FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your shoulder harness?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use your shoulder harness?

So it's a nice night out. No rain. Moon is out. Took the Cobra out for a drive. Heading south on 41 in the village of Punta Gorda doing 30mph. Light traffic. Green lights as far as you can see. This <insert expletive> pulling a boat blows a red light to cross in front of me. I lock up all four wheels and about wet myself. I'm not quite through the intersection stopped and the light is still green. I'm now waving my arms in the air pointing at the bright green light in my face asking him not so politely what he is doing as he backs up. Also it seems that people like to ride right up on my rear license plate. These cars are light and stop fairly quick. If I need to stop quick, the tailgaters bumper is in my back.

So this got me thinking. I have generally just strapped the waist belt on and go, not hooking in the shoulder straps. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm playing Russian Roulette in a car with little protection.

I'm curious if you folks generally use your shoulder harness. I will be from now on.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I not only use the shoulder straps, I've installed the 5th point (anti-submarine belt.) It keeps the lap belt at the pelvic region where it belongs, and also helps to keep you from sliding out from under the belt.

If I take the car onto public streets, it's all attached. I've seen enough injury due to collisions to last me a couple of life times.

Here is a short video (child seat, but you'll get the idea.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vglpF7LZs

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 08-30-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray. I'll need to research the 5th point but going forward, I'm hooking in the shoulder straps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine not using all 5 points of attachment. Why would you only use your lap belt. It cant possibly be that you are in that much of a hurry. Then there's the loose shoulder harnesses banging around.

I gotta say, I actually enjoy strapping in. I feel like I'm driving a race car. Oh yeah, I am driving a race car.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the time. I don't even think twice about not using them. I make my passengers wear them too.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I use all 5 points, all the time. I wish my daily driver had them..

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely! If it rolls over, that's what will stop you from ending up under the roll bar!

I use that time while strapping in to remind myself that I am not in a cage, not in a safe little haven, and must drive like I used to ride my motorcycle. I remind myself to be cool, and that that car will try to kill me. Then, I start my little prayer before I fire it up. This centers myself and brings forth the importance nice of the task at hand.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    All 5 all the time. A friend recently had a relatively low speed fender bender in his roadster when someone blew a stop sign. Neither her nor the passenger were using the shoulder belts and got bumped up a bit---could have been much worse had there been more speed involved.

This question comes up regularly and I always quote my dear friend John Phillips when it does "I looked around the cockpit and didn't see anything I wanted to hit myself in the face with."

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Put me down as 5 points all the time as well. And I demand it from my passengers as well. No exceptions.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a good idea to were shoulder belts w/o a crotch belt. Problem is that, as you body moves forward, the shoulder belts will pull the lap belt upward. The lap belt is supposed to be keeping your hips in position. When it rides upward it will be pulling on your intestines, kidneys etc, instead of your hips.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to run my first FFR without the crotch belt. I was convinced by an instructor at a track session to install it once he saw how the lap belt was riding up on me.

It's a night & day difference in how effective the belts are with the crotch belt installed.

Sure, we'll read about a guy in their cobra wrecking the car because they weren't being smart, but most of the time, we all drive safely because we know we have the safety of driving a 4 wheeled motorcycle. It's usually some other jerk who winds up nailing us.

Don't run the car without all 5 points on the belt connected...it's not worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    5 point on 100% of the time.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input. Really appreciate it. I only have 4 points, so I need to research adding the sub belt to both seats. On a personal note, most of my back is fused. I basically bend at the waist and my neck is ok. Simply put, I don't slouch, I literally can't, but I understand in an accident your body does things it's not supposed to do. I understand CraigS' point about wearing the shoulder straps without the sub belt, but I can't help thinking that is what's going to keep me in the car should the unthinkable happen. Either way, it looks like adding a sub/crotch belt is a priority for my safety and my passengers.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said in post #8 "I looked around the cockpit and didn't see anything I wanted to hit myself in the face with."

Goes right along with "If I disrespect it, it will kill me". Thoughts that I say in my head every time I get out on the Hiways of America.
    Drive for everyone else around you, they are more-than-likely distracted anyway (read: cell phone, Big Mac, passengers, a Cobra right next to them . . . ).
    Be careful out there!
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend got his teeth knocked out against the steering wheel using just a lap belt. I also have high back seats as I believe in protecting my neck.

Post Thanks / Like
    All 5, all the time in the car.
    Funny thing...my plane has 5 point harnesses. Per regulations and company procedure we only have to wear the shoulder harnesses for takeoff and landing. Most guys flip the shoulder harnesses off pretty much immediately after takeoff. I used to do that but now that I have spent so much time wearing them in the Cobra I am so used to them I find myself keeping them on the entire flight for the shorter flights. Still take them off at cruising altitude on the longer ones. I guess it is like my security blanket now. haha

I do believe a 4 point system doesn't protect you nearly as well. Get that 5th point for sure!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I not only use the shoulder straps, I've installed the 5th point (anti-submarine belt.) It keeps the lap belt at the pelvic region where it belongs, and also helps to keep you from sliding out from under the belt.

Ray
    Ray, did you add the sub belt to your 4 point? If so, I may ping you for more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember who. But a member of the other forum and his wife both got facial injuries by just wearing lap belts.

All 5 all the time.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    All 5, all the time in the car.
    Funny thing...my plane has 5 point harnesses.
    Get that 5th point for sure!
    If A Commercial Pilot Uses Them Every Day That He Goes To Work Then So Should We!
    Make note that it doesn't matter what we are flying, even if it is on four wheels.
    Thanks, War Eagle Scott, Thanks!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche325 Not good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    All 5 all the time. A friend recently had a relatively low speed fender bender in his roadster when someone blew a stop sign. Neither her nor the passenger were using the shoulder belts and got bumped up a bit---could have been much worse had there been more speed involved.

