FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IowaBen's MK4 #9018 Build

Post Thanks / Like

IowaBen's MK4 #9018 Build

Time to start a build thread. Picked up my complete kit in January, but had to let it sit for a bit. Pulled the body off last week and removed aluminum panels. Ready to start adding parts this weekend!

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome. Your helpers look pretty excited. With boys that age your build will probably have a few starts and stops but you are in for some great experiences. Let me guess, black with gold stripes? Hawkeye colors?

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You're Going To Have A Ton Of Fun Building Your Car With With Your Boys!

Just don't get frustrated if they don't share your enthusiasm all of the time.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be following along. I received my complete kit in July but haven't got a good start yet, Hopefully in the next couple weeks.
    Sounds like you should have plenty of little helpers, enjoy the build! Where in Iowa are you? I'm in Oskaloosa.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun. Enjoy the adventure.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am amazed that you could wait 8 months to remove the body and aluminum panels! I hope you have a world of fun. I envy you and your boys doing this project together. You, and they, will never forget it!! We will all enjoy the journey with you. I will look forward to reading your thread!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you're going to have a fun build with your family. Congratulations on starting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Congratulations and welcome. Your helpers look pretty excited. With boys that age your build will probably have a few starts and stops but you are in for some great experiences. Let me guess, black with gold stripes? Hawkeye colors?

-Steve
    Can't go wrong with Hawkeye colors. Haven't landed on a color - could pretty much be talked into anything at this point, and I'm dreading it a little (1st world problems). I'll probably just defer to the wife ... probably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Good to see your boys involved.

Where are you in Iowa? I lived in Iowa for about 3 years. I was in Charles City, just east of Mason City. I am now back down south. Took me a couple of years to thaw out but I am all warmed up now

Good luck and I will be following along.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCrouse View Post
    I'll be following along. I received my complete kit in July but haven't got a good start yet, Hopefully in the next couple weeks.
    Sounds like you should have plenty of little helpers, enjoy the build! Where in Iowa are you? I'm in Oskaloosa.

Bob
    I'm in Muscatine - glad to hear there is another build in process close by. Several complete and a few in process in the Quad Cities - glad there are some close incase I need to scout something out, though I'm sure all the info I need is on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Catching up on progress from the last couple weeks:

Boys helped pull off the doors and trunk lid. Realized at this point that I will be able to build this car without lifting a tool.
    IMG_0056.JPG

Daughter helping with the body buck
    IMG_0061.JPG

The body is off!
    IMG_0070.JPG

Given that I expect this to be a long term project, I wanted to get the body up out of the way to keep the workspace less claustrophobic. Added shelves for parts and the aluminum panels. Probably could have hung it from the ceiling, but I'm glad I don't have to wonder every time I open the garage door whether I'm going to find that the body had fallen - that would be my luck :/
    IMG_0123.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Removing aluminum panels with my 2 boys plus a nephew. This is what you get when you've explained "lefty loosey" way too many times:
    IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

Down to the frame. Time to start adding parts!
    IMG_0134.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Dad working on laying out the first few panels. Just holding in place with clecos for now. Will wait to rivet as long as possible.
    IMG_0136.JPG

I guess some sort of amendment to the rules of shotgun have been worked out with his brother
    IMG_0138.JPG

Attached the f-panels
    IMG_0152.JPG

So, "issues" encountered to this point:

1) The f-panels were installed at factory five with sheet metal screws. I marked where the parts overlap the frame for rivet placement. I noticed that the upper/diagonal tube was only half overlapped by the f-panel - not leaving much room for a rivet to be installed without being very close to the edge. I needed to slide the f-panels forward about 1/4" or more to get the front edge of the f-panel flush with the diagonal tube. In doing so, the top corner of the f-panel now overlapped a weld seam, and that corner of the f-panel would have a bump out in it. I ended up just trimming the f-panel so it was short of the weld seam. Hoping that shift doesn't somehow come back to burn me somehow.

2) I'm planning to sharkhide any panel not exposed to the road, and undercoat/bedliner the exposed panels. Of course the F-panels are a combination. The basic undercoating spray I got gave me the impression that it was going to be thick and rubbery. I expected coating before riveting would be problematic. I posted a separate question, and ended up with the overall plan to use brush on undercoating after the parts are installed. However, I had a spare can of spray on bedliner that I wanted to try for just these panels (knowing I'll still undercoat over them later). Long story short, it was a bit of a fiasco with armature hour trials and errors (overspray getting on my sharkhided side for example). I installed the panel after I got the finish of both sides complete after plenty of rework. I dinged the panel with my rivet gun almost immediately, and I'm glad I'm not going that route. That said, I'm sure there are right ways to do it, and I now know that any painting will be left to someone who knows what they are doing

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Do yourself a favor and remove the panhard bar frame mount as well, so you don't do what I did when I installed my rear end under the cross brace.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on the front suspension here and there over labor day weekend.

