Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  101
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158 (Index in Post #1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Yama-Bro,

I have about 540 in my 427 and it's fine. All depends on the configuration and tune. You just need to training your right foot. There really are few times that you can use it all, but it sure is fun when you can. (professional driver on a closed course and all that happy stuff).

Jim
    It's all about training that foot.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Sorry for the delay Bro, didn't see the question earlier. I have the 427W with the FAST XFI Street, throttle body injection, single 4 barrel (not sure what it is called in EFI language but there are 4 BIG holes in it!) 509.8 HP 510.9 TQ. The TBI looks very much like a carburetor so I keep more of the old school look. The guys on your test stand said it was one of the top 5 best sounding motors they have tested! Can't wait to hear it myself. Have you made your motor decision yet?
    I like the old school look too. I haven't picked mine out yet. Bouncing between the 306, 347, and the 427. I have plenty time to make my mind up.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my Black Friday progress report...The front brakes are finally installed...

I had a few hold ups on this side. It didn't go as smooth as the passenger side. First off, one of the rotor hat bolts was too short, so I had to get a replacement from Wilwood. No biggie. 2nd obstacle: None of the bolts on the rotor hat had optimal alignment for the safety wire routing, so that made it a little more difficult. It seems like if they were all just turned another 45 degrees they would be perfect. I didn't want to under or over torque them to get the alignment, so I worked with it the way they were. I did them all in .040" wire first, like I did on the passenger side. I wasn't happy with the way they came out, so I cut them off and re did in .030" wire. I ended up not liking that either. I tried one more time in .030". I still didn't like that. The .030 has a lot more flex and it's easier to work with, but after doing the passenger side with .040", I couldn't step down to .030. The .040 is so rigid once it's twisted, It just seems like it would do it's job a lot better. So, I cut those off and did it one more time with .040". The fouth time was the charm on this one. The final issue I ran up against was the rotor not seating on the hub properly. It must've been some variance in the hub's stud hole spacing causing interference. I posted here and got some direction. I had to enlarge the stud holes in the rotor slightly to get it to seat correctly. It's all good now.

The driver's side safety wire. I'm not as happy with this side as the other, but it's gonna have to do.

Driver's side brake installed

The backside...

Both brakes...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    The temptation was to great not to mount the wheels...

I'm planning on doing the steering next...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy thanksgiving. Nothing like working in the garage on a day off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! And same to you! I wish I had a few more weeks of vacation to spend on the car.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Yama-Bro! I had lunch in Kearney today on my way back home from my daughter's where we spent Thanksgiving.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Hey there Yama-Bro! I had lunch in Kearney today on my way back home from my daughter's where we spent Thanksgiving.
    Awesome! Where did you eat?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Awesome! Where did you eat?
    We ate at Perkins; didn't feel like eating fast food. Your build is coming along nicely. I hope to overcome my electrical issues and get back on track soon.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the old school look too. I haven't picked mine out yet. Bouncing between the 306, 347, and the 427. I have plenty time to make my mind up.
    I have to steer you towards tje 347. Great power in a compact package and you will have more tjan 450hp at your eight foot. It makes more power than the original ac cobra made in most models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I have to steer you towards tje 347. Great power in a compact package and you will have more tjan 450hp at your eight foot. It makes more power than the original ac cobra made in most models.
    Yep, that one is being considered for all those reasons. I'll have to make up my mind at some point.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    We ate at Perkins; didn't feel like eating fast food. Your build is coming along nicely. I hope to overcome my electrical issues and get back on track soon.

Dave
    Thanks. I've been anxiously awaiting your first start.

Since you've mentioned coming thru Kearney a few times, I thought I'd share my list of great local restaurants, if you are coming thru again and don't mind venturing a little farther into town...

Flippin Sweet Pizza - Unbelievably good pizza. Made the Zagat 50 states 50 pizzerias list. They are a little slow, so if you are pressed for time don't stop here.
    Thunderhead Brewery - Great Pizza and Beer - can't pass up the Thunderpie pizza.
    Luke and Jake's BBQ - Great BBQ, that's quick. The giant stuffed potatoes are the best, in fact it's the only thing I've ordered there for 20 years.
    Flippin Sweet Burger Joint - Great burgers, same owners as the pizza joint but a different location, right up 2nd ave.
    Little Mexico - This is a local Tex Mex that has been around forever, they are super fast and their chips and salsa are second to none.

And while you are at it, you might as well stop by and give me some pointers on my car. LOL
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 11-27-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that one is being considered for all those reasons. I'll have to make up my mind at some point.
    I must have been drinking when I wrote that. Sorry. Hey I just wanted to let you know that I had my engine dyno tuned. With accessories, stock ffr exhaust, and on break in oil, the car made 475 horsepower and 440 torque. I cant believe the power this combo was able to make. With your knowledge of engines and blueprint at you figertips you could get one of their 347's throw a Trick flow 224/232 cam in it (if your compression is up for it) and easily make 450.

