Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wisconsonite Lurker

Post Thanks / Like

Wisconsonite Lurker

Howdy!
    Long time lurker of FF, not quite as long of a lurker on the forums.

I ended up building and selling a dream car of mine (1993 Mazda RX7, Corvette LS6, 2010 Camaro TR6060 trans) and since Im done with my 2nd round of school, it's time to start thinking about a new project and fun car.

I'm a larger guy, so fitting in vehicles is a challenge. Ive read some techniques on here about getting more legroom, footroom etc but I'd need to find a vehicle to sit in before I take the plunge.

Currently in digging through the forums, it looks like my best bet would be the '65 coupe or '33 rod, but the rod has less footwell space from the sounds of it.

If I can't find anyone within a decent distance of me (Central Wisconsin) I may end up flying out to MA to sit in their cars and "test fit" per say.

Either way, im glad I finally joined the forums, and look forward to continuing to watch everyones builds progress!

Grommit

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your hunt and decision! Regarding the Coupe, probably you know this but I'll state it anyway. Factory Five released the Gen 3 Coupe last year at SEMA, and customer deliveries are underway. But there aren't too many out there. So unless there are new builds in your area, going to MA is going to be your best bet to see the Gen 3. Sounds like the added door opening and inside space provided by the Gen 3 would be important to you. Just a caution though. There's plenty of room once you're in. But getting in and out, even the improved Gen 3, is still a bit of a flexibility challenge. There's also a pretty wide sill to cross at the door opening. Many (most?) won't have a problem. But let's just say it's way easier to get in and out of the '33. I've examined the Gen 3 Coupe in MA at the open house earlier this year, and then again at London a couple weeks later. Still working on the most graceful way to get in and out. Planning to start a build later this year.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-25-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    Yea, I started getting a lot more interested with the new Gen3 coupes due to the larger doors, and more overall room. A friend has a Superformance Roadster Ill be sitting in when she finally brings it around, but I believe those are period correct replicas, so much less room than the factory five by my guess.

As far as getting in and out, I had a 93 FD RX7 with race buckets, it was NEVER pretty, full moons were in abundance when I would enter/exit. But hey, I got it down and as long as the driving/sitting position is good, thats all that matters.

Yep, if I have to drive hours thats fine to find one, however, a short vacation to MA wouldnt be the worst idea either, and I do have vacation days to burn as it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    A friend has a Superformance Roadster Ill be sitting in when she finally brings it around, but I believe those are period correct replicas, so much less room than the factory five by my guess.
    Not sure what you mean since you've only mentioned the Coupe and '33. The Roadster is different than either of those, and doesn't necessarily compare. If you're comparing a Superformance Roadster to a Factory Five, I wouldn't say the Superformance is necessarily more period correct (insert argument here...) or that it has less space than the Factory Five. Actually just the opposite from what I've seen. The Superformance Roadster has the engine a bit forward compared to the Factory Five. So the footboxes actually appear a bit larger. But in either case, not really comparable to the Coupe or '33. Now if you're talking about a Superformance Coupe, that's a whole other story. Theirs is decidedly not very authentic. Roof line and doors are different, including actual windows. Interior is very OE/DD in appearance. Very nice, but not much like the originals or even the Factory Five version.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'6, 230. I sat in a roadster (modified for a big and tall) and discovered I could get in and out without generating too much attention and I could see through the middle of the windshield, rather than looking over the top. With those basics covered, I bought a MK IV and am in the process of building.

I've sat in a 33 without a top. It was not modified for tall guys but I figured I could make one work with reasonable modifications (automatic, maybe a top and removable steering wheel, some light sheet metal work).

I did not attempt to get into the Gen III Coupe they had at SEMA. I think I could get in. Didn't want the paramedics to have to break out the jaws of life on that brand new frame to get me out.

The MK IV for sure can handle big guys. You get in it like a WWII fighter. Sep on the seat, grab the wheel and slip under. To exit, grab the wheel and trans tunnel and press yourself up. Once you put a roof on one of these you have to figure out how to spill out sideways onto the pavement without looking like you are having a stroke.