Several minor headaches encountered. Had big plans to crank through the front end suspension, but got hung up on spacing for the lower control arms as well as several hardware issues -damaged threads on a few critical items to keep thing moving forward (of course). Also a few tool shortages. Did find that Autozone has the tools needed for the hub nut though.

Anyways, one issue being trying to get the last upper control arm bolt torqued down. Had a hard time getting a wrench on the nut, and ended up grinding down one of my old wrenches to get better engagement. That ended up working.
    IMG_0233.JPG

After all said and done, I got the PS complete. Will need to go through and tighten everything down now. On the DS, I thought I just need a replacement castle nut to finish that side off, but found that there is a hole in the lower ball joint boot that I'll need to figure out how do deal with first.
    IMG_0236.JPG

Glad to have some parts on the car. Has gone a bit slower than expected (as I try to get a feel for things, and make sure I don't screw anything up) with a few more hassles than I would have expected for what I'm sure are the more straight forward pieces. But, we are getting through them, and I'm still really enjoying it.

I have appreciated being able to read up on a few things to look out for on the forum so I don't have to repeat at least some of the challenges, although at the same time I know I'll look back at some of my questions I've had already and roll my eyes at myself.

Onward - one part at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Looking good! Do yourself a favor and remove the panhard bar frame mount as well, so you don't do what I did when I installed my rear end under the cross brace.
    Thanks! Starting to lay out parts for the rear end as the next area to work on. I'll be sure to do that first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are making great progress! Thanks for sharing your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are making great progress. Thanks for sharing this Build Thread. I am scheduled to pick my kit up at the factory on Sept. 16. I am looking forward to getting started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben-

Off to a good start. Cool to see the kids getting involved in helping out. I like the go-fast hair cuts on the boys -- at least that's what we called them in my house!

Don't worry about the few hiccups you have encountered. We all have them at some point in the build, and most can be resolved with a bit of effort. Sometimes, just a bit of time away to rethink the problem can help. Of course, there are some awesome folks here on the forum to help. I have always been amazed at just how terrific the folks here are, and how great they are at helping folks move past their challenges!

Good luck moving forward. I look forward to watching your progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, man! How did you get the body up on top your buck? Multiple ladders?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Looking good, man! How did you get the body up on top your buck? Multiple ladders?
    Built the body buck per the manual. Added 2' 4x4 posts in each corner. Put the body on the buck.

IMG_0081.JPG

Then, the plan was to use one person per post to lift the car, and another to place a 5' 4x4 under each post (with tie brackets). We ended up lifting the car up, then angling the car at about a 45 degree angle to attach the 2 rear posts, and then raised the front end to add those posts. Shelving and bracing added after moved into position. Pretty sturdy now, and I'm glad to have the shelving.

IMG_0118.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting on a few parts issues (found ball joint boot had a tear in it; had 3 RH and 1 LH rod end instead of 2 of each), so work has been a little scattered.

Started to prep the rear end. Picked up a refurbished rear end with disc brakes from Forte's when I picked up my kit.

Needed to be painted. Forgot to get a "before" pic, so below was a mid paint pic. Used POR15 black paint.

IMG_0238.JPG

Here is the painted version with the brackets attached. After painting I figured out that I probably should have cut off the unused shock mounts, so I did that and will touch up the paint. I also have an alternate diff cover (aluminum that is finned and has drain/fill ports) that I'll use instead of the chrome one.

IMG_0251.JPG

Primary issue I encountered was the fit of the bracket for the upper link to the axle shaft. The inside radius of the welded assembly did not match the outer radius of the axle shaft, and there would definitely be no tightening it down to snug it up. So, I took to the angle grinder to open up the bracket and get the fit closer. Below is a before picture of the gap.
    IMG_0249a.jpg

Lastly, I stumbled upon some video showing a guy using a syringe to fill in some etching with paint. Since I will probably just use sharkhide on these control arms, I decided to give it a try here. A little time killer for one evening this week.
    IMG_0258.JPG

Hoping some parts show up and I can wrap up what I've started this weekend.

Oh, also on my list to verify what I need to consider doing for potential brake upgrades. Will be scouring the forum as I get the impression there is room for improvement when using what the kit provides. Want to figure out what plan B is before I get to far, partially so I can decide whether to get it out of the way now.

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    That syringe paint method looks sharp! Never would have thought of that. Did you thin the paint at all?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    That syringe paint method looks sharp! Never would have thought of that. Did you thin the paint at all?
    No, but that would have helped