I drove bobl car yesterday and he has a similar 347 with 500 hp at the top of the range. I didn't even have to get to the 500 hp and I was blown away by the experience. It was like light speed as my eyes jiggled in my head and I could see there was so much pull on that car.

My point and btw I hope you are doing well, its been a few days... my point is that I feel you will have a small mighty power plant in the 347.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    I must have been drinking when I wrote that. Sorry. Hey I just wanted to let you know that I had my engine dyno tuned. With accessories, stock ffr exhaust, and on break in oil, the car made 475 horsepower and 440 torque. I cant believe the power this combo was able to make. With your knowledge of engines and blueprint at you figertips you could get one of their 347's throw a Trick flow 224/232 cam in it (if your compression is up for it) and easily make 450.

I drove bobl car yesterday and he has a similar 347 with 500 hp at the top of the range. I didn't even have to get to the 500 hp and I was blown away by the experience. It was like light speed as my eyes jiggled in my head and I could see there was so much pull on that car.

My point and btw I hope you are doing well, its been a few days... my point is that I feel you will have a small mighty power plant in the 347.

Brandon
    Awesome, Thanks for the update on your dyno run. I'll get over and read your post next. I'm definitely giving the 347 some serious consideration. The Blueprint engines tend to run on the conservative side of power, since we offer a 30 month/50,000 mile warranty and they all run on pump gas. But...that doesn't mean I have to do have my engine...
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    We made more baby steps this weekend. We installed the driver's side footbox front panel, the steering tie rods, steering shafts/bearings and temporarily installed the steering wheel.

Since we have the complete kit we needed to swap out the donor driver's side footbox front panel for the complete kit panel that was shipped in one of the boxes. Since the donor panel has all the holes drilled in it to locate the mating footbox panels, we sacrificed the donor panel by flattening it's tabs so we could accurately transfer the holes from it to the complete kit panel.

Once flattened, we aligned the edges, clamped, and marked the holes for drilling. After doing it the way we did, I think it would have been easier, and maybe more accurate, just to drill when the two panels were clamped together.

My youngest son temporarily attaching the panel for rivet location marking...

It's a fact...kids love Clecos...

**Edit** After installing the pedal box, I discovered the three rivets in the center of the panel interfere with the pedal box bracket. If you are drilling holes for rivets, don't do the same mistake I did. The rivets I am referring to are the three directly above the lower frame tube taped with green tape in this picture.

My oldest going to town giving the panel a brushed look...

The panel installed and riveted. I'm loving the way these brushed panels look. I can't wait to see the whole engine bay done like this.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    The tie rods installed. This is something I wasn't sure about. I centered the rack to the steering wheel using Papa's method (See post #68) and double checked by counting the turns of the steering wheel (like FFR's build video...here). I lined the wheels up straight by eyeballing, then assembled the tie rods to the steering arms. After assembly, there's only about .75" thread engagement on the passenger side and 1.00" on the driver's side. Is this enough? Seems like there should be more. Do I need to get some sort of extension? Note: the tie rod nuts are not tightened in this picture.

The lower steering shaft where it mates to the rack (pre tightening of the set screws)

Where the shaft enters the foot box (also pre tightening of the bolts)

Wyatt fastening the bearing to the frame...

A video of us testing the steering after all the fasteners were snugged up. This was a pretty big moment for us.

To finish this step, we need to Loctite the set screws, torque the fasteners, and do whatever is needed to get the proper thread engagement on the tie rods. After that we are starting on the rear axle rebuild. I'm not really looking forward to that too much. In fact, it made me think how glad I am that I didn't go the whole donor route. I'm just not excited about cleaning old rusty greasy parts. But this should save me a few hundred bucks so it'll be worth it.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-17-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a second look at the Tie-rod End, I don't think the Nylock nut is correct fastener for that location. I think you should have a Castle nut and cotter pin there.

Love the action shot with the kids. memories that will last them a life time.
    Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Take a second look at the Tie-rod End, I don't think the Nylock nut is correct fastener for that location. I think you should have a Castle nut and cotter pin there.

Love the action shot with the kids. memories that will last them a life time.
    Chris AKA Gromit
    Thanks Gromit! I also had some doubts about the nyloc lock nut, especially since the manual shows a castle nut and the kit comes with cotter pins. So I did some research on the forum and found that nyloc nuts are another acceptable way to fasten the tie rod ends. You just have to make sure they are torqued properly. Who knew!? Thanks for bringing it up though.

