Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Dads first ride

Post Thanks / Like

My Dads first ride

After 5 years of building my 85 year old dad got a ride. He has been suffering from advance stages of Parkinson's disease. He can't walk without help but after a lot of work got him in for a ride, he couldn't stop smiling. It's looking like it was is first ride and maybe last ride but it was special for all.
    Dan

IMG_4750.jpegIMG_4747.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy you had the chance! My Dad was 88 when he passed last February, and loved every chance he had to go for a spin! I treasure those times! Go for all the rides you can!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very cool. I'm glad you were able to give him a ride. My father was gone long before I started my project, but I know he would have enjoyed it. You have to take advantage of every minute you can!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely memories you will cherish forever!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations & I'm Sure You Were As Thrilled As He Was!

No Matter What His Age He Is Still Your Dad & You His Little Boy!

Congratulations To The Two Of You For Making This Journey Called Life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the blessing of having your dad to share your joy with. I lost mine when I was 43. Miss him every day. We were working on my 37 Chev Pickup when he passed. It's sat untouched for 24 years. I hope to resume work on it this fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    He looks like a proud pops. My dad passed away 7 weeks ago with a good run till age 94. I couldn't quite get it finished for him to see, but boy he sure would have smiled. He never would have been able to sit in it but he still would have enjoyed it. Enjoy.

Could you share where you sourced the front grill mesh...looks like something I'd like to do.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad passed 4 years ago. I also have a heavily modified 72 Corvette that he enjoyed riding in on many occasions. I always told him someday I would own a Cobra. He always said that would be a dream car. Well this summer he obviously could not ride in it but I took my 85 year old mom out in it and she was thrilled. I still have some of his ashes, maybe someday I'll scatter some on the car and let them blow off while rowing through the gears. Glad to see your dad got the chance to ride in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! He sure looks pleased, doesn't he?

I am happy that you were able to take this ride together!

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures; very touching.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    He looked like he was enjoying every minute of it. I'm sure you were too! It's always great to hear stories like this about enjoying the little things in life that we somehow take for granted. You'll look back one day and remember it with a smile on your face again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, That's Great, I am sure those spins around the block will last as wonderfull memories for a long long time. That's great that you both got to share.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome! Wish my Dad was still around and I could do the same. We were to build the roadster together but he passed suddenly and my dream was put on the back burner. I would frame one of the pics as these type of memories are what makes life great.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the comments, it was worth the effort to help him get in and out of the car. The only bad part is when we got back and he told my mom we hit 135 MPH.. thankfully i am to old to get my car taken away,, Jay about he Grill, brake vents and side vents, I made the grill, side vents and brake vents out if 5/16 iron rod, i drilled holes in a 1 inch by 1/8 thick metal plate then tig weld a small spot on the rod below and to then inside to secure the rod to the plate, all then was chromed. I'm on a week long Harley trip in Colorado will send you picture when i get back..
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    That is wonderful! Great memories.

PS: I like the front end grill cover. Where can I get it?

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so awesome. I'm sure that special moment will be placed in the memory banks forever.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dad died when I was 10 from lung cancer. He was a mechanic and car enthusiast. I never got to even talk cars as an adult with him, and often imagine what he'd think of some of the projects and parts I've done/made. It's almost like I can hear him talking. He'd probably be whipping my arse for having two Mustangs parked in the driveway! (He was die-hard GM and didn't let people park Fords in his driveway) I'd give anything to have a picture of my dad riding while I drove. Enjoy every minute, you're both lucky guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    When i was young my dad and I constantly fought when doing projects. Now that I am older I realize that was just his way. I lost my Dad 15 years ago and I am sure he would have been thrilled with the outcome of my car. I sure would like to give him a ride today. I think that is why if you want to build a car or whatever it is in life, you should find a way because life is too short to miss out. I drive around with my 14 year old son all the time and I am glad I have the opportunity to spend time with him. Hopefully he will remember these moments all his life and realize if you put your mind to it you can do amazing things, even like building a car!