Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fog light covers

Post Thanks / Like

Fog light covers

This was on my list of things to do before paint, and when Ron posted (on the other forum) his it was a good motivation to jump on mine as well.
    Thanks for sharing the tools you used Ron, as one Amazon order later the angle drill and stubby bits where here to get things started. In the meantime I had ordered the headlight cover brackets from FFR.
    I tried 4 tabs at first, but didn't like the look so went back to 3 as Ron did.
    Came out pretty good.

John

IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    Last edited by John Dol; 08-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Fog Lamp Covers

Hey John,
    Your fog lamp covers turned out great!
    What seal trim did you use and how did you cut the Lexan? I am guessing with a fine tooth band saw blade and then edge sanding to final shape.
    For my covers, using what I learned in solid geometry, I created a dxf file of the fog lamp ellipse and had an online vendor laser cut the covers.
    This might be of interest, the vendor I hired to cut the covers can supply acrylic in several different tints (i.e. Blue, Yellow, Green, Grey, etc.)

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0016.JPG

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron.

Thanks!
    My approach was a little more conventional. Used cardboard stock to make a template and transferred that to the lexan I bought at HD.
    Transferred the templates with a sharpie to the lexan, and used a bench grinder to trim it to size. Since the edges are covered by the seal it didn't have to look as pretty as the headlight covers.
    The seal I had still from "who knows what" and it worked perfectly. Just had to take some time to find it after 3 moves. It ended up being on my workbench of all places under a pile of crap. Which lead to a garage clean up before making these.
    Pretty happy with how they came out, and it's a custom touch not too many of these cars have.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Ron.

Thanks!
    My approach was a little more conventional. Used cardboard stock to make a template and transferred that to the lexan I bought at HD.
    Transferred the templates with a sharpie to the lexan, and used a bench grinder to trim it to size. Since the edges are covered by the seal it didn't have to look as pretty as the headlight covers.
    The seal I had still from "who knows what" and it worked perfectly. Just had to take some time to find it after 3 moves. It ended up being on my workbench of all places under a pile of crap. Which lead to a garage clean up before making these.
    Pretty happy with how they came out, and it's a custom touch not too many of these cars have.

John
    Thank you for the feedback. What thickness Lexan did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was 3/32

John