Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Inner fender aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Inner fender aluminum

I'm searching for some pictures and info on the rear inner fender aluminum. How well do they fit and seal the engine compartment. I know the tabs hold the aluminum in place but did any body mount them to the fender itself?
    Fiberglassing tabs or bonding mounting hardware to the fiberglass fender?
    Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    My rear wheel wells fit nicely and seal the engine compartment from road splatter. They are held at the top by a tab and at the bottom by rivets to the fender at the rear and front of the wheel well. With bulb-seal along the outer edge, the aluminum seals against the fender without any other tabs or mounting hardware. Some guys have said they had lots of trouble fitting the rear wheel wells but I wonder if they had the right and left pieces reversed. I took this picture to show how to disconnect the upper tab of the wheel well after the bottom rivets are drilled out . . . instructions for me or the next owner years from now.
    rear - mounting at top.JPG
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted using the ear on the back panel to the chassis, the tabs on the back piece to the fender liner and rivited the tabs on the ends of the liner to the fiberglass body on the rear bumper and side sails. I don't have any pictures and the fenders are out due to new power unit being installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed mine in a similar manner to Pete, and mine fit great. The tab at the back is bolted through the fibreglass with rivnuts on the aluminum to make it easy to remove. Front is also bolted through the fibreglass with rivnuts on the aluminum. the bulb seal contacts the inside of the fender nicely all the way along. I added a removable bracket where the wheel well aluminum attaches to the frame above the tire.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    I installed mine in a similar manner to Pete, and mine fit great. The tab at the back is bolted through the fibreglass with rivnuts on the aluminum to make it easy to remove. Front is also bolted through the fibreglass with rivnuts on the aluminum. the bulb seal contacts the inside of the fender nicely all the way along. I added a removable bracket where the wheel well aluminum attaches to the frame above the tire.
    I used the mounting tabs from Zero Decibel Motorsports and found them to work well. http://zerodecibelmotorsports.com/pr...er-liner-tabs/ Similar rivnut attachments to bumper and side sail as described above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    These inner fenders were the very last thing I installed. I had to study many photos before I felt I had it right. The manual is weak on this point. I added 2" additional material on the rear of each fender where it mounts to the rear body panel. But that might be due to some other choices I made. Place the hoop inside of the bent tabs and position both in the car by hand. When comfortable with the relative position of each part, have someone outline the tab location with a marking pen on the inner fender (hoop). Now take these parts to your workbench and rivet + RTV them together. I used some aluminum sound deadening material (laying around from another project) to reduce any rock noise but more importantly to add some strength at the intersecting corner of these 2 pieces. Now you have a single inner fender. Carefully position it back in the car. Clamp the front and back in their final position. I used a scribe with a 90 degree bend to scratch out the location of the top mounting tab. Install a rivnut here and 2 or 3 more at the front and back. Scribe these locations into the fiberglass and drill out for the screws. I also had to trim about 3/8" from the back panel where is might rub on the coils. One side assembled as described. The other required that I bend up 2 additional tabs plus piggyback another layer of aluminum onto the top mounting tab. I believe the tabs were over stressed when bent at the factory. One broke right off and the others looked weak. First side was fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some updates! Adding weight but very solid and clean
    Clean seven months of forming and sanding the rears an now starting the fronts
    028EB4B0-1C68-47BF-BDAC-1930DAAAB82A.jpeg
    465D85EC-CFAC-4038-AF40-973F1A6E6114.jpeg
    F7CA8B56-4E89-4B7B-9D21-774CC0C6C46C.jpg
    Last edited by DMC7492; 05-21-2020 at 05:49 AM.

8. Likes Kurk818, grabera7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!
    Keep in mind that the rear tires may/will rub both the inner panel and radial panel on occasion. Sometimes pretty hard...
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019