• Tapered Stripes

43 84.31%
  • Don't care, or no stripes

5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: hood Stripe preferance, Straight parallel stripes or Tapered Stripes

Post Thanks / Like

hood Stripe preferance, Straight parallel stripes or Tapered Stripes

JUst wondering what the majority of owners on there like or have on their cars. There is a Template for the Tapered stripes I have attached. Also, what would be the ideal width of parallel stripes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I taper them so that they trick your eye into thinking they are parallel when viewed from the straight on. If they are truly parallel they will appear to get narrower at the far end.

I go about 6 3/4" at the radiator opening, 7 1/2" at the cockpit opening, 7" at the back of the cockpit then 6 1/2" where the trunk lid changes from horizontal to vertical and continue that straight down. One inch between them. At the oil cooler opening I generally keep it inside unless I'm doing the outer pinstripe in which case I run the wide stripe just to the outside edge then the narrow stripe beyond.

Jeff

fredfront.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are straight, it just looks wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    The MAN Jeff Miller said tapered. So that's what I did.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said!!

Tapered for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    That should be, 'THE JEFF's'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually this is a true story.

As we were finishing the paint and talking about the stripes I did say "What would Jeff Kleiner do?"
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should be tapered but not as much as in the diagram. As Jeff says, the idea is to make them look parallel. IMHO it doesn't take 7.5 inches at the dash going down to 6 inches at the top of the rad opening to accomplish that. I would cut that in half, staying at 6.75 at the rad opening and maybe even 7 inches. I wish I had spent a little more time w/ my painter years ago and specified less taper.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I taper them so that they trick your eye into thinking they are parallel when viewed from the straight on. If they are truly parallel they will appear to get narrower at the far end.

I go about 6 3/4" at the radiator opening, 7 1/2" at the cockpit opening, 7" at the back of the cockpit then 6 1/2" where the trunk lid changes from horizontal to vertical and continue that straight down. One inch between them. At the oil cooler opening I generally keep it inside unless I'm doing the outer pinstripe in which case I run the wide stripe just to the outside edge then the narrow stripe beyond.

Jeff

fredfront.jpg
    Jeff
    Please review this template, I want mylar stripes and perhaps with a 1/4 pinstripe along the sid eof the wider stripes, would 1/4 in away look ok.

please look and commentstripes template 2.jpg
    Last edited by mcwho; 10-17-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add pic
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    We polled 100 people....of those 100, 96 said they would like to be polled again !......my kind of crowd....da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually over taper mine for a more aggressive look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I actually over taper mine for a more aggressive look.
    Here's two that Da Bat did; his style looks awesome:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cgundermann; 10-18-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I like the stripes to be just a little wider than the oil cooler opening.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff

fredfront.jpg
    Jeff....what specific colors were used for this cobra?

Thanks,

Steve
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Jeff....what specific colors were used for this cobra?

Thanks,

Steve
    That one is Guardsman Blue and Wimbledon White. Here's another one I did recently in the same colors but with a black outline stripe for a little different look:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    x1,000 with Jeff kleiner. FFR used to have the proper taper dimensions on their web site. I followed their lead. I requested my painter include the 1/4" stripe on the edges. He missed that one and I wasn't about to have him re-do it.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Tapered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff...…… appreciate that sincerely. I found my colors!!!!! What brand of paint if I may ask? Paint codes if possible?

Black stripe is a definite too!!!
    Last edited by stevant; 10-25-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I look at tapered ones, they look tapered. So it looks strange. I don't see it as looking straight because of the taper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tapered . . .
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to know guys - i had no idea that most people tapered them. I was fooled into thinking the stripes were almost always parallel - just the visual effect the tapering is aiming for!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Thanks Jeff...…… appreciate that sincerely. I found my colors!!!!! What brand of paint if I may ask? Paint codes if possible?

Black stripe is a definite too!!!
    I use PPG products and recommend that the Guardsman be mixed in their Deltron line (Much "richer" in Deltron vs. Omni Plus/Shopline)

Guardsman: Ford #1622-A; OEM code F, D-F (PPG #12832)
    Wimbledon: Ford #1619-A; OEM code 9A, (PPG #8378)

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff K, I see in the first pic that the edges of the oil cooler are blue but on the later pic they are white. Was that customer preference or maybe a Mk3/4 difference? I wouldn't have noticed but for the mention of the edges in the other post. thanks, Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasNMe View Post
    Jeff K, I see in the first pic that the edges of the oil cooler are blue but on the later pic they are white. Was that customer preference or maybe a Mk3/4 difference? I wouldn't have noticed but for the mention of the edges in the other post. thanks, Jake
    Customers' choice.

Jeff