Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TKO 500 oil leak question

Post Thanks / Like

TKO 500 oil leak question

I have 3000 miles on my coyote with a trimec TKO 500 attached to a QuickTime bell housing. The past 2000 miles I have noticed after a long drive a couple drops of oil on the garage floor coming from the transmission bell housing mounting point. If I wipe the spot off the floor after the car cools down it can sit for weeks without dripping again. I checked the fuild level and top vent all good. The car is all complete and ready for Jeff Kleiner to paint soon as I gets ready for me. My question is should I pull the engine and replace the Transmission front seal if that is even the leak source or just live with two drops of oil after each drive. Jeff if you are reading what would you do??
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine leaked just like yours. The source was the front guide/bearing support. This takes a specific Anaerobic sealant. I would have lived with it but my engine had to come out for an unrelated problem. Leak is fixed and so is the engine.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-50ml-.../dp/B000FONONG

I am away from home for a week. If no one chimes in I will post procedure and sealant type when I get back.
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 09-01-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the front guide/bearing support and the leak will probably get worse with age. I would fix it now even if the engine has to come out. I can pull my TKO600 from below after removing the mid-shift from above but I made the tunnel top sheet metal removable and have a lift to get the car off the floor.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure it is the trans. Realizing yours is a Coyote, still nearly every leak on an old school sbf ends up dripping from the engine block plate. Maybe add some die to the trans oil to confirm.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    die was added, it is coming the bell housing transmission joint. the transmission from the drip to the back is spotless

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious... Was the bell housing alignment checked and in spec? Could that be the cause?
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is leaking too. It has from day one. Apparently, a common issue with Tremec. I have read that they can leak from the front seal, a disk with an o-ring on the front, or even between the case sections.

I need to clean mine up, strap some paper towels to it, run it and see were it is leaking.