Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory Five vs. Backdraft

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five vs. Backdraft

Now before everyone rolls their eyes and sighs out of exasperation, this is not a "Which is better" thread. I own a Factory Five and am very happy with a car I built and did not buy, as the FFR advertisement says. A guy at work happens to have a Backdraft. A very pretty car. We have gotten to know each other and we have jokingly said we are part of our own little cobra club. He happened to drive his car to work, the same day I did. I thought it was cool and was excited to see the two side by side. I figured some of you might find this interesting.

The body had some obvious differences but overall stance and size, they were about the same. Here are some pictures of the two. Sorry the lighting is not very good.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool !

Post Thanks / Like
    How come you let him get the end space? That black SUV might destroy your paint work! haha
    Cool pics.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    That is very cool. Imagine it's a bit loud in there when you both start them up. BD's are very nice as are ERA's and Superperformance. The thing that is awesome about FFR is the building on your own and the company, fantastic people and community.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Love the pics and having them sit side by side really shows the differences in the body lines.
    I do totally agree with KDubU that there is something totally awesome about building your own car.

PS: The Factory Five MK-4 really does look a lot more period correct compared to the Back Draft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my Mk4 parked with a BDR on a cruise in Tallahassee last year. Several of my friends have them and they are very nice cars. BDR is about 20 min from my house and I've been there several times, and Reg and his team are great people and true car guys, they don't care what make you drive.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Backdraft is a nice car. I am not a Cobra expert and not that familiar with all the differences between the makes out there. I thought the body style differences were interesting. There are probably more than I noticed but here are the ones I saw:

- The driver side door doesn't align as well as the passenger. Maybe just an issue with this BDR but interesting as I thought this was just a FFR issue.
    - The gap around the rear wheels looks about the same to me. This never really bothered me but some have pointed it out as an area they wish were different.
    - The BDR has more "rake" on the nose. Not a bad look, just different.
    - The radiator opening on the FFR is larger. I would not have noticed this if they were side by side. I like the larger opening better but that is just my opinion. Oh, I might be a little biased.
    - The rear on the BDR sits a little higher. At least that is what it looks like to me. In all fairness, our ride heights might be the majority of this difference.

Pretty fun to compare.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Good to see yours on the road!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Both look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. How many car alarms did you guys set off in the garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the guys in our local Cobra club has a BD. It's nice. Biggest thing I noticed was the additional legroom and the wider foot box. Maybe it's because of the 92" wheelbase instead of the FFR 90".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue MK3 View Post
    One of the guys in our local Cobra club has a BD. It's nice. Biggest thing I noticed was the additional legroom and the wider foot box. Maybe it's because of the 92" wheelbase instead of the FFR 90".
    You've never sat in my roadster. Sheet metal, seat, wheel and pedal adjustment make a huge difference in these cars. I can't even sit in a BDR or Superformance.

The BDR is very nice.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back Draft roll bar is lower and wider. I saw BDR at a show when they were first starting company and liked it but went with Build your own.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    And the Factory Five(s) wins . . .

Two guys that I hang with on Saturday morning Cars & Coffee meets have owned, and now sold, their Backdrafts. Only guys left are the Factory Five guys . . . Whoo-Hoo!
    We win for stubbornness - we refuse to get rid of what always brings a smile to our faces. Maybe it's because we built it . . .

Doc

FWIW, BD's run on a BMW suspension format and are 2" longer in wheelbase and about the same in width - great if you are 6' plus inches.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.