Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Florida Title question......

Post Thanks / Like

Florida Title question......

I called the local DMV/tax collector, their telling I have to carry to Deland for inspection (2.5 hours) and return with paper work to DMV. I have read here (older Post) that was a one trip visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Inspection of what? There's plenty of info on these sites about getting a title in Fl. I'm Port Orange if you want to talk. But my first car, I walked in, showed them the certificate of origin from FFR, paid my taxes and the car was titled. One month later when in and got my tag. Easy. In Florida these cars get titled as a '65 FFR Roadster. They only have to meet emissions and safety standards from 1965. The person you spoke to probably does not know the difference between a kit and a replica. Yes, a kit has to meet the standards of the vehicle being modified. A replica does not. If you want shoot me a PM with your number and I'll call you.

You can also read this thread from the other site. It's what I followed and made everything painless.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...0rd-legal.html
    Last edited by jlfernan; 09-06-2017 at 01:10 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local DMV does not title kit cars. in Fl. I have titled 8 of them . You must go to the local regional motorist services office. Fill out paperwork and then you get an inspection lasts about 10 minutes and then you get titles as the year of the replica. the 818 and GTM get titles the year on the COO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Local DMV does not title kit cars. in Fl. I have titled 8 of them . You must go to the local regional motorist services office. Fill out paperwork and then you get an inspection lasts about 10 minutes and then you get titles as the year of the replica. the 818 and GTM get titles the year on the COO.
    I'll admit it's been a while since I titled my last car, but what do they inspect? I did everything at a local tag agency in Hialeah, FL when I still lived down there. They never even saw my car!
    Last edited by jlfernan; 09-06-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Florida, a FFR is NOT a kit car. Don't even say that term. It is a replica. No inspection. Just a paperwork exercise.

Look on the other forum. There are complete instructions. You even want to print out the instructions that the DMV person follows. They will thank you.
    Read this thread http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...d-legal-4.html

Here is what I posted there when I did mine:

I just went this morning to the Tax Collectors office on Atlantic Blvd. In and out in less than 45 minutes with an antique plate in hand and 1965 title on the way!!!

I had the following paperwork:
    Certificate of Origin
    HSMV 82040 "application for a title"
    Florida instructions TL-48 "Application for certificate of Title for a replica motor vehicle"
    FFR invoice.
    Proof of insurance.
    Printout of FFR "completed vehicle specs" from the MKIV brochure. They used this to get the weight. I actually put 2150 on the form. The brochure says 2250, but they used 2150.

I had the Florida form TL-06 "mandatory use designations and brands on Florida certificates of title with me, but it was not needed. There was no "kit car" vs replica discussion at all.

Good luck! I think the record is 20 minutes.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately in FL title work for these cars is different depending on your area. I get mine done in Ocala and never have any issues as long as I have all the needed paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    In Florida, a FFR is NOT a kit car. Don't even say that term. It is a replica. No inspection. Just a paperwork exercise.

Look on the other forum. There are complete instructions. You even want to print out the instructions that the DMV person follows. They will thank you.
    Read this thread http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...d-legal-4.html

Here is what I posted there when I did mine:

I just went this morning to the Tax Collectors office on Atlantic Blvd. In and out in less than 45 minutes with an antique plate in hand and 1965 title on the way!!!

I had the following paperwork:
    Certificate of Origin
    HSMV 82040 "application for a title"
    Florida instructions TL-48 "Application for certificate of Title for a replica motor vehicle"
    FFR invoice.
    Proof of insurance.
    Printout of FFR "completed vehicle specs" from the MKIV brochure. They used this to get the weight. I actually put 2150 on the form. The brochure says 2250, but they used 2150.

I had the Florida form TL-06 "mandatory use designations and brands on Florida certificates of title with me, but it was not needed. There was no "kit car" vs replica discussion at all.

Good luck! I think the record is 20 minutes.
    when I look at the application, it ask for "customer number" "unit & fleet number ", then ask for ID/VIN, make , model etc. Should I take it in and let them fill or fill what I can. I'm looking to go thru "under the radar" ! any assist would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by jlfernan; 09-07-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, do not call and ask them, I DID MINE AT THE tag agency in Sanford after driving to Lakeland. In Lakeland they had no clue, tried to tell me it was a kit car and gave me a number. There is absolutely NO INSPECTION required. I got my title tag and registration before I had put one bolt together.

Call me if you need help w this

727 459 8527

I am in Volusia county

where are you located ???
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche is correct, they are replica, if you say kit, you'll have all sorts of trouble. Look up the statutes that define a replica and bring it with you. I went thru 2 clerks before I got a supervisor who read the law, after that all they wanted was the receipt and origin certificate from FFR, and of course my check.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfernan View Post
    Inspection of what? There's plenty of info on these sites about getting a title in Fl. I'm Port Orange if you want to talk. But my first car, I walked in, showed them the certificate of origin from FFR, paid my taxes and the car was titled. One month later when in and got my tag. Easy. In Florida these cars get titled as a '65 FFR Roadster. They only have to meet emissions and safety standards from 1965. The person you spoke to probably does not know the difference between a kit and a replica. Yes, a kit has to meet the standards of the vehicle being modified. A replica does not. If you want shoot me a PM with your number and I'll call you.

You can also read this thread from the other site. It's what I followed and made everything painless.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...0rd-legal.html
    Hey...we are trying to register a Type65 Couple in FL now and the DMV is saying they do not see Factory Five as a Manufacturer. What is the make that you have on your title? Is it Factory Five? Or FFR? Or something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a scan of my HSMV 82040

Mine says:

Make - FFR
    Year 1965
    Body - RD - yours would be different.

Make very very sure that they are looking at replica information. Not Kit car. Don't even say those words.