Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rotor rust

Post Thanks / Like

Question rotor rust

what can I spray on rotors to stop them from rusting while my car is layed up for the winter ? any help is neded thank you the deerhunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you spray on there must be removed. I would leave them alone. First stop will remove any rust.
    Mike

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The minor rust build-up you see in storage should not affect the breaks and as Mike said, will be wiped off after the first stop. Leave em alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Venison master-

Just to add my experience. In the South, we have some significant humidity. As a result, my rotors have rusted fairly significantly. While it certainly looks troubling, I plan on leaving them as they sit, knowing that the rust will get knocked off fairly easily as I get her on the road.

As Mike Everson said, anything you might use to clean the rotors would need to be removed, or could dramatically impact your brake pads, which is a risk you don't really want to take.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never done this, so it may not work as I suggest, but I bet it would help a bunch. Get some bags of desiccant and put them in some large trash bags and bag all 4 corners. My guess is the reduced moving (moist) air alone will help keep oxidation at bay, and the desiccant will help even more. Shouldnt be too bad to jack a corner and slip a bag around.

Depending where your car is stored, a de-humidifier might help as well. You wont be able to stop it all, but you can probably keep it from getting overly oxidized.

This corrosion bothers me too, and I think causes brake problems if it is aggressive enough. I have seen it accumulate to a greater extent around the brake pads, and then these areas pulse as they rotate through pads when in use. Of course, this is with cars parked outside in the elements, so no surprise.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in snow country where there is salt on the road and get rusty rotors every season just letting it set a couple days. Don't sweat the little bit of rust on the rotors it won't hurt a thing. A more serious problem with long-term storage is rust on the cylinder walls and for that I recommend foggy oil applied through the spark plug holes. Trailers, airplanes, heavy equipment all have a tendency to set inactive for long periods of time and nobody ever worries about a little bit of rust on the discs or drums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drilled and slotted rotors from Wildwood come with a powder coat like finish that helps maintain their good looks. Any rush on contact surfaces disappears by the first stop sign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbag.com - I have them for a couple of cars that are stored each winter (not my FFR - it stays inside a trailer) and they are awesome. Basically large sleeping bags for the cars with zippers on three sides. Unzip, drive on, put a soft cover on the car, then pull the top over and zip shut. The bags come with a bunch of very large desicant pouches and there is literally no rust on anything when they come out of these in the spring.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074