Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: dimmer for dash lights if not using integrated module

Post Thanks / Like

dimmer for dash lights if not using integrated module

I am using MS3 for my ecm and did not the step function of dimming when used with integrated module so I found on Amazon a pulse width modulated dimmer that
    works well. Google "dimmer 12-24, 8 amps. Sold all over but I found for $2.66- pretty cheap and it gives a continuous range of dimming. See Utube video:

https://youtu.be/Zn1ZW3E8uJg

IMG_0338.JPG

I took pot which is 10K and remote mounted it in dash just like prod cars. You could also use the pot on the column stalk- same 10k but get step function.

I took video showing inside lamps to see dimming better. May take while for utube to process video.

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks good Frank.
    I don't have any lighting in my cluster at the moment.
    I believe I have to find the right wire to ground it and it will light up. Someone detailed this in another thread that I have to re-find.
    I'm not sure what an MS3 ECM is..... so not sure if you method would work for me.

I am using a dieted 02 harness and deleted the IM as well, so would I run the pot and dimmer to the ground wire, or which wire? Which wires are you hooking to on the cluster?

thanks for the help, I like the idea of a dimmer rather than full light all the time.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    This looks good Frank.
    I don't have any lighting in my cluster at the moment.
    I believe I have to find the right wire to ground it and it will light up. Someone detailed this in another thread that I have to re-find.
    I'm not sure what an MS3 ECM is..... so not sure if you method would work for me.

I am using a dieted 02 harness and deleted the IM as well, so would I run the pot and dimmer to the ground wire, or which wire? Which wires are you hooking to on the cluster?

thanks for the help, I like the idea of a dimmer rather than full light all the time.
    Ms3 is Microsquirt ecm. Both the IM and dimmer work by pulsing the ground side off and on to dim, called pulse width modulation.
    The dimmer box from Amazon has a 4 wire terminal strip. 2 wires in with are connected to chassis ground and 12 v supply ( dome lt fuse in my case). The other 2 are the dimmer output.

Dash A8, violet, connects to dimmer plus output and A9, OrW, connects to dimmer minus. Also connect B29, red, to dimmer minus.

The pot to adjust is mounted in the box but easy to unsolder and extend wires so the box can be remotely mounted with small pot on dash to adjust.
    Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vthats perfect. Thx
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015