Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Missing steps or items in the manual

Post Thanks / Like

Missing steps or items in the manual

OK, I wanted to start another message here just to point out three things that I had to do but were not in the manual. I guess I need to ask if it will do any good... Will anyone ever update the manual?

Anyhow, here is what I have found so far. From what I understand there will be many more along the way.

#1. When installing the power steering motor the manual says to use the three bolts and that it will look like this.

In my case there was a cover and a bushing that was put onto the motor and then the bolts went though it and into the motor. I think it looks much better with the cover and so far it is not in the way of anything.

#2 When installing the cap on the master cylinder it does not tell you to put the O-Ring in the groove before putting on the cap.

#3 When installing the break light switch it shows it like this...

but my switch looks very different.

Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they now supply an upgraded switch that has a fail-safe in it, where you have to depress the brake to start the engine? They might not even be used in many builds, but merely an option if you want it.
    Other than the extra connectors, and the position of them, the switch should do the same job.

I know the manual supplied when I built my roadster, was considered a joke, by most builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit came with the same switches and if you look in the wiring harness instructions, you will see that the brake safety uses the two connecters closest to the pedal and the clutch safety uses the two connecters furthest from the pedal. I'm guessing it has to do with the signal that is being monitored for each function and the switches are capable of working both ways? I never put a continuity tester on them to see what the differences are.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing about those brake switches is they don't work that well. Read Edwardb's problem he had with his latest build. Happened to mine too. He found a similar switch that works much better. A lot easier to change them out now than after the car is finished and they aren't expensive. Ask sir Edwardb and I how we know.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    And then if you do things that are not in the manual and do them in a different pattern it does not make much sense!
    Adds to the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    And then if you do things that are not in the manual and do them in a different pattern it does not make much sense!
    Adds to the fun!
    ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I know the manual supplied when I built my roadster, was considered a joke, by most builders.
    Let me put that in perspective. We have a K1 Attack kit in our shop and the "manual" consists of a DVD with ~20 3-6 minute videos with no narration (the parent company is czech and so they don't speak english). There may be holes in the FFR manuals, but they could be much worse.
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug. I want that K1 LOL I built one of there Evoluziones years ago.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at toms 33 build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Doug. I want that K1 LOL I built one of there Evoluziones years ago.
    Mike
    The Evoluzione is the Camaro based kit, right? Significantly simpler to build than the K1 I bet. The K1 was the first kit we bought and we quickly decided to start with something a little more straightforward and better documented. That's when we bought our 818S.

It would be a fantastic little car. I see that they have options for using Honda's K series engines now (we bought a late 90s Prelude donor with the H22). I've got a 2002 RSX Type S with a K20A2. With 200HP and an 8K redline, it would be a riot in a K1.

The kit is currently stored up in our warehouse with the Prelude out back. I'd love to see it built, but it's unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Sorry for the hijack, back to regularly scheduled programming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    Adds to the fun!
    ???

He was saying that if you do any steps out of the manuals order that when you get to later steps nothing will make since because somethings are done in other parts of the manual.

Myself, I have hopped all around the manual and have not done anything in order. I just got to order the QA1 shocks (being delivered today) so I skipped that part and carried on with something else. I do at least read sections of the manual to overview what I am working on but nothing has jumped out and snagged me yet.

Tim Sapp
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017