BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OMG! My paint!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! My paint!

On my way to a Cars/Coffee yesterday and passed though a couple construction zones. I passed through some kind of mist that covered the car with SOMETHING that feels like sand. It's not water soluble. I tried some degreaser in a hidden spot. It did the job after some rubbing, but don't know if it's safe! I know I have plenty of work ahead, but what's safe to get this stuff off?
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sten!
    Well that sucks I'd try a clay bar.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur...clay bar....most likely paint overspray.

Post Thanks / Like
    On older paint types, we used acetone to clean away [non-water soluble] bugs and road tar damage. You might want to try that in a hidden spot to verify that the acetone doesn't effect newer style paint materials.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be concrete overspray.

Put the vehicle in cool shade and wash it. Use full strength vinegar, spray it on liberally to the concrete spots, wait 5 mins, repeat until it begins to soften. Then lightly rub it off with a soft rag. If some areas are still hard, Repeat as necessary. It'll come off. Be patient.

My Explorer was sprayed with concrete while parked on the street here in the DR leaving maybe 25 hard blobs. The above worked very well.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever is on there is undetectable until you put your hand on the car. Looks like a good wash and claybar to the rescue!!
    Thanks all! Really didn't want to use any type of solvents! Off to Wally World!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone should not affect modern urethane paints, but it will dissolve lacquer or enamel, immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I ran out to Walmart and picked up a Mother's clay bar kit. WOW! That crap flew off the car! It's soooo smooth I almost don't want to put anything on it! But I will of course. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sten,

Bummer to hear this happened after our event - glad you made it down to the market and even more glad that you got the smeg off your car!!!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Smeg- free is a good thing! It was fun to get together Chris!