If you get a chance to sit in a stock roadster or 33, know that the pedals can be moved 2" forward and Kirkey seats will buy you 2-3" of headroom and legroom over the stock seats. Not sure about the pedals on the Coupe and I think the stock seat on a Couple might already be a Kirkey.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb -
    That I didn't know. I thought the Superformance vehicles were licensed and period/dimensionally correct, where FF made improvements to chassis and room etc. I had blindly figured that meant less room in the superformance, and more in the FF. Either way, a friend just bought a Superformance MKIII and she hit me up that she "should" be bringing it to our local Cars and Coffee meet this weekend for me to take a seat in just to see if I am even remotely close.

I'm interested in sitting in any and all of them, as I am a fan of them all, the Coupe and Roadster are by far my favorites though. I also believe the FF Coupe looks tremendously better than the Superformance.

It really boils down to what I fit in, or can be made to fit in, and yes I know there are multiple steps documented on the forums to assist larger gentlemen fit more comfortably, but if the overall design is WAY off for me, then its not worth it to pursue it sadly.
    Issue is there are not many I can find in Wisconsin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I'm 6'6, 230. I sat in a roadster (modified for a big and tall) and discovered I could get in and out without generating too much attention and I could see through the middle of the windshield, rather than looking over the top. With those basics covered, I bought a MK IV and am in the process of building.

I've sat in a 33 without a top. It was not modified for tall guys but I figured I could make one work with reasonable modifications (automatic, maybe a top and removable steering wheel, some light sheet metal work).

I did not attempt to get into the Gen III Coupe they had at SEMA. I think I could get in. Didn't want the paramedics to have to break out the jaws of life on that brand new frame to get me out.

If you get a chance to sit in a stock roadster or 33, know that the pedals can be moved 2" forward and Kirkey seats will buy you 2-3" of headroom and legroom over the stock seats. Not sure about the pedals on the Coupe and I think the stock seat on a Couple might already be a Kirkey.

-Steve
    Awesome that is good to hear!
    I had 4 90-93 Miata's so the getting in and out like you mention is second nature in those cars. Sadly they are just too cramped for track driving for me now.
    Kirkey is my go to seat, used them in multiple vehicles now, same seat just moved around. For a track toy, I can deal with a numb behind on the way to the track!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I have an 818S titled/plated in the Milwaukee area if you are ever around and want to talk shop sometime. I don't have a ton of input on the foot room, or the other builds as I am a bit shorter. The flight out to FFR is 100% worth the time, I did before purchasing and was glad I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidice129 View Post
    Welcome! I have an 818S titled/plated in the Milwaukee area if you are ever around and want to talk shop sometime. I don't have a ton of input on the foot room, or the other builds as I am a bit shorter. The flight out to FFR is 100% worth the time, I did before purchasing and was glad I did.
    Really??!?!? How?!? I've read horror stories of people not being able to register 818's in WI here. Guy in Green Bay got it all together and they declined him and threatened a tow and stuff.
    I'm still a new member but if you can PM me I love talking shop! Plus I'm out there at Miller park for SCCA autoX commonly. Was just there last week. And I would totally make that drive in a heartbeat to take a peek at an 818!!! I

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

I'm 6'5" 225 lbs and I fit pretty good in my 33. Currently I run topless but I'm in the process of fitting a top and I still fit

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Really??!?!? How?!? I've read horror stories of people not being able to register 818's in WI here. Guy in Green Bay got it all together and they declined him and threatened a tow and stuff.
    I'm still a new member but if you can PM me I love talking shop! Plus I'm out there at Miller park for SCCA autoX commonly. Was just there last week. And I would totally make that drive in a heartbeat to take a peek at an 818!!! I
    Have all your paperwork together is really the long and short of it. Responded more in the PM you sent, so it doesn't look like I was ignoring you because I missed the response on this!