FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sequence question

Post Thanks / Like

Sequence question

I plan to use a spray on bedliner type finish on panels exposed to the road grime. On say the F panels, any issue with finishing the outside of the panel before installing? I was thinking that maybe I need to rivet against the metal first, then tape off and finish the panel to avoid any issues with the layer of bedliner between the rivet and the metal panel. However, I suspect I'm overthinking it, and I also think I've seen panels installed after finishing.

Thanks,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    As a general rule, I would recommend against putting a heavy coat of anything between the panels and where they attach. They are precisely laser cut and fit very closely for the most part. The added thickness of a heavy coating would build up tolerances to the point you could have fitment issues. For some individual pieces, like the F panels, you might get away with it. But in general I wouldn't do it.

Related, there is a lot of forum discussion about finishing the panels to "protect" against road hazards, grime, stones, etc. In my experience, the only real panels this applies to are the wheel well splash guards, aka elephant ears. The sides facing the tires take the brunt of what comes off the road and should be heavily coated. The rest can be finished however you like (paint, powder coat, nothing, whatever) and be none the worse for wear IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben,

The Rustoleum bed liner spray I used does not create a thick layer of material like a rolled on liner or a professional spray-on liner. I've coated my F panels as well as all of my exposed panels and have not had any issues with fitment due to the bed liner. I recommend if you plan to coat the panels that you fit everything before they are coated, drill all your holes, then coat the panels and finally, silicone and rivet them into place. This has worked well for me. My only fitment issue has been a result of mounting the DS front foot box panel before fitting with the other DS panels.

I also plan to use heavier roll-on bed liner on the underside of the body as Paul did in his build. This will hopefully prevent any issues from rocks flying off the tires and creating damage to the paint.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 08-27-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Like EdwardB ... I would not or should I say did not have anything between the panels and their frame supports except the adhesive recommended in the manual.

I did spray mine in advance of installing them but this is the procedure I used to avoid putting the material in the mating areas:

1. Clean the panels with degreaser and paint prep;
    2. Install the panel with clecos;
    3. Using a marking pin I outlined the framed areas on to the panel. In most cases is it was not always easy to do this so I would mark a few spots and then use a straight edge to finish the outline;
    4. Painter's tape was used to mask off the areas that were not to be painted with the undercoating/bed liner; and,
    5. Sprayed on the undercoating and pulled the tap before it completely dried.

Yes it is more work but it gives a good solid surface to apply the adhesive.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    You can finish the F panels sides visible to the engine compartment in any way you like ( sharkhide powder coat or whatever ) and then rivet them on. There are brush on undercoatings that work well and don't require masking off.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious after reading some of the other posts in this thread just how thick the bed liner spray was.

So, I measured a bare piece of aluminum:

And then one of my F Panels (coated on both sides):

That's only .006 inches (6 mills) of material, so 3 mills for a panel coated on just one side. Powder coating will be between 2-5 mills thickness as a comparison.
    Last edited by Papa; 08-27-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to "sequence" I go with "less is more" Make sure you use the proper glue and don't shy away from Rhinestones....you can even Bedazzle your driving shoes to match....You.....Will.....Be....FABULOUSE !

I am SO sorry for that. It popped in my head yesterday and typing it was the only way to make it stop playing over....and over....and over...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    When it comes to "sequence" I go with "less is more" Make sure you use the proper glue and don't shy away from Rhinestones....you can even Bedazzle your driving shoes to match....You.....Will.....Be....FABULOUSE !

I am SO sorry for that. It popped in my head yesterday and typing it was the only way to make it stop playing over....and over....and over...da Bat
    Let this be as a public service announcement about the dangerous effects of paint fumes. Wear those respirators.
    Bat, go outside and breath in some fresh air. The voices in your head should quiet down....
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    ...The voices in your head should quiet down....
    You don't understand. He likes those voices 'cause nobody else will talk to him.

O

Post Thanks / Like

That would be "sequins" ... At first, I thought your reference to rhinestones was regarding rivets. Yes, it's been a looong day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    That would be "sequins" ... At first, I thought your reference to rhinestones was regarding rivets. Yes, it's been a looong day.

Sequins, Sequence You say potato I say "It's five o-freekin-clock, WHY DON'T I HAVER A DRINK IN MY HAND" .....so Papa, ya know a lot about sequins do ya?.....Dang !So much wrong with that sentence....now I just feel dirty.....wonderful ! Up all night singing show tunes !....AGAIN !......OOOOOOOOOOklahoma...

Post Thanks / Like
    ... "It's five o-freekin-clock, WHY DON'T I HAVE A DRINK IN MY HAND"...
    I'll drink to that!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have to "wait" til 5 o'clock to drink, you may have a problem. Wait.............what???? Look who I'm talking too.

