Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Go Karting, Wheel Spin & Tire Pressure Survey

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Go Karting, Wheel Spin & Tire Pressure Survey

Hey Gang,

1. What pressure have you all found to be the best for getting the car to hook because tire spin is very easy to come by at only 1/3 to 1/2 throttle?
    2. I'm into some Extensive Go Kart Testing and am running 21 pounds of pressure on all four corners.
    3. Tires are NITTO 555's with 245/45-17's up front with 285/40-17's out back and have the 3 links set up and standard Red Koni's from Factory Five.
    4. I'm running a Mighty Mouse 383 SBC with 3.73's out back and am likely making in the 440-460 HP with torque numbers in the same range.

Steve

NOTE: My engine specs are very similar to the Edelbrock Signature 383 with a little bigger head, a little more compression, a better breathing single plane intake, similar cam specs and the exact same carb.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/46213/10002/-1

https://youtu.be/aYq4PubfeMU
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-09-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    22-23 psi all the way around
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gordon!

With over 195 builds under your belt, I'll take that answer as being straight from Gospel!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    General rule is 1psi / 100lbs.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    What Gordon said . . . If your Bow Tie engine is cast iron, you might want to go up a pound or two in front. I wouldn't pass 24-25 in front with 245's.

FWIW, my MKII with 302 (425#) runs 275's front @ 22, 315's rear @ 24 when there is two people in the car for a cruise. Normally 2 PSI less when I'm a single. Nitto 555's

Same 3-Link setup, same gearing.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 09-09-2017 at 12:42 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gentlemen!

Post Thanks / Like
    I run 22 on the street when I start fresh and 19 to 22 on track depending on temperature and surface. Actually though since I'm lazy much of the time I run on the street with whatever I left the track with and don't air back up till I get one of those round tuits---which generally don't show up all that often! At 21ish PSI you're in the ballpark and the lack of "hook" is probably rooted more in tire selection than pressure.

You will plant better if you install the control arms using the lower set of holes in the axle brackets. Where do you have yours?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    20 front and 22 rear. The front is low because I like the heavier steering feel and run 275s on the street w/ a ton of autocross camber.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The above pressure suggestions are right in the ball park. Excessive tire spin could be directly related to your rear gear ratio, with that engine in such a light car, I would be running 3:27, maybe as high as 3:55

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I run 22 on the street when I start fresh and 19 to 22 on track depending on temperature and surface. Actually though since I'm lazy much of the time I run on the street with whatever I left the track with and don't air back up till I get one of those round tuits---which generally don't show up all that often! At 21ish PSI you're in the ballpark and the lack of "hook" is probably rooted more in tire selection than pressure.

You will plant better if you install the control arms using the lower set of holes in the axle brackets. Where do you have yours?

Jeff
    Jeff,

I've got the lowers installed in the lowest holes in the brackets.
    I'm getting ZERO tire shake, and boy does she scoot, but I'm pedaling it and even got wheel spin in 2nd gear but I chickened out since I'm sitting on boat cushions with no seats or even seat belt.
    Also, when we installed a similar engine, which wasn't as potent, in my pals 1981 Z/28 we were able to pedal that car to 12.10's and 12.20's with 3.42 R/P on regular BFG 275/50-15' tires.
    Yes, I'm working on installing the seats and belts today because I know it isn't a motorcycle and this car has more power than I had expected it to have.
    I've got the same tire on my C-4 and it does just fine, but is about 1,250-1,350 pounds heavier with 3.55's in the pumpkin, but only does low 13's in the 1,320'.
    Just thought it would hook better because I'm 50/50 front to rear and nearly the same side to side.

Steve

PS: I thought the 383 SBC would have been a nice compromise between what I see installed in most of these cars with push rod V/8's. (Compromise = 302, 331, 347, 363 & 427 SBF Engines)
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-09-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The above pressure suggestions are right in the ball park. Excessive tire spin could be directly related to your rear gear ratio, with that engine in such a light car, I would be running 3:27, maybe as high as 3:55
    Lower gears were not an options since I want to be at 6,000 RPM's at the end of the quarter mile, which will be around 125 MPH in 4th gear.
    Also, since I'm running a ZF-Gear Box (5th gear is a .75 O/D & 6th being .50 O/D) so that will put the engine at 1,750 RPM at or around 75 MPH.
    Operation range is 2,300-6,500 for the head, cam and intake combo, but the engine does run well at 1,750 RPM, but is happiest at 2,000 RPM.
    Thanks for your comment and I think a pair of M/T Drag Radials will be on the car when it makes it's Maiden Voyage to Gulfport Dragway.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-09-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Gang,

1. What pressure have you all found to be the best for getting the car to hook because tire spin is very easy to come by at only 1/3 to 1/2 throttle?
    2. I'm into some Extensive Go Kart Testing and am running 21 pounds of pressure on all four corners.
    3. Tires are NITTO 555's with 245/45-17's up front with 285/40-17's out back and have the 3 links set up and standard Red Koni's from Factory Five.
    4. I'm running a Mighty Mouse 383 SBC with 3.73's out back and am likely making in the 440-460 HP with torque numbers in the same range.