Here's a link to a thread about the castle nut vs nyloc nuts. Here. It also talks about the same concerns I have with thread engagement. It looks like I'm going to need the extenders.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 12-04-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected, Guess I haven't been crawling around under new cars... I still would not be happy with that setup, unless I saw threads going all the way through the nut. the plastic part is what locks it. not having a couple of threads from the stud sticking through would bother me.

Chris AKA Gromit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    I stand corrected, Guess I haven't been crawling around under new cars... I still would not be happy with that setup, unless I saw threads going all the way through the nut. the plastic part is what locks it. not having a couple of threads from the stud sticking through would bother me.

Chris AKA Gromit.
    It's not tightened down in the picture. After I tightened it, there are about .25" of threads past the nut. I'll note that above, so it's not confusing.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a request for drawings of my extra storage capacity body buck...so here they are. Keep in mind, this buck isn't necessary unless you want to store a bunch of stuff on the shelf. For storing just the body and a few other things, the typical body buck design is perfectly fine. I had to get all my parts in the space of a one car garage, so my wife could still park her car in her stall of our two car garage. This is my solution. I have a lot of stuff on my shelf. I kept the really heavy stuff on the floor, but I managed to get a lot of the boxes that came with the complete kit on the shelf. As of this post, I've been using the buck for about two months with no serious issues. I used 4 swiveling casters on mine. It is a little squirrely when being pushed, so for that reason I feel using two swiveling casters and two stationary casters may be a good upgrade. I used 5" 300lb capacity casters from Menards. An upgrade to 6" higher capacity casters would be a good upgrade as well, if you have enough height in your garage door opening. Enjoy!

Last edited by Yama-Bro; 12-07-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gromit! I also had some doubts about the nyloc lock nut, especially since the manual shows a castle nut and the kit comes with cotter pins. So I did some research on the forum and found that nyloc nuts are another acceptable way to fasten the tie rod ends. You just have to make sure they are torqued properly. Who knew!? Thanks for bringing it up though.

Here's a link to a thread about the castle nut vs nyloc nuts. Here. It also talks about the same concerns I have with thread engagement. It looks like I'm going to need the extenders.
    Hi Yama-Bro.

I was in the same pickle. Wasn't sure if those are the correct nuts. After reading the manual it mentioned that it could be either or. So I had to make sure the torque is right.
    btw, your boys are pretty engaged! Mine thinks the car is some sort of climber or toy to beat the heck out of it!
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    btw, your boys are pretty engaged! Mine thinks the car is some sort of climber or toy to beat the heck out of it!
    Haha, kids ....Mine may be a bit older than yours. That probably makes a big difference. My kids' interest in the build vary from day to day. Sometimes they want to work on the car, other times they are more interested in riding their scooters and hover boards around the garage or fighting with each other. I'm just thankful for the times that they are engaged in the project and for the time we are spending together. I don't mind working on it myself, so it works either way for me (although I'd rather do it with them). I am impressed with Wyatt, my 7 year old. I expected him to loose interest quickly, but he really gets into it when he's in the project mode. Its a good feeling when we come home after work and school and he asks "when are we gonna work on it again, Dad?". My older son, Cody, is 13. I've been building things with him for years. I'd say he has a high mechanical ability for his age. He can be a huge help on some of the tasks. Good times!
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 12-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Yama-Bro,

You are making good progress!! It must both all those helpers. Can't get my 15 year old son to find any interest other than asking me "Whats That?" as he's working his way through the garage into the fridge.

I will keep checking in as you are just ahead enough of me to check on for any hiccups along the way. Great work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjamesellis View Post
    Hi Yama-Bro,

You are making good progress!! It must both all those helpers. Can't get my 15 year old son to find any interest other than asking me "Whats That?" as he's working his way through the garage into the fridge.

I will keep checking in as you are just ahead enough of me to check on for any hiccups along the way. Great work!
    Maybe your son will get more interested as the car starts to take shape. Thanks for keeping an eye on me! I know I need it.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all caught up, good reading!! WHEN I get my kit I'll be going same route as you, ol'school race car!! Keep it up!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Great read. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    I'm all caught up, good reading!! WHEN I get my kit I'll be going same route as you, ol'school race car!! Keep it up!
    Higgy
    Quote Originally Posted by SliderJack View Post
    Great read. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Guys! Glad I can help someone out. There's a good chance you'll catch up to me with your build, I'm not the fastest.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read the whole thing! I love the kids helping out (my 4.5 year old is the same way, always helping turn wrenches)

I see alot of crossover to my drag racing Chassis experience! we'll have to catch up next time i'm in town! I'll go ahead and get a work order for a 427 started lol

Johnny M
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    Just read the whole thing! I love the kids helping out (my 4.5 year old is the same way, always helping turn wrenches)

I see alot of crossover to my drag racing Chassis experience! we'll have to catch up next time i'm in town! I'll go ahead and get a work order for a 427 started lol

Johnny M
    Thanks Johnny! Go ahead and get that 427 started...then I'll figure out a way to make sure you are my secret Santa at the company Christmas party.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank-

It's been great following you along. I love seeing the boys in the garage working with you! I promise that the memory of the times you shared in the garage will last forever -- for each of you! Great stuff!!