26, that one always gets crickets.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Miller...ya' know it's 5 o'clock here 3 hours sooner than it's 5 o'clock there...just something to think about By the way, when we go to Hawaii 5 o'clock comes 3 hours later for you and 6---yeah SIX!--- hours later for me We're gonna' have to figure a way to work this predicament out. The term "3 day bender" comes to mind.

O

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I was curious after reading some of the other posts in this thread just how thick the bed liner spray was.

So, I measured a bare piece of aluminum:

And then one of my F Panels (coated on both sides):

That's only .006 inches (6 mills) of material, so 3 mills for a panel coated on just one side. Powder coating will be between 2-5 mills thickness as a comparison.
    I agree the thickness of powder coat doesn't affect fitment of the panels. Interesting that sprayed on bed liner isn't too much thicker. So applied like that also shouldn't be a problem. But IMO, that thickness of bedliner is basically just a color coat. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. But it's not going to provide much protection against rock chips or whatever, if that's what you're expecting. On my #8674 build I initially used sprayed on bedliner on the tire sides of the splash guards. Probably similar to the thickness shown here. After 500+ miles I noticed a number of spots where the bedliner was damaged through to the aluminum. Which would explain the clinking sounds I was hearing. I removed all four splash guards and brushed on two heavy coats of Rust-Oleum Automotive Undercoating from HD. That application is holding up without any apparent damage and has cut the noise down dramatically. That thickness would also very much affect panel fitment if it were between layers.

Sorry to bring this thread back on topic. Or maybe I'm the one off topic.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-29-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Hey Miller...ya' know it's 5 o'clock here 3 hours sooner than it's 5 o'clock there...just something to think about By the way, when we go to Hawaii 5 o'clock comes 3 hours later for you and 6---yeah SIX!--- hours later for me We're gonna' have to figure a way to work this predicament out. The term "3 day bender" comes to mind.

O

Sooo! I will never go to Hawaii again. Now you are saying if I come live in your garage I could start drinking earlier......Well, that just won't work either. I get pretty messed up right where I'm at,,,I couldn't imagine adding a couple extra hours to my window of debauchery. Oh! But it would get later sooner there...a little confusing (and I'm sober right now)...kinda like one of those time pairofducks . and bless Edward for trying to get the post back on track !...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    ... if I come live in your garage I could start drinking earlier...
    Oh no, if you come to live im my garage I'll be calling this guy in...

Frankeeski highly recommends him---said he had to use his services to run you out of his garage a while back. Reportedly the cleanup is still ongoing. As for Paul (edwardb) ...we gotta' show him how to work the time zones to his advantage when it comes to Happy Hour(s) and he'll forget all about getting this thread back on track

O

batremoval.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    It's always beer-thirty in Kansas, Maybe the Jeff's could/should meet here.
    chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Oh no, if you come to live im my garage I'll be calling this guy in...

Frankeeski highly recommends him---said he had to use his services to run you out of his garage a while back. Reportedly the cleanup is still ongoing. As for Paul (edwardb) ...we gotta' show him how to work the time zones to his advantage when it comes to Happy Hour(s) and he'll forget all about getting this thread back on track

O

batremoval.JPG

Yeah, about that....You remove daBat and you will definitely have repair and clean up....When I get cornered I use a little trick I learned from the gorillas at the zoo.......INCOMING !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Brings to mind a friend of mine who one Saturday morning immediately started drinking when he got out of bed stating, "If you are going to drink all day, you have to get an early start".

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input, and entertainment. I think I'll go the roll on route for the outside panels, but for everything else I'll just dip the parts in elmers glue and then coat with glitter. Beer time! I think that ties all the thread comments together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you guys are too much. I am staring at my computer laughing uncontrollably. My wife is looking at me like she needs to call for professional help.

Note to self.....DON'T CORNER MILLER!!

Sorry IowaBen. I think this thread might be gone for good. Hopefully you got something useful.
    Last edited by srobinsonx2; 08-29-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let this be as a public service announcement about the dangerous effects of paint fumes. Wear those respirators.
    Bat, go outside and breath in some fresh air. The voices in your head should quiet down....
    Straversi - Da Bat has been known to where respirators every once in a while -- mostly when he is being filmed. Case in point: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVdnsYKzwGY

Miller - I was a bit disappointed to not see a cigarette hanging out of your vent while you painted. Although the bit at 2 mins and 53 seconds in the video was classic!

CraigF

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Straversi - Da Bat has been known to wear respirators every once in a while -- mostly when he is being filmed. Case in point: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVdnsYKzwGY

Miller - I was a bit disappointed to not see a cigarette hanging out of your vent while you painted. Although the bit at 2 mins and 53 seconds in the video was classic!

CraigF