FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How close is too close?

Post Thanks / Like

How close is too close?

So I got my QA1 coil overs delivered and put the front ones in place. I put them in upside down so the adjustment can be made from the top. But at the bottom the springs are very close... Like really close.

How much movement is there from side to side. I know most of it will be compression but I think that the tops will also move in. Is there a chance that these are going to hit each other?
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can I would reverse the mounting. JM2CW

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks to close to me - bound to hit. If reversing the shock fixes the problem, then that's the way to go. It may make adjusting the height difficult.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 09-08-2017 at 07:59 AM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too close! But there's an easy fix that so don't give up as having the adjustment easy to reach is worth the extra cost. Purchase the shorter springs and the longer adapters. Also get the bump stop kits while you're at it. I had to do the same on my fronts -- it's really not that big a deal.

I should have given you some part numbers. I'm using the double adj Promo Star QA1 shocks on the front and had to replace the spring adapters ("Caps") with part number QA1-9018-113 $35.94 for the pair from Summit Racing. Use a 9" spring with this set-up and purchase a pair of QA1-BC02 bumpers which will run you $13.94 for the pair also from Summit. This will give you the clearance you need to run them inverted.
    Last edited by NAZ; 09-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What pound on the springs

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The spring rate should not change, but if it's not right now, then you get to buy a third set later. This setup seems screwed up MOD EDIT .../
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 09-08-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Edited - removed bashing FFR text

Post Thanks / Like
    What spring rate are you running on your shocks?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, first let me say that my car is still under construction so nothing has been tested yet but everything I'm doing is engineered and not just slapped together. I'm running a SBC with aluminum heads and manifold backed with a TKO-600 so that may give you an idea of the front end weight on my springs vs. yours.

The original FFR springs on the front were 400 lb per inch and I changed that to a 9" long 350 lb per inch, QA1 part number 9HT350. I prefer to run a softer spring with more pre-load and the longer QA1 springs allow me to do that without coil bind. But before you just pick a spring rate you need to understand the frequency relationship between the front a rear springs.

You're not likely to get into trouble moving the spring rates a small amount but if you go too far you can end up with a poor handling car that want's to porpoise over bumps. My chassis is the "B" model that FFR should have made and very different than yours but my rear shock motion ratio is close to the original FFR so I don't believe you'd have any issues running the stock FFR rear spring rate and a 350 lb/in front if that sounds like something you want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ,

I just got the QA1s from Dan Ruth and am going with the spring rates that he suggested for my configuration. I know he told me on the phone but I have slept since then and have forgotten which ones he sent.

I think for now I may just flip them over as I don't even have wheels yet so it is just sitting on jack stands.

Tim
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere on this forum we discussed flipping shocks before and I can't remember which valve combination is not Flippin Friendly... but I have to keep the single Konis for now to clear my radiator...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd guess he sent you 425 lbs 10 inch springs. That is what I got.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the thread has gotten off into spring, shock, and suspension design territory, but your springs are too close together in that config. As they compress they will come inboard a bit, and doubling that displacement will mean you mess up your nice shiny springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    I know the thread has gotten off into spring, shock, and suspension design territory, but your springs are too close together in that config. As they compress they will come inboard a bit, and doubling that displacement will mean you mess up your nice shiny springs.
    Yeah I have already flipped them over to give more space.

Here is the spacing now...

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now it looks like the shock bottom might hit the frame /spring mount ?

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Now it looks like the shock bottom might hit the frame /spring mount ?

Kenny

Nope, that's just the angle of the photo. They actually sit inside that section and move with no problems.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the silver bodied ffr shocks that cannot be inverter. The qa1s can be? Thanks for numbers NAZ