This question comes up regularly and I always quote my dear friend John Phillips when it does "I looked around the cockpit and didn't see anything I wanted to hit myself in the face with."

Jeff

FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my seat belt/harness every time I drive/ride in any vehicle.

When I was 18, I wrecked my car at about 35 MPH and I kissed the steering wheel. I found out very quickly that you are not strong enough to stop yourself from hitting the wheel, dash etc in a crash.

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    All 5 saved me. Hit the wall at about 80 MPH on a drag strip, rolled twice and hit the opposite wall. Even lost my helmet on impact (long story), The roll bar and 5 point did their job and I only suffered a few bruises. -- Chuck

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes to all 5 for me as well. Same as most posting already.
    Just a small addition to this conversation - regarding tailgating. I too found that some like to ride close. As all of you know, our cars sit low. If we need to stop quickly, I found that many seemed to not see my brake lights. I followed AdamC 's creative suggestion to use a plasma rod for a third brake light. It is COMPLETELY worth the $$! It took only minutes to connect. I attached suction cups to mine-- for quick removal if needed, but I've found that I drive with it on 24/7. If anyone is interested in pictures or where I found mine, PM me and I can send you the details. It makes a HUGE difference in being noticed while in traffic.
    CraigF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Sloggett View Post
    All 5 saved me. Hit the wall at about 80 MPH on a drag strip, rolled twice and hit the opposite wall. Even lost my helmet on impact (long story), The roll bar and 5 point did their job and I only suffered a few bruises. -- Chuck
    So glad you were not injured more than that!
    I broke both hands, was paralysied temporarily, broke my pelvis and messed up my Achilles on my left foot and suffered nerve damage in a motorcycle accident. We can swap stories.
    I am getting the message loud and clear. All 5 all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Absolutely! If it rolls over, that's what will stop you from ending up under the roll bar!

I use that time while strapping in to remind myself that I am not in a cage, not in a safe little haven, and must drive like I used to ride my motorcycle. I remind myself to be cool, and that that car will try to kill me. Then, I start my little prayer before I fire it up. This centers myself and brings forth the importance nice of the task at hand.
    Good advice. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here......A5ATT.
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have any of you done a good seat mod for the submarine belt? Running over the front of the seat is not the ideal solution, but better than nothing. I know in the race car that would not be acceptable. Just read a good article on seat belts, HANS devices and the proper way they all should be mounted. There are a lot of misunderstandings out there. Probably not as much of an issue for the true daily driver, but since these are very capable machines, something to think about. They also talked about the amount of counterfeit safety equipment out there with F.A.I & SFI stickers out there. If the price is to good be true, it probably isn't.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    There's only one belt on the market that I'm aware of that is safe on the street as 4 point: Schroth ASM (Anti-submarining system)

If you don't have the 5th belt installed then don't run the shoulder harnesses. It's safer to run just the lap belts vs. 4 points and having the belts pull up and do damage to your internal organs in the event of a crash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    Jeff,

Great advice. I just received my temporary plate in the mail so I will be doing some serious driving today. It's a little cool but the skies are clear. I spent yesterday installing the lap, shoulder and submarine belts. I had to show my wife and she was impressed, but, she asked if all that was necessary. I shared your quote from John Phillips and she got the picture. Thanks.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a ticket in California for not wearing my shoulder harness in my Jeep. I replaced the stock seat belts with a Simpson harness because too much sand dunes mucked up the retractor mechanism. Anyway, California law states 'Passenger Restraint System'. Got a ticket even though I was still wearing my lap belt when the cop pulled me over. Another cop friend told me I couldn't fight it.

If you got it, use it!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    There's only one belt on the market that I'm aware of that is safe on the street as 4 point: Schroth ASM (Anti-submarining system)

If you don't have the 5th belt installed then don't run the shoulder harnesses. It's safer to run just the lap belts vs. 4 points and having the belts pull up and do damage to your internal organs in the event of a crash.

Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    All 5 - Both seats - 100%

Post Thanks / Like
    What have people done to the 33 seats to use the 5th belt? Will have head pad built into roll cage.
    As in hole in seat for belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to this thread, I just went out and installed the 5th belt in both seats. You guys are lifesavers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmustang View Post
    You guys are lifesavers!
    Well hopefully not literally! Glad you have them now though.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmustang View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I just went out and installed the 5th belt in both seats. You guys are lifesavers!
    Before this thread a sub/crotch/5th whatever belt wasn't even a thought. Now I see the importance. In my very short time of FFR Cobra ownership, I am amazed at the knowledge within this community and the willingness to help folks like me that know nothing. That includes the supporting vendors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gen 2 coupe and there is a little welded in reinforcement plate under the seat. I drilled a half inch hole in it and bolted in the 5th belt. It's as simple as it gets.

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

Wow!
    X2. Thanks for the video. Even more obvious of the importance of all 5

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud K View Post
    I got a ticket in California for not wearing my shoulder harness in my Jeep. I replaced the stock seat belts with a Simpson harness because too much sand dunes mucked up the retractor mechanism. Anyway, California law states 'Passenger Restraint System'. Got a ticket even though I was still wearing my lap belt when the cop pulled me over. Another cop friend told me I couldn't fight it.

If you got it, use it!
    He's right. The "restraint system" is required to be worn as designed. This includes placing the shoulder belt portion of the 3-way belt (standard in all vehicles) under the arm. It only takes seeing the collision injuries caused by improper seat belt usage to see why.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast