Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use your shoulder harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    after reading this forum I went out and put the anti sub belt in my car and will use them all from now on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    He's right. The "restraint system" is required to be worn as designed. This includes placing the shoulder belt portion of the 3-way belt (standard in all vehicles) under the arm. It only takes seeing the collision injuries caused by improper seat belt usage to see why.

Ray
    The shoulder belt should never be placed under the arm. It goes over the shoulder, between the neck and arm.

http://imminet.com/wp-content/upload...Rev2_lores.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there an anti submarine belt available that can be added to the F5R harness (the one that comes with the Mk4 kit)?
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Is there an anti submarine belt available that can be added to the F5R harness (the one that comes with the Mk4 kit)?
    Rick
    It's in the box with the rest of the belts from Simpson.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you got the answer you were looking for.
    My answer is the same....hell yes, 5 point harness at all times. Wouldn't dream of leaving the garage without being fully buckled up.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Just have to throw my 2 cents in as I drove for many months with just the 4pt harness (I always wear the shoulder harness). I finally got around to adding the submarine belt. Wow! What a difference. I can't believe how far up the lap belt would come when fully tightened with just 4pts. The submarine belt locks everything where it is supposed to go. The best part is that it is more comfortable than ever, and I feel safer.

But, don't let anybody fool you, putting it all on is now slightly more of a pain because you have to push it all together real tight to get all three tangs in. And, first time passengers will make you frustrated because they struggle with it. But the rewards are worth it.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    5 point all the time!!!! Why? I was T-boned in my MK3!!!!! Wear them ALL THE TIME gents!
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a seasoned expert and have no horror stories to share. I can share that for the whole 345 miles I have driven so far (I know, not much) I wear the 5 point harness all the time.

Personally, I think it is COOL!!! Looks bada** in my opinion. But that is just me.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    But, don't let anybody fool you, putting it all on is now slightly more of a pain because you have to push it all together real tight to get all three tangs in. And, first time passengers will make you frustrated because they struggle with it. But the rewards are worth it.
    You shouldn't have to fight them..I loosen all my belts when I first climb in, (other than the anti-sub belt), buckle them all up, then re-tighten them. To loosen them, pull up on the little white Simpson tabs, while pulling the buckle ends of the belts out. Before a passenger gets in I loosen their belts, to make it a bit eeasier, but I know what you mean, as even then it takes them a bit to understand how they buckle together..

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    But please remember to release the parking brake FIRST!!!! Otherwise, you have to unbuckle, release the brake and buckle up again. Apparently I'm a slow learner as I still forget sometimes and it's been 16 years.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    But please remember to release the parking brake FIRST!!!! Otherwise, you have to unbuckle, release the brake and buckle up again. Apparently I'm a slow learner as I still forget sometimes and it's been 16 years. Ray
    Good advice Ray..I have had the problem of climbing in, getting all strapped down, and then realizing the ignition key is still in my jeans pocket. It is near impossible to dig them out without considerable effort, to the point that it's easier to get back out of the car and retrieve them..

Post Thanks / Like
    ALL 5 ALL The TIME! A lady turned her F150 in front of me and I went from 40ish to 0 in about 15 feet and rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Only injury was bruised knuckles that hit the dash. (And a broken heart as my FFR MKII was totaled)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that about your car. Glad you weren't seriously injured.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wear all 5 all the time. I loosen the left waist belt and both shoulder belts before I unhook it. It is much easier to loosen them when they are all still connected. It is easy to put them back together when I get back in the car and I tighten the left waist belt and then both shoulder when I get back in. It is the quickest way I have found.
    Aaron

Holley 650 DP / Performer RPM Intake / Twisted Wedge Heads / 347 ci / TKO500 / 3.73 rear gears

Post Thanks / Like
    But please remember to release the parking brake FIRST!!!! Otherwise, you have to unbuckle, release the brake and buckle up again. Apparently I'm a slow learner as I still forget sometimes and it's been 16 years.

Ray
    That is the reason I put a Lokar e-brake on the top of the transmission tunnel. Took some engineering, but don't have to unbuckle to set/release the parking brake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12