Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission mount for 700R4

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission mount for 700R4

So I am putting in a 700R4 automatic and have the SBC box from FFR. In it there is a transmission mount.

Is this the correct one? I recall seeing some other postings with the mount being something that had two layers and was thicker. Am I missing a part or do I need to look in another box somewhere?
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    There are also some spacers to raise it up (at least for my TKO there were) and the actual urethane mount that go with it. I remember the spacers weren't mentioned in either the packing list or instructions, but when I fit it up I randomly remembered seeing them (and dismissing as extra parts) during my inventory, threw them in and they were the perfect height. Also, I had to wallow the slots on the bracket on either side out a bit to get it to fit the frame mount slots (they were a bit closer together) due to tolerance issues.

Darth

Post Thanks / Like
    I am installing the same combo right now. My 700r4 trans came from the rebuilder with a mount attached to the tailshaft. It appeared too short. I bought another mount, basically identical, at my local speed shop. Each mount has three threaded holes. The mount from the speed shop also has two threaded studs with an allen hole in one side. I drilled two access holes in the back side of the upper mount and screwed the two allen studs through the first mount and into the second, where they bottomed out. Next I attached all of this to the trans and then lifted the tailshaft high enough to clear the mount you show in your picture. I had to file a radius into each round hole, toward the car centerline, in order to get the lower bolts I chose, to fit through. I used large diameter round washers to compensate for the oblong holes.I then slide the trans backward, using a scissor trans jack for support, until this taller mount setup would sit down on the mount you show. That is as far as I have got, but taking measurements form the engine block mounting holes to the transmission mating face, it appears I am almost exactly where I need to be. My block is a '64 283 GEN I motor with mods. It made 337HP on the dyno @ 5700 RPM. Steve Ashley Albuquerque New Mexico

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just reinstalling my transmission and I have some photos to help.
    Hope this helps!
    IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    There are also some spacers to raise it up (at least for my TKO there were) and the actual urethane mount that go with it. I remember the spacers weren't mentioned in either the packing list or instructions, but when I fit it up I randomly remembered seeing them (and dismissing as extra parts) during my inventory, threw them in and they were the perfect height. Also, I had to wallow the slots on the bracket on either side out a bit to get it to fit the frame mount slots (they were a bit closer together) due to tolerance issues.

Darth
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara Dave View Post
    I am just reinstalling my transmission and I have some photos to help.
    Hope this helps!
    IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG

Thanks for the photos Dave. Between you are Darth Tedious I think I have gotten everything I need.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017