Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Need your opinions.

Guys need some opinions. I'm not doing a ford engine so please not hating. I had previously decided to run a Ls1 383 with a weaind 6-71 blower for my 33. Since I am still in my research phase, I found some things that concern me with it. First I have never ran, installed or otherwise used a blower. While I love the idea of the big blower sticking up and no hood, I also love the idea of have a hood and full fenders. So during my research I started looking more closely at the modern ls engine offerings and want some opinions.

Option 1
    Blueprint built all forged 383 long block that will have a 6-71 and t5 added to it. Open hood no fenders.

Option 2
    Chevy performance build LS3 with a T56 and full fenders and closed hood.

while I have no experience at tuning a LS3 my dad does as he is service manager for a GM dealer. Cost difference is negligible by the time you buy dress parts for the ugly pig LS3.

Also any one have any experience installing either of these in the 33?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cpt

You guys have already helped me in so many ways lol

Post Thanks / Like
    This depends on the drivability you are looking for. The blower will look cool but it may be hard to see around it. The ls3 will be turn the key and drive it. I have always thought a ls3 with twin turbos. How much do you want to drive it? You also have to think rain. Do you always want to check the weather when you drive it or do you want to jump in and take the car anyplace? I may have just gave you more questions than answers. The best thing is your first drive after you built it.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    What you plan to do with the car will help you choose a power train. Be advised that the farther you get from what FFR supports the more difficult and expensive your build will be. FFR does support the SBC and that engine coupled with a TKO trans is an easy fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car will be a cruiser mostly for weekends and the occasional car show. I had not thought of visibility issues, that may indeed be a factor. FF supports both choices though the blower drive and accessories may prove a problem as well. The ls3 would have a definite edge in reliability once it was all set up.
    Back to the original question, I doubt this car will ever see the track, maybe a street race against my old mans roadrunner just to deflate his mopar ego, but that would be it.

Also. Anyone know of a 6 speed manual that would fit maybe the teemed 6060?

Thanks cpt

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There is a 6 speed that will fit a SBC or BBC and can be adapted to an LS mill, but you will be getting into rare and/or custom built parts which will get pricey if you want to adapt an LS to this transmission. It is the ZF S6-40 that came in the 1989-1995 LT-5 / ZR-1 / C-4 Corvettes which has a longer shaft than the standard ZF gear box used with the Gen-1 and Gen-2 Small Block Chevy Engines.

Check out Bill Boudreaux's website shown below for any ZF transmission facts and how to adapt it to an LS engine to this transmission:
    http://www.zfdoc.com/projects.htm

My suggestion is to pick up a low mileage C-4 Corvette that has the ZF S6-40 transmission and use it for a donor.
    The L98's were in the 1989-1991 model years, with the 2nd Gen LT-1's from 1992-1996, the LT-4 was 1996 only with the LT-5's from the year 1989-1995.
    Many of these cars can be picked up for a song and you may want to look at the ZR-1's if you want to have something really unusual tucked between the frame rails of your dream car.

Dino's Corvette Salvage Has One Ready To Be Plucked:
    http://www.corvettesalvage.com/index...0849dr054n64qp

As for me, I am likely the only person that has installed a 383 SBC with a ZF gear box that is sitting in front of a Moser TSD-500 Dana 44 style solid axle 3 link set up.
    It's definitly not the normal setup for a Factory Five.

Good Luck From The Dark Side:

Driveline Installation:
    https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Pre First Flight Overview:
    https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

First Go-Kart Drive:
    https://youtu.be/BcsVu80VG5k
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-26-2017 at 07:19 AM.