FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: oil cooler sandwich plate questions

Post Thanks / Like

oil cooler sandwich plate questions

I have bought the pieces to install an oil cooler on my 818, I have the sandwich plate and I am currently running a 2.0L turbo with factory oil cooler sandwich plate. my question is

I was going to remove the factory cooler plate, and install my sandwich plate, I need to find out what filter bolt I need to install the filter/sandwich plate? will the stock one work? or does everyone leave the factory one on and just add and adapter?

also has anyone installed a check valve in the cooler hose to keep the cooler and hoses primed with oil after is shut down? I guess I am wondering if it will drain back and have to fill everytime the car is started

Thanks
    Last edited by Lumpyguy; 08-29-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to see it to be sure but generally the tube/nut/bolt thing that the factory oil cooler uses will remain in place, and be re-used with the aftermarket sandwich plate. The only time you need a longer or shorter bolt, to my knowledge, is if you have a later model EJ255/EJ257 where there is an angled adapter plate that sits between the cooler and the block. If you have that setup (like I did on my '07), you need to remove the angled plate and all it's hardware and add a much longer tube nut, plus an aftermarket oil cooler spacer, and then you add the oil cooler. That's the BRZ/FRS setup. Bottom line: All the hardware you have *should* be able to be re-used.

I had the same question about back-flow of oil through the hose but it's not a question. Only during the first start will you have a delay while the hoses prime. After that, the oil does not drain back. I get instant oil pressure on startup. So you don't have to worry about all that.

You might consider leaving the factory oil heat exchanger in place and adding the oil to air cooler, if possible. A friend of mine did this on his 818R and his oil temps stay very nice on a hot day, and he has a fairly small oil cooler in the side duct with NO ducting. I have a much larger cooler, no factory oil-water heat exchanger, yet my temps exceed 250 on a really hot day at the track. If you leave the factory exchanger in place, ensure the oil goes through that before it goes through your oil to air cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect than I have everything I need. Thanks

This install is on the list for this winter projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the oil filter nipple from an NA motor about $6 from the dealer if you Google search wrx oil cooler delete you should find several write ups and the part number.