Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Alignment

With the steering wheel in the correct position, the wheels are slightly out. If I align the wheels the steering wheel is off by 90 degrees? Can this be corrected when the car has an alignment? I tried repositioning the coupling on the steering rack but it only fits one way...IMG_0941.JPG
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a matter of adjusting the tie rods; one side in and the other out equally so as to move the steering wheel and not change the toe. The alignment shop will correct this small alignment issue but make sure to remind them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my alignment process.

1) Center the steering rack with the steering column shaft disconnected (see FFR manual for instructions on how to do this)
    2) Connect the steering column shaft with the steering wheel centered.
    3) With the suspension under full compression of as-driving weight - meaning that you have to compensate for the weight of the body, windshield, etc... if the car is still unassembled, use a couple of heavy duty garbage bags under the front tires with a small amount of motor oil between them to allow the steering to turn freely.
    4) Use string tied to jackstands (two per side of car) to do the toe measurements - place a stand a few feet in front of and behind the car and connect with string - since I have a solid axle car with three-link rear that I already made sure is square with the chassis, I was able to use the rear tires as the reference point for squareness.
    5) Use a bubble-level type of caster/camber gauge to set those adjustments on the front wheels.

This resulted in a perfectly centered steering wheel and no drift - i.e., a "hands-off" car. My car has never been on an alignment rack and the tire wear on my 50 tread-wear rated Avon CR6ZZ tires has been very minimal over 9,100 miles.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074