Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone have race deck garage flooring?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have race deck garage flooring?

Thinking about installing in my garage.
    Any opinions on it?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Scott-

I don't have racedeck personally, but my buddy does and I got to tell ya, I'm thinking about it for my own garage. Really is a nice installation. Especially if your garage floor is in bad condition as his was. Spills and such just wipe up. He has a two car garage attached and we installed the flooring in less than a day. He has the "circle trac" product and "accu park". We installed this system fall 2016 and it looks as good now as the day it went in.

diamond deck is the way I would go but that's just me.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have it. Pros are it is easy to install and looks great! Cons are it can get dirty and can melt if anything hot drops on it. Like from welding. Also it changes size with temperature so make sure you have room for it to expand or contract. Here is a photo of it in my shop.

IMG_1791.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Racedeck in my garage at our last house. I pulled it up when we moved and in the next couple weeks will be putting it back down at our new place. Along with a few new tiles because I have a little more space plus to replace some that I cut for the previous installation. I liked it a lot and highly recommend it. At first I was really careful about how I treated it, what I rolled on it, etc. But after awhile decided it was pretty tough and really didn't do anything special. Just worked on it. I don't weld so that's not a problem for me. If you drop something real heavy on it (like a center section, ask me how I know...) it will dent. But it's easy enough to pop out a tile and snap a new one in. I bought a few extras for spares for just that reason. I also followed a hint I saw to put cushioning underneath it. Apparently it will squeak a little when you walk on it if you don't. I used Polyethylene Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric from Home Depot (another hint I saw) which is cheap and seemed to do the job.

In my other garage, we also parked our daily driver on it. In my design, I had their free flow tiles under the four tire locations so it could drain the inevitable Michigan ice and snow. Worked OK, and the residue from that cleaned off the Racedeck just fine at the end of each season. But I won't be using the free flow tiles in my new garage. The creeper doesn't roll over them as easily and they're hard on your knees. Plus I won't be parking the DD on the Racedeck at our new place. I'm only putting it on two of the four bays in my man space.

Follow their directions for installation, and leave space for expansion as already mentioned. The only minor complaint I had was my garage door faced south at our other house, so with the door open the hot sun caused the outside border of tiles to buckle up a little. I don't think it was anything I did. I had the required spacing on the sides. Saw a couple reports of others who had the same thing happen. But it's not a big deal. They went right back down if I closed the door and the tile cooled off.

Bottom line it looks great, is a decent value compared to other options, can be put over just about any condition floor, and is much more comfortable to work on and keep clean than bare concrete. Just plain made the garage a more pleasant place to work.

The Garage Journal forum talks a lot about Racedeck plus other options. Good resource if you haven't looked there. Also if you mention you are a Garage Journal forum member when you order Racedeck, they will give you a discount and free shipping. Not a bad deal.

I don't have any great pictures of the Racedeck installation at the other garage. But this picture shows the engine going into #8674. Rolling the shop crane and wheel dollies on it just fine.

Last edited by edwardb; 09-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good information Paul. Thank you for always offering detailed explainations! CraigF

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it in our garage. It's been a bit shy of 4 years and IMHO has held up real well despite zero care and maintenance. There are a few damaged tiles from my '66 Mustang having a bit of wheel spin inside the garage (don't ask...). I haven't replaced those yet and honestly they don't stand out all that much.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Here's a pic:

DSC00821.jpg
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed mine in 2006. It took me about eight hours from start to finish. Last year for the first time I really washed it and used an acrylic product like race deck's Restore product.

At over ten years old it still gets lots of compliments. At a recent neighborhood yard sale it seemed more people were interested in my garage floor than what we were trying to sell.

The best thing for me is that when I move, I can take it with me.

If I could figure out how to upload a picture, I would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the positive feedback everybody. I have submitted a design and am waiting for an estimate.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

You better be matching your car's colors on that floor! If you are going custom, why not go all the way, right?

I always thought the products like Racedeck really finish off the garage space. If I ever have a garage worthy of such a finish, I will get it too.

I hope it works out, and I look forward to the pictures.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a big fan of garage floor covering. I am old school and like the black and white checkered look. I lookd at the web site for this stuff and saw no prices. Is it that expensive that they have to hide prices?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    I am a big fan of garage floor covering. I am old school and like the black and white checkered look. I lookd at the web site for this stuff and saw no prices. Is it that expensive that they have to hide prices?
    I think it is in the 3-4 dollars per square foot range.

My floor had a two part epoxy finish that lasted well. It was literally wearing off the floor from my daily driver's tires. The cost to prep the floor (remove the current finish) and then have a new coating put down was more than the cost of the race deck. Plus race deck goes down in a day and you can take it with you.

So yes, you might think the price is high, but you can shop around at a number of on-line retailers. The life of the product, the fact you can easily replace a damaged tile (not that I have had one in over ten years), and the ability to take it with you if you ever move made this a no-brained for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Scott-

You better be matching your car's colors on that floor! If you are going custom, why not go all the way, right?

I always thought the products like Racedeck really finish off the garage space. If I ever have a garage worthy of such a finish, I will get it too.

I hope it works out, and I look forward to the pictures.

Regards,

Steve
    I'm have come up with a custom design. There is gray to match my Cobra and a couple other colors that will complement the blue lift and a new toy I have ordered from Germany 😀

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed it today and am really pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flooring looks great Scott; very nice design!

So, where do you keep your tools? Kitchen drawer maybe? HA! I look forward to seeing everything when everything is put back together.

Did the race deck go down easily? Thanks for the pictures.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    There is something wrong with this garage, it's just too clean. It looks like you should have a sofa and a big screen to watch the foot ball game.
    But that floor is beautiful and it would be a shame to cover it up with tools and stuff.

As with all the other things you've posted here nice job.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, love the design!
    Mike, FFR 4263 MKII, Red/Silver, 331 and Loads of FUN!!!!
    Maybe I will Update this for the new forum....