Steve

NOTE: My engine specs are very similar to the Edelbrock Signature 383 with a little bigger head, a little more compression, a better breathing single plane intake, similar cam specs and the exact same carb.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/46213/10002/-1

https://youtu.be/aYq4PubfeMU
    i
    Like others, I'm running about 1lb /100 weight of car. If you want the car to "hook up" like a drag race hook up, lower your pressure to 10 for the strip then back up for the ride home. The car will still break loose at mid track with an agressiveright foot. Scary

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd think a more serious tire would do you better. NT05's, 01's or even a drag radial. You're geared for the strip, use strip equipment.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    My car weighed in at 2467 lbs. I am running 24 psi on my 18s. Hooks up nicely.
    In fact I read so much prior to driving my car about crazy wheel spin that it had me over concerned about it. I can get on the throttle pretty hard with the coyote without it breaking loose. I still respect it of course but driving it is way tamer in terms of controllability than I was led to expect from reading stories on the forum. Some of the stuff I read beforehand had me thinking anymore than 1/2 throttle and Id be spinning out of control into a ditch! lol
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I think a pair of M/T Drag Radials will be on the car when it makes it's Maiden Voyage to Gulfport Dragway.
    Yep, right now you're using a street tire (and not an especially sticky one at that).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Have 22/23PSI in 17" NITTO 555R 245/40 & 315/35 tread wear 100 with 3:55 rear. Car hooks up very well. Have to get off the throttle for the 1/2 shift or traction goes away & the rear wants to ship out to the side. Have been using the BOSS intake to pull some power out of the bottom end car is very strong over 3000RPM to 7000RPM shift.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just got back from 10-15 miles of back road Go-Karting session and the more I drive it, the more I love it.
    Also, from my perspective, the motor simply makes more power than the standard Nitto 555's can handle in 1st or 2nd gear once I get into the engine's sweet spot.
    While the Nitto's will work for regular daily driving, I know now that I'll need a much stickier tire if I'm going to get this car down the track at Gulfport Dragway.
    Thank you all for the feedback for it is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from 10-15 miles of back road Go-Karting session and the more I drive it, the more I love it.
    Also, from my perspective, the motor simply makes more power than the standard Nitto 555's can handle in 1st or 2nd gear once I get into the engine's sweet spot.
    While the Nitto's will work for regular daily driving, I know now that I'll need a much stickier tire if I'm going to get this car down the track at Gulfport Dragway.
    Thank you all for the feedback for it is appreciated.
    The beauty of living in Louisiana. The go cart is a normal looking vehicle in that part of the world. You could probably roll right past the police without them thinking anything of it! haha
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    The beauty of living in Louisiana. The go cart is a normal looking vehicle in that part of the world. You could probably roll right past the police without them thinking anything of it! haha
    Boy Do You Know Louisiana Well!

So far I've waived at by a couple of Sheriff Deputies and even had the honor of taking a State Trooper for a ride this morning.

Love living in the land of the Go-Cup, Where The Bars Never Close & Where You Can Pick Up A Daquerie At The Drive Through!

No Seats, No Seat Belts, No Body, No Problem!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did a total of 25 Go-Kart miles today in between painting my seat brackets.
    Tomorrow we hope to have real seats and real seat belts.
    The power is absolutely over the top insane.
    It makes my daily feel like a Yugo.

Daily Driver:
    https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-09-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running about 22 psi front and rear with Nitto 275 front 315 rear, with about 500 ft lb at the crank I can't hardly get the tires to stick. You don't have to dump the clutch, all you have to do in 1st is press down on the gas and it jumps from 1k to 5k in a couple of seconds and the rev limiter kicks in.

How are things in the Big easy these days I was at Bell Chase for a couple of weeks after Katrina with the National Guard and it was hard to see all of the destruction it cause.

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a total of 25 Go-Kart miles today in between painting my seat brackets.
    Tomorrow we hope to have real seats and real seat belts.
    The power is absolutely over the top insane.
    It makes my daily feel like a Yugo.

Daily Driver:
    https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs
    Don't bolt your seats in till you place the body on the frame. The body can affect the seat placement if your are trying to get maximum leg room.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post

How are things in the Big easy these days I was at Bell Chase for a couple of weeks after Katrina with the National Guard and it was hard to see all of the destruction it cause.

Rick
    Rick,

N.O.L.A. is back; however, the city still has a lot of issues as it always has.
    The Central Business District Demographics have shifted quite a bit since a lot of the older buildings have converted/turned into residential condo units and boutique hotels, my old office included.
    While I will always love this place, the culture, the muisc, the food, the wide variety of people, I'll never move across the pond (Lake Pontchartrain) because of questionable politics and crime.
    Consider coming down fo Cruising the Coast (Mississippi Gulf Coast) which is the 1st week of October and maybe spend a little time eating in N.O.L.A.

Steve

https://cruisinthecoast.com/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-10-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    Don't bolt your seats in till you place the body on the frame. The body can affect the seat placement if your are trying to get maximum leg room.
    Thanks Doug,

That's why I have the doors in place so I can see where the body is sort of located.
    I've got the Breeze Automotive brackets which really give a nice slant to improve comfort.
    I'll be okay because I test fit them with the body on, hence the reason for Go-Karting with the doors in place.

Thanks!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you complete the car it will gain a couple of hundred pounds, which is a 10% weight increase. So, I wouldn't rush to judgement on tires and traction until that point.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you run a wider tire? (currently running 285?) also, are you running a full tank of gas? (additional weight in the rearend)

Also, just a caution about go-karting, has it been licensed? insured? (if not, you are running a serious risk of liability and forfeiture) Just be careful!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!