BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trailers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trailers

I am looking for suggestions on a trailer. If I plan to take my car to events across the country, I'll need a good reliable, and practical enclosed trailer. I am looking for one which is ready to use as I don't plan to build one, nor start with a flat bed and enclose it. Other than the FFR trailers, which may be a bit pricey and advertise what's in the trailer, there must be favorites out there.

Looking for ideas.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a carmate as they have a one piece roof instead of a bunch of pieces of aluminum silicone together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alv69 View Post
    I went with a carmate as they have a one piece roof instead of a bunch of pieces of aluminum silicone together.
    I will look them up. Thanks.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    16ft will work, 18ft is better. Floor pots for tie-downs, side walk-in door, a good strong rear door. Enclosed utility trailers are not the same as a enclosed car trailer, get the car trailer. weight is not a factor as a cobra replica is light. Trailers with lighter axels (5lug rims) could save a couple hundred bucks. 1/2Ton truck will pull no problem.....bigger trailer=bigger truck....always load car forward, get 4 8k tie-down ratchet straps (Jegs or Summit has them with integrated axel straps......and that's all I have to say about that...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me tell you about a couple of friends of mine. They had Serpent Express (what's the plural of Express anyway?) and "upgraded" to big box fully enclosed trailers. Know what? After about two seasons the big boxes are gone and they've both both gone back to the SEs.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Love our Serpent Express. We've used it to drag our Roadsters all over the Midwest, Canada, and to the east coast several times. It's also been a great utility trailer and helped with several moves including our own. We opted for the aluminum deck so it's light and easy to tow. The reasonable weight and low profile allows us to still get decent mileage with our Durango. I have the 14 footer, and in hindsight would suggest at least the 16 footer. Other than that, highly recommended. Larry Johnson will set you up.

Last edited by edwardb; 08-29-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I'v been using a SE trailer for years. Light, durable, easy to tow, less expensive than a full trailer. And no giant white box sitting in my back yard. In all the years I'v been using, no one has ever gotten in to it over night.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay,

I used to have a 20' enclosed Haulmark trailer - very nice, good quality, weatherproof, and lockable. But, everytime I went anywhere with it, it was like towing my house (or garage) behind me. Towed it with a full size Suburban and with the trailer empty, mileage on the truck fell from around 16 mpg to 10 and, with a car inside, 9 mpg. Can't beat one of those, though, for leaving precious cargo in a hotel parking lot.

But, I now have a Serpent Express (conversion to my steel trailer) and I happily tow it with a V6 Toyota and still get 15 mpg or so on the highway at 70 mph. It's not lockable, which is about the only downside.

You're welcome to drop by to check it out anytime and even give it a try towing if you'd like.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the trailer ideas...an aluminum unit by SE sounds like the ticket. I will begin my research and hopefully its under 8' tall so it can fit in my detached garage. But my loving wife just informed me, over coffee, that I will not be using her '17 Honda Pilot to trailer my Cobra. I didn't see that coming. And, I know my 2010 Subaru Outback ain't gonna cut it. This may becoming a rather expensive year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Let me tell you about a couple of friends of mine. They had Serpent Express (what's the plural of Express anyway?) and "upgraded" to big box fully enclosed trailers. Know what? After about two seasons the big boxes are gone and they've both both gone back to the SEs.

Jeff

Hey- You talkin' about me??

Guilty as charged. I had two Serpent Express trailers and changed to a big box, 16' foot box trailer. Kept it for a couple years, loved using it for a garage when it was here, but it was terrible for hauling and heavy. I have a Chevy Silverado 5.3 for hauling.

I had a Canyon 5.3 that I hauled the Serpent Express trailers with, one was steel , one was aluminum. That little pickup pulled both trailers with ease. I Never should have sold either one of them.

I now have a third trailer and a Serpent Express Cover waiting to be installed.

I can tell you from experience(expensive experience) the Serpent Express is the way to go.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay - Check out the pic at the bottom of this page on the Serpent Express website - shows one of their trailers in a garage....

http://www.serpentexpress.com/description.html
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Thanks for the trailer ideas...an aluminum unit by SE sounds like the ticket.
    Don't get too hung up on aluminum. It's rather expensive, but you really don't save a lot of weight on a flat bed. Only about 300 pounds or so. And it adds a lot of bulk. Considering how light a Cobra and an SE trailer is, it may not be worth it to you. But, they are less prone to corrosion - which is important if they salt the roads, or you live near the beach.

Also, there are some extras you'll want. Since you live in snow country, get the additional roof bracing. I really like the extra door in the front. On track days, it makes it really easy to move gear from the trailer to the back of the truck. Doors near the front tires on both sides are essential to the tie down. I don't use the doors near the rear tires often. But when you need them, they're a life saver.

One thing I wish Larry would do is make the stripes available in a reflector material. I like visibility at night. I added the DoT reflector tape around the edges.

If you park it outside, be sure buy a cover for it. The trailer will last a long time with a cover.

.boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    Don't get too hung up on aluminum. It's rather expensive, but you really don't save a lot of weight on a flat bed. Only about 300 pounds or so. And it adds a lot of bulk. Considering how light a Cobra and an SE trailer is, it may not be worth it to you. But, they are less prone to corrosion - which is important if they salt the roads, or you live near the beach.
    Good insight and advice...Thanks!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great suggestions and pics from you all. I'll give Larry a call and see how he'd set me up.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay - I second the suggestions on the extra doors / flaps, as well as the additional ceiling reinforcement tubing. I added the front flap (but covered it with a tongue box - oops), the two front wheel side flaps, and the additional reinforcements for the ceiling. I also had mine made without stripes and Larry agreed to leave off the large multi-colored logo from the side - although I did add a "Serpent Express" logo decal in small white lettering on the lower frame because I had so many people asking what type of trailer it is.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Thanks for the trailer ideas...an aluminum unit by SE sounds like the ticket. I will begin my research and hopefully its under 8' tall so it can fit in my detached garage. But my loving wife just informed me, over coffee, that I will not be using her '17 Honda Pilot to trailer my Cobra. I didn't see that coming. And, I know my 2010 Subaru Outback ain't gonna cut it. This may becoming a rather expensive year.
    When I bought mine, I too had visions of storing it in my garage. I had to let most of the air out of the tires to go under the standard garage door opening. Even though only a 14 footer, with the tongue it barely fit into my 20x20 garage. Plus it's really wide. Took up way too much space and was more trouble than it was worth to move it in and out. I had to come up with an alternative for storage, but it was worth it. I'm a big believer in the all aluminum deck. The weight savings is significant, and eliminates concerns about rust and corrosion. It's money well spent IMO.

Last edited by edwardb; 08-31-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.