Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Street/Track Day Tire Selection

Post Thanks / Like

Street/Track Day Tire Selection

Four years ago, I completed my build and installed a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-760 Sports. The fronts are 245/45 R17's and the backs are 275/40 R17's. After 1,000's of highway miles, many HPDE road course events, and a couple of Autocross events, it's time to start thinking about replacement. I have been happy with the Bridgestones, especially the quiet comfortable ride on the highway and predictable performance at the track. My skill level at the track has improved (slightly) and I would like a replacement tire that gives me good highway performance while allowing a little more aggressive driving at the track. Any ideas?
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've run a variety of tires for street - dry & rain and track. 275/40-17 and 315or335/35-17. In the sizes you mentioned you'll have a wider variety of brands and models. All run on my Superformance cars. I've also run GS-D3s on my Audi S4 in 225/45-17.

Goodyear GS-D3
    https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...BBCardTireName
    Easily my favorite, ran two sets of these. Great dry and the best wet tires I've ever run. Did very well on the track too.

Sumitomo HTRZ
    http://www.sumitomotire.com/cars/products/HTR/htrz.aspx
    Cheap but decent tires. Good all around, OK on the track but not great.

Vredestein Ultrac-Sessanta
    http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/...sessanta/info/
    I liked these, good wet/dry and track but not as good as the GS-D3 or PS2. A lot less expensive.

Michelin PS2
    http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...sport-ps2.html
    Probably the best dry and on the track. I judge a lot by wet performance (not smart enough to come out of the rain) and the PS2s are good but not as good as the GS-D3s although you can run 90 in the rain, puddles are a little dicey. Ran these home from Colorado in the rain a few years ago. Probably the most expensive of the list.

I was at Gingerman in South Haven, MI last weekend for a Chump Car race. The teams seemed to like Hankook RS4 but ran Rivals and Direzzas. Not all will offer sizes appropriate for your needs.

Hankook Ventus RS4
    http://www.hankooktire.com/us/passen...-rs4-z232.html
    These seemed to be the most popular. Rules require a street tire with a 200 treadwear rating.

BFG Rival

Dunlop Direzza

While dual purpose tires seem to be the least expensive way to go there are many good reason for dedicated track tires. Performance, wear and not tearing up your street tires among a few.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Toyo R-888's mounted on my MK3...... 1.5 yrs, ago.... have about 4,000 miles on them.... street/freeway use only....can really hook up my 408w 530 hp 535 lbls. 3:73's.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=Proxes+R888
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    The current hot tires in autocross street tire classes are bridgestone RE71R and BFG RivalS. There is something about a RivalS 1.5 being available in some sizes also. The word from my friends running these is the RE71Rs are better in the spring and fall while the Rivals are better on the hot summer days.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all. You have given me recommendations I can work with. I have considered dedicated track tires, but a couple thousand dollars for a set of tires and wheels is hard for me to justify for only 4 or 5 track days a year. Thanks again.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had Kumho Ecsta XS on my Daytona and loved them. Street and track. They are no longer available in large sizes so went with Nitto NT-05 on my Challenge Car and am quite happy with them.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoosier R7's for me. About 15-18 or so heat cycles (20m sessions) and they are cooked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    I had Kumho Ecsta XS on my Daytona and loved them. Street and track. They are no longer available in large sizes so went with Nitto NT-05 on my Challenge Car and am quite happy with them.

Garry
    What tire pressures do you run on the NT-05's?

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    24 psi on all.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Hoosier R7's for me. About 15-18 or so heat cycles (20m sessions) and they are cooked.
    Uh, the subject was street AND track day tires.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a completely stock 2017 Mustang GT with performance pack running Bridgestone RE71R. He is consistently setting fastest time of day at autocross. Whipping up on the Miatas, BRZs, and a supercharged track-only Lotus. They only go up to 255 in 17 inch.....bummer.

I am using Nitto NT-05 for street and autocross, they replaced Khumo ecsta XS. I think the Nittos are the same or just a tiny bit better. Very happy with them.
    I would love to do NT-01s, but they wouldn't last long enough (100 tread wear) to keep me married.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run NT-01s but they are definitely more track than street---even says so on the sidewalls; "recommended for competition use only".

Jeff