Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hurracaine Irma makes me nervous - I'm in the Florida cone currently

Post Thanks / Like

Hurracaine Irma makes me nervous - I'm in the Florida cone currently

After 7 years of building we just finished the paint about 10 days ago. Now this darn Hurricaine is aiming at looks like comin straight up the middle of florida. I am nervously watching this tracker. Gonne probably wrap the doors, hood and trunk, and keep the body on the buc, maybe try to tie it down and cover with blankets and a car cover.

Its in a friends steel 40 x 40 steel garage, pretty sturdy, but who knows.

According to this tracker, Hurricaine Irma may be in my neighborhood on sunday evening, or Monday morning.

Crap.!!!!

Wish me luck !

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...-2017/AL112017
    Last edited by mcwho; 09-07-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, I cannot imagine how this feels. Good luck...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to all in the area. We have a daughter and 2 grandchildren in Boynton Beach, just north of Miami. I expect many on this forum will have connections to south Florida. We are hoping for the best for all.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob,

Just send you a private message regarding bugging out and heading over here.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    How about quickly dropping the body onto the car. At least that way it would weigh 2400# instead of 125#. Best wishes to you and your family.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been through two hurricanes and truly do not want to experience a third especially one of this magnitude. I would bug out if it were me and spend a couple days further North. Good luck and stay safe.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please stay safe folks ... get out while you can ...
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Current trends while not exact have the eye just off the East coast. That puts you on the west side of the eye. If you have to be on the side of the eye, that's the best side. Let's hope Irma continues her shift East. I was going to bug out, but opted to stay once I saw the forecast tracks shifting eastward. Here in SW Florida we should only see some tropical strength winds. Stay safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Prayers are with you - stay safe and don't worry about your FFR.... you and your family are much more important.

Use every resource you have available to get to safety - I actually just helped a couple of our employees bug out by arranging for emergency use of one of our corporate aircraft. Do whatever it takes to protect your family.
    Last edited by Gumball; 09-07-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the same position. Last year it was Hurricane Matthew, and this year Irma. I'll be putting mine up on ramp and jackstands to get a little extra height. Storm Surge is what we need to consider on our Island. Last year's hurricane we had 12.5' high surge and our neighborhood stayed dry. So I'm hoping that we'll be okay this year too.

I'll also be wrapping her up with tarp with bungie cords in case drywall falls in on her. It is indeed a nervous situation. Stay safe!

Dave

Here's a photo I took this morning when bringing around the ramps. I'll be buttoning her up tomorrow.

2017-09-07_09-36-21 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Having dealt with Katrina (2005) we had an insane storm surge so I cannot stress enough to leave if you have concerns.
    It was nearly 30 feet heigh at ground zero which was the Louisiana Mississippi state line all the way to Mississippi Alabama state line.
    Don't mess around if you are in harms way, especially if the storm surge models show that you will be inundated.

Latest Tracking Info From The National Weather Service:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1...?cone#contents

NOTE: The storm surge at my home for Katrina was only 12 feet so Thank God we are built on up on stilts. (Stilts = Elevated)
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-07-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm moving mine to higher ground. Actually, stronger ground. My house and hangar are wood frame and stucco. I'm taking it around the corner to a friend's home that is CBS construction. Good luck everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember folks - you've got a large community of helpful people standing behind you! As Dan Rather would say, "Courage!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I am further north in FL. At a whole 13ft above sea level. That was fine for Matthew which lined up at high tide during a full moon. So I think my mountain top location will be OK.

Trying to decide between up on jack-stands or putting her at a friends house inland.

Keep yourselves safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see I have a few neighbors on this thread, namely jlfernan, and Avalanche325. Thanks for all.
    as of 5:45 pm Thursday the looks like that cone is right on top of me...

here is my Roadster body blanketed up in my buddys 30 x 40 steel bldg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcwho; 09-07-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not looking great for me either, not in a flood zone, but that thing is big, so all I can do is just closing the shutters and pray for the best...

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lineman, trucks, and equipment have left my area and are staging in Virginia. Once they get the word they will go in to put power back. Having been through a couple myself, just take your family out of the projected path and hope for the best upon return.

Wish you all the best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    John4337,

Another neighbor who needs good wishes. its 10 pm on Thursday, the forcast does not look great, hunkering down here.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone can't find a place to stay, PM me. You are welcome to shelter at my place. It's a lot further than most will want to travel, but the offer is there if anyone needs it.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm shuttered up and as ready as we can be. I'm a first responder, so I'm here for the duration. Will be on a 6 in the morning.

Stay safe everyone,

J
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why I left Florida. If only I could get my dad to do the same. He's in Tampa, though, and planning on hosting a hurricane party, go figure. A friend is in south Miami and planning on hanging out in a center closet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John4337 View Post
    I'm shuttered up and as ready as we can be. I'm a first responder, so I'm here for the duration. Will be on a 6 in the morning.

Stay safe everyone,

J
    John,
    Thanks for being there to serve my many friends and family in the area. Be safe yourself and check in here when you can.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    As of this Am the track has shifted so it will going up the Fl peninsula more to the west side than originally thought.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.