Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk4 IRS and Undercar Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 IRS and Undercar Exhaust

Has anyone built a Mk4 with the new IRS, and installed under car exhaust?

If so, how did you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice build! VERY nice!

I was hoping to see a rear exit system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working on designing mine right now. I'm using oval pipe and low profile spintech mufflers. I expect I'll put the exit just in front of the rear tires as there just doesn't seem to be any route through the irs, gas tank, trunk area. It would take a lot of careful bends and fairly small pipe to get to a rear exit.
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    I'm working on designing mine right now. I'm using oval pipe and low profile spintech mufflers. I expect I'll put the exit just in front of the rear tires as there just doesn't seem to be any route through the irs, gas tank, trunk area. It would take a lot of careful bends and fairly small pipe to get to a rear exit.
    That is what I am afraid of.

I know it's possible with a solid axle. But I definitely want (or need, based on our bad roads here in the DR) IRS.

I'd love to see detailed pics when you're done. What motor/headers do you plan on using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, while designing your undercar, you may want to incorporate some of these bell mouth joints. This is what a lot of DD cars use.
    http://kinromindustries.en.gasgoo.co...s/1111757.html
    The bolts have shoulders on them so they get fully tightened but the spring is what is holding the pipes together. Summit has these but you would need to get your own springs and longer bolts and use double nuts so they don't come loose.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...BoCdDQQAvD_BwE
    These type joints will allow the engine to move while the rest of the system is pretty stationary.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a photo of mine after I built it. I have the old style IRS, so I don't know what obstacles are there now. I also used spin tech mufflers and came straight back, just used 45's to come in toward the center at the LCA's, then straight back. I did incorporate short section of flex due to some odd angles. I've put 10,000 miles on it, no issues

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice work you did.