leave room behind the all-thread for your box size) and you can store an amazing amount of stuff up and out of your way. Much, much cheaper than the ceiling-mounted metal rack shelves.