Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 97 Cobra Engine Questions

Post Thanks / Like

97 Cobra Engine Questions

I do not know a lot about engines and have some questions regarding where certain connections get attached and what some outlets are and go on my 97 Cobra engine. I have attached three pictures and was wondering if anyone with more knowledge than me can help out.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (921.3 KB, 1274 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (834.6 KB, 352 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (954.2 KB, 705 views)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 98 Cobra which is essentially the same. I can't upload pics until the weekend but quickly...the first is a vacuum connection. It hooks up to the diaphragm directly in front of it. The other intake connection hooks up to the top of the valve cover. You are missing the PCV valve that goes on the valve cover and then to the intake. The third connects to the water temp sensor on the coolant crossover tube just beside it. The sensor is on the down tube driver side portion of crossover tube. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    That does. If you could upload some pictures it would really help. Thanks for helping out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe, also I don't have either of these connections. Do you know names and where they can be purchased?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I have attached the pics you need. Basically you just need some hose/tube and a PVC valve. All the pieces you see are OEM. If you go to a junk yard you can find these pieces or similar. The little blue tube I pulled from the heater / AC unit. There were originally 3 holes in the triangular rubber piece but I filled two with silicone as they are no longer needed. You can see that I have installed an oil catch can. If you are not installing one just connect the valve cover and intake directly.Engine.jpgEngine 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe, First I ordered to PCV valves. In you first picture (drivers side) I get it. I am not using an oil catch can so the PCV valves goes straight to the manifold, correct? In picture 2 I am little confused. I would think that I would attach the PCV valve straight to the manifold as well like on the DS side? You show the manifold outlet getting attached to the metal gold colored round thing (Diaphragm) in front of it? Two questions, where does the PCV valve get hooked to on the passenger side and what is the other connection that you show in your picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is only one PVC valve on the driver's side. It connects to the intake manifold. The valve cover hole on the passenger side hooks up to the air filter intake assembly. I need to send you a couple more pics to illustrate but can't do that until this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    your the best! Appreciate the help and time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a couple of pics to help out. The locations where you see blue tape have not been connected up. I have install a couple of elbows in the air intake tube to connect up to the blue tape ends you see. I apologize the photos show up upside down even after I rotate them.

Engine 3.JPGEngine 4.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    1.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I go the drivers side and understand how and where to connect the PCV valve with out an oil catch. The PS is still confusing me. I have attached a picture which I hopes explain my question. First, upper left of picture you showed me that these two pieces are connected. What connects them, what is it called? Second, on PS I have circled where the PCV valve is inserted in to the valve cover. where does that get connected to? Regarding your pictures they straightened out as soon as I saved a copy. Thanks again for the help and I hope I am not driving you nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (936.2 KB, 254 views)

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the diaphragm is a regulator of some sort. The little blue line I have connecting the diaphragm to the manifold is a small tube drawing vacuum into the diaphragm. I scavenged the tube from the heater/ AC box inside the donor. On the valve cover, if you look closely in my pictures, you will see a black u-shaped tube with some blue tape on the end. This will be connected to the air intake tube. My air intake is custom made tubing but I have not drilled it yet and installed an elbow to connect to the U-shaped tube. Hopefully, this is a bit clearer. It is hard figuring these things out when you are missing parts and this stuff is not shown in any manuals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your help! Its greatly appreciated and definitely gets me on the correct track.

Post Thanks / Like

Air intake

Quote Originally Posted by Joecobr View Post
    Here's a couple of pics to help out. The locations where you see blue tape have not been connected up. I have install a couple of elbows in the air intake tube to connect up to the blue tape ends you see. I apologize the photos show up upside down even after I rotate them.

Engine 3.JPGEngine 4.JPG
    Great photos; they are going to helped I have a '99 SVT engine in the stalled Mk3 project I acquired.

Got a vendor and part number for your air intake? Another view showing the air filter too?

Thanks in advance,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

I am away on business at the moment and need to return home to reduce the size of the photos before I can send them to you. It may be early next week before I send them. I purchased the bits and pieces from Summit Racing. The polished aluminum tube is 4" dia, 30 degree angle. I had to shorten it to fit. The oval to round coupling, the 4" to 3" dia coupling and the aluminum tube are Spectre Performance items. The aluminum elbow I used and the air filter mounting flange were left over cold air intake pieces from my donor. I fabricated a mounting bracket to secure the filter end to the lower 3/4 chassis tube near the passenger foot box. The filter essentially sits over top the foot box. I have yet to drill holes in the polished tube to install elbows for the valve cover connection, etc.
    Last edited by Joecobr; 09-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any further information would be great! Not sure if it matters, but my engine is the DOHC.

Thanks again!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered deleting the PCV?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to jump in this conversation as the top pf the intake oval to round hits to top of my hood. 4.6L DHOC. I have not found a solution ~@#$%! Does yours hit too?
    eng.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dpariso,

Mine does not contact the hood. I have quarter inch spacers on the motor mounts. I also have the ********** grommets on the front body mounts. I also installed aluminum tubes inside these grommets so that the mounting bolts fit like a sleeve. I believe this raises the body including the hood a touch more. I am away on business so cannot send photos until next week.

Joe
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since your PCV is on the drivers side, you can also use a push in breather for the passenger side instead of connecting to the intake tube. All that maters is you get a clean air going into the engine on the passenger side. The regulator on the fuel rail corrects the fuel pressure based on engine vaccuum, that's why you need a hose connecting it to the intake after the throttle body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either does mine