One question though... what is with the Washington DC football team gear on one of your boys? There are teams far closer to you than that...

I look forward to following the rest of the way; keep up the great work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Frank-

It's been great following you along. I love seeing the boys in the garage working with you! I promise that the memory of the times you shared in the garage will last forever -- for each of you! Great stuff!!

One question though... what is with the Washington DC football team gear on one of your boys? There are teams far closer to you than that...

I look forward to following the rest of the way; keep up the great work!

Regards,

Steve
    HAHAHA...Washington Redskins. I'll tell my son you asked about his favorite team. You are right, there are definitely professional teams that are closer, but that's the team he chose to follow several years ago. I think it all started when he was watching a game on TV with a friend and they each choose a team to cheer on. My son got the Redskins and it stuck, the rest is history. LOL. I'm probably partially to blame for his selection, because I don't get into football (or any traditional sport for that matter), so I didn't steer him elsewhere. He really catches a lot of crap for being a Redskins fan, but I think he enjoys the harassment.

Thanks for the comments!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I read a thread where you were asking about 8.8 rear ends, did you figure out what you were using? Donor, new?
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    I read a thread where you were asking about 8.8 rear ends, did you figure out what you were using? Donor, new?
    Higgy
    Hi Higgy, I am going the donor route. I picked up an axle from an '89 Mustang GT for $150. I have been working on it for the last two weekends. I'm planning on posting once I finish rebuilding it. I'm basically cleaning it up, gutting it, and replacing all the insides with new. It should be a lot cheaper than buying a new axle. Are you going with a straight axle?
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 12-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am, have my eye on a donor as well. An 87-93 with disc and five lug all ready. The guy also has a set of SN95 front spindles to boot!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post

Johnny M
    Hey Johnny - you can get a 427 ready for me! In all seriousness - Kit ships in March and will be looking for something in late summer or Fall 2018. Question - can Blue Print help set up a Hydraulic Throw Out bearing in the 427 and TKO600 build? I'd like to get the right one installed from the get go by you guys. Dan Golub at FFR gave me some names out that there might help with this. Best to call them? Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Hey Johnny - you can get a 427 ready for me! In all seriousness - Kit ships in March and will be looking for something in late summer or Fall 2018. Question - can Blue Print help set up a Hydraulic Throw Out bearing in the 427 and TKO600 build? I'd like to get the right one installed from the get go by you guys. Dan Golub at FFR gave me some names out that there might help with this. Best to call them? Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve,

Glad to set you up! We can in fact switch to a hydraulic throw-out if you want. Trans will still come assembled and installed on the engine as usual for our factory five kits. Its a $400 upgrade vs the cost of the regular TOB. I'd just have to set it up at time of order. my email is [email protected]. feel free to hit me up any time.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's so awesome seeing kids involved in a build like this. My middle daughter (7 years old) doesn't even know I have the car coming yet, but I know she'll want to be involved in every aspect of the build. Unfortunately my son is going to be too young to turn wrenches (he'll turn 2 right before the car gets here) but I can already see myself fighting to get him out of the car.

Seriously cool build. Keep the family involved and keep the pics coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    I built my Coupe with my son too, or maybe he built it with me. Consider torque striping the fasteners that you have completely installed, even with great helpers it is nice to know what is done. Nice job safety-wiring the rotors too.
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys! I'll keep the pictures coming. Once it warms up a little, I'll be back in the garage. I had the whole week off between Christmas and New Years and planned to work on the car as much as possible. When I went into the garage, the day after Christmas, it was 12 degrees outside. I turned on the heater. It ran for four or five hours and the garage only warmed up to about 40 degrees. I decided I didn't want to work on the car that bad and shut off the heater and went back in the house to stay warm with the kids. There will be warmer days and I'm in no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by GSides9 View Post
    Consider torque striping the fasteners that you have completely installed, even with great helpers it is nice to know what is done. Nice job safety-wiring the rotors too.
    I have been doing a red paint marker on all the bolt heads that I torque with a torque wrench. Some of the pictures above are still in the loose state, therefore no marking. That's a great tip though. Another thing I have been doing; I have a notebook where I write down small tasks that I need to come back and complete. Some of it's easy to forget, so with this list I'll be sure to get everything (as long as I think of it in the first place )
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 01-05-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Serial #9158

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast