BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood pedal box: Pros vs. Cons

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood pedal box: Pros vs. Cons

This is probably a novice question, but that's OK: I'm a novice.

I'm optioning my kit and I notice the Wilwood Pedalbox option ($520) and do some searching on this forum. I have found a few detailed explanations about how to install it, not to permanently mount the reservoirs until the seats are in, etc, but I can't find WHY I'd want this option.

It looks like the Wilwood setup is not compatible with ABS (which I think I want to keep). Is this true?

Beyond that, why do I want the upgrade? Or why shouldn't I do it?

I'm planning an 818c ('06 WRX based) that will see some track/autocross, but is being built mostly for back roads and putting a smile on my face.

Thank you.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest reason to use it IMHO is the balance bar between front and rear master cylinders (it uses two master cylinders for the brakes). This gives you the best kind of adjustability for front to rear bias. Proportioning valves just don't work well.

You wouldn't be able to use ABS with it unless you do some trickery on the ABS wiring and plumbing since the ABS module has two input lines, and internally, it pairs the input lines to RF/LR, and LF/RR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything Hindsight said! I have one installed -but my 818 is track focused.

It made it much easier to select master cylinders to balance brake pressure front to rear. And having the adjuster/balance bar allows fine tuning front to rear brake balance.

Really not needed for daily driving and there are cheaper ways to balance brake pressure front to rear: different rear calipers would be my suggestion.

That said I'm very happy with my